Monday, August 17, 2009

post-gym


post late-night gym, originally uploaded by daniellehampton.

Don't you LOVE when you really, really don't want to go to the gym but then make yourself go? It's the BEST feeling afterward. I didn't feel like going at all tonight but I forced myself to do my workout rather than push it to tomorrow, and I am really proud of myself. I workout about 6 days a week, and I do it mainly for the mental/emotional effects. Obviously it's nice to be in shape and look good, and that is also very important to me, but I swear, if I didn't workout regularly I would be an insane person. Exercising definitely keeps me sane and I love it. I was such a competitive athlete when I was younger and all through high school that it is completely ingrained in me to do it everyday thank goodness. I grew up watching my mom in aerobics and my dad doing insane workouts so it's all I've known. I try to mix my workouts up a lot, between classes (spinning, yoga, pilates) and traditional cardio machines (I'll usually do 45 minutes to an hour of cardio when I am at the gym). I avoid running long distances now because it hurts my knees, but I can comfortably do about 5-6 miles. That's it though. My most favorite thing to do though is weight train. I do a 3 day split with one day off, so I work each body part twice on a good week. Do you like to workout? What is your weekly routine?

9 comments:

  1. Lurker here. I'm fairly new to the whole exercise thing, but I definitely agree about feeling good after forcing yourself out.

    Lifting at the gym three times a week, and jogging either around the neighborhood or on the Peavine three times a week. My only problem is I'm an EARLY morning kind of guy (Like 4:30 early), which means I'm limited to gyms that are open 24 hours. C'est la vie I suppose. :)

    Keep up the great blog, I love seeing Prescott from your point of view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only working out I do is pilates everyday. I love it.
    Fortunately, I basically walk for a living. At my job, I probably walk anywhere from 1-3 miles a shift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wishhh I was as dedicated as you! I go about 4-6 days a week, but I've been slacking lately, which is no good. I do about 45-60 min of cardio each time I go as well. I alternate body parts when it comes to weight training, different parts on a different day. Weight training is my favorite as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need need need to figure someone out, exercise-wise...Post baby, my body is not the same. Any suggestions for someone who has NEVER exerted herself before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo feeling that way about my class tonight. Was meant to have a class this morning, braved the terrible weather to get there and it was cancelled! I've just got to the stage of not feeling cold and the thought of having to go back out to my second class tonight is just awful, especially as it's not got any dryer or warmer! Brrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That should read DRIER or warmer. The cold weather has frozen my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am training for my fist 1/2 marathon so mostly I have been running. I try to run about 25 miles a week; 3-4 short runs and one long run. I also try to take a couple aerobics classes a week; right now my gym is offering this great bosu class. On my off day I try to do a yoga class, so much for a day off. I agree, working out keeps me sane. I love totally zoning out on a run, not even noticing how many miles have gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i work at a gym. spin is all i do. the best class we offer :] i need to force myself to find other things before i burn myself out on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh you guys, thanks for all the comments, I love reading them. You all are the best!

    Tombocheck: very nice to meet you!

    Cherie: email me, danielleahampton@gmail.com if you'd like any pointers!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips