Sunday, October 18, 2009

Anxiety


don't feel good today :(, originally uploaded by daniellehampton.

Does anyone else struggle with feeling anxious? I think maybe if I could change one thing about myself it would be this. It's not so bad that it debilitates me in any way, but it's annoying when I don't fee like myself, and it's annoying when it ruins parts of my day. It's hard to explain what triggers it, but if I start to feel rushed or panicky, I begin to feel very overly stressed out, like nothing I'm doing is right. The only people I have found that can help in these situations are my Mom, sis and Hank. And even with Hank, he has had to really learn how to deal with me when I get like this. It's definitely not a common thing, but when it does happens it's really upsetting and I know I have to take some time and just sit and breathe until I feel okay again. During this time I hate to be touched or even talked to, it only makes things worse. In my lifetime I have only had about two or three full blown panic attacks, the last being in 2006, in the shower (weird I know), and I'm happy to say I definitely know how to handle it. Heat is something that really triggers my "panicky" feeling, and I don't mean like summer time heat, but more so really hot showers like I mentioned above. The few times I have actually had anxiety attacks have been in the shower, as odd as that sounds. Who knows if that's a common thing though! So this morning I woke up with that feeling- luckily I went to workout right away so that helped a lot but the feeling still lasted all the way through breakfast and I still feel a little weird now. I know tomorrow is a new day and I am looking forward to waking up feeling great! When I'm feeling sad or anxious I think it's easy to forget that there's always a fresh start, and it helps me to think about the fact that I will more than likely wake up tomorrow feeling a-okay. This photo I included is from this morning while I was checking my email pre-outdoor workout, I look annoyed and I guess this is my "I'm not feeling so hot" face! After writing this, I feel a little weird, as it was a little personal, but whatever, I'll leave it. :) I hope I didn't bore you with ramblings about my sometimes sad days. I know we all have them, we just don't always talk about them.

Have a wonderful end of your weekend blog friends!

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. I'm a lurker to your blog... but I wanted to say thank you for sharing this. It helps to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing :)

    I can totally relate and have to say you're so lucky to have found what works to handle the panicky anxious feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, thanks for sharing. This is something that rings a bell with me as well. Thankfully I've not had a panic attack in many, many years *touch wood* but I do still get an enxious feeling every now and then which I really have to try and fight off, especially if somethings a bit different in my life. And yep, it definitely helps to feel you're not alone! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a few in my day. So, I totally understand the icky feeling. I'm so sorry. I just hate hearing when you're blue or in this case, anxious.
    LUV you lil sis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel anxiety usually in fearful situations. Today I left work because of stress/anxiety, but usually I feel it coming on and am able to chill out. My husband is very patient :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have serious anxiety problems and panic attacks sometimes. Mine are most often brought on when I feel hot (but not shower hot, like outdoor heat, sweaty hot) and in an enclosed place like an airplane or a crowd. It's real, real horrible and I hate it. I have been this way my whole life though, so I just deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i get anxious over EVERYTHING. there's always something to be on the edge about, anxious and stressed. if im not stressed over something then i get anxious for not having anything to stress about. sometimes a mix of breathing techniques helps and sometimes nothing does!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for this! i can often turn what other people wouldn't think twice about into something the world might end over, all in my head... or sometimes i just have a more general sense of tension over nothing. i've started to notice that i've been grinding/clenching my teeth in my sleep, so i'm hoping to find ways to calm my anxiety! thanks for sharing; i totally related to this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi there! i'm a newish reader and i was just going thru your blog, which i love btw...and i came across this one. i had a pretty serious bout of panic attacks about 4 yrs ago. and now i still get anxiety symptoms but not really full blown attacks anymore. i've done a ton of things to get to this point. and i never thought i'd be able to do that! it's actually more common than you would think. a lot of people suffer from it, but maybe don't like to talk about it or don't really know what it is. it's been coming up a lot lately, this morning with my friend and also on a different blog i read. now that i've started to reach out about it, i realize i'm not alone in this. so anyway, just wanted to tell you that you aren't alone and there's nothing wrong with you. it's just your body's way of telling you that something is off and it's great that you take the time to sit with yourself do some breathing. if you ever have any questions about any of it or coping skills my email is kelderkin@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips