Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ups and downs

HECK YES TGIF!

So, I've been thinking about how in many of our blogs, we usually just write about the happy stuff, the easy stuff. Why do we want to clutter up our own little corner of the internet with sad ramblings and depressing topics? I think many of us try to just put our best face forward, and I know that although I do share my day to day life with all of you, I don't usually share things in my day that get me down, or make me sad. Because really, why would I? But I think it's important to be open and honest, and for the most part I think I've done that here. I am typically a very happy person. But like most things in life, there is a down for every up; an equally negative reaction for every positive one. In my life I've had struggles with depression. My best friends know that I tend to go through mini-cycles, and when I'm up I'm great- I'll stay in touch, I'll want to hang out. But when I'm down, I retreat into myself and cannot and will not be coaxed out to talk or spend time with anyone until I feel like it. In my younger years it was worse. As I get older I've learned how to cope and deal with my ups and downs and I feel that I pretty much have a handle on it. My downs don't last for any more than a day, and I would even say they're reserved for the more hormonal times in the month. But like I said earlier, I think because I'm so incredibly happy, and I feel those emotions so strongly, my ups are up...but my downs and very down, very low. Hank can attest to this. Certain things attribute to me feeling down- alcohol consumption for one. And I definitely do not get sad while drinking- I am the happiest drunk in the world! But a few days later I can definitely feel a little "low" hit me. Some other "sad" triggers: not getting enough sunlight, if I don't work out regularly or eat healthfully, if I don't get enough sleep, if I let the house or my classroom get even a little messy, or if I get behind on anything in my life (grading, etc). So basically I've learned to manage all of these things, and luckily I don't get sad too often anymore. I know emotions are a normal part of life, but like anyone else, I try to avoid feeling down as much as possible! So, in the spirit of actively pursuing happiness, I thought I would make a list of things I do to "get out of a funk," and I hope you will add to the list!

-working out outdoors! Although I am a total gym rat, if I am feeling low I know I need to go outside. Once the fresh air hits me I am a transformed woman!

-listening to sad music! Weird, I know. But for some reason if I listen to emotional songs it's almost like an outlet for me and when I'm done listening it cheers me up quite a bit.

-watch funny videos on Youtube! Hank and I have some tried and true favorites that always, always make me laugh. King Curtis is probably my number one go to dude for this job- he is hilarious.

-look at old photos! I am a total photo person and take pictures everyday. It makes me happy to see myself happy and to remind myself of how great life really is!

Okay so those are a few of the things I do to keep myself going when the going gets rough!

What are some of your sad triggers? What are some things you do to get out of a funk?

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I have a lot of issues with foods that I eat affecting my mood. Sadly one thing that affects me really bad is chocolate as well as yellow food colouring and coconut. If I eat them a couple of days later I will be super emotional for a couple of days then really worn out and tired for a couple. Luckily I know what foods affect me so I can try to avoid it but sometimes I don't realise. Like the other week we had chinese from our usual place which never affects me then the next day I felt like I had been beaten up and been drinking all night. It wasn't nice. Sorry about the comment being so long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled with moments of depression for a long time. Sometimes I'm too hard on myself and it ends up taking a toll on my mind and body. I'm generally a pretty happy personl though.

    Sad triggers:
    -being inside all day
    -being away from Scott for a long period of time
    -school stress i.e. Mass amounts, insane tests

    Things I do to get me out of those funks:
    -time with Scott
    -going out to get coffee
    -going to Target or another store

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am in a funk I love to have a good long cry - I usually put on Steel Magnolias or Fried Green Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sad triggers are:
    -eating poorly
    -not working out regularly
    -crummy weather
    -being alone all day

    The things that always help me get out of my funks are:
    -going on drives
    -running
    -coffee dates with my best friend
    -watching the silly videos on webbls-stuff.com
    -going to the bark park

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh you read my mind with this post! i can literally be like two different people when i'm either depressed or happy. i've been in this ugly, sad funk for weeks now. ick!

    triggers:
    holding in feelings from sad events, deaths, etc.
    staying inside all day
    eating shitty food

    i need to:
    go to he gym
    clean!!
    keep busy and productive
    go out with friends
    stay up on grades
    keep busy!

    good to see you've conquered your depression. it keeps me hopeful that i'll get out of this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this blog couldn't have come on a better day when I myself am in a funk and was going to blog about it later. I too struggle with the alcohol depression...I'm great during but the day or two after can be a real nightmare for anyone around me.

    Things I do to get out of a funk:
    ~go hiking or really anytime i can be outside when I'm alone in the quiet
    ~read (try A Year of Pleasures- very heartwarming)
    ~write or read old writings I've done
    ~yoga or even just some deep breathing
    ~baking (lately)
    ~spend time with my dad
    ~painting (I'm terrible at it but its a nice release)

    For anyone who struggles with depression, which I think women struggle with more than men, its important to recognize it and work at the things that make you happy. It takes effort on your own part to be aware and really try to facilitate things in your own life to bring joy. When I was younger, I used to think happiness was something that happened to people. Now I know its something I have to make happen and I try to work at it every day.
    Your cheerfulness and positive side is a real inspiration to many people in your life! But its ok to know that we all have crappy days too. Thanks for this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy reading your blog especially for entries like these. I've been in the worst funk for at least a month now and just haven't been able to get away from it. It may be my huge lack of gym time and me staring at my belly for too long (haha). Thanks for this though, I needed ideas for getting up.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips