Saturday, December 26, 2009

Saturday

This morning Hank and I woke up fairly early and went to visit my Grandma on my Dad's side. It was wonderful to see her, but at the same time incredibly sad because her speech and mental capabilities have dramatically diminished since her last stroke, about a year ago. It's heartbreaking because she knows what she wants to say, but the speech area of her brain was badly damaged, so it sounds like gibberish. The only bright spot is that wherever her brain has gone to is a really beautiful, happy place, and she seems to be in good spirits, considering. It's just so sad to see a family member go through that and not recognize the people they've known their entire lives. I had to fight back tears throughout the visit, and it was hard to leave and see her waving from the window in her wheelchair. I wish people didn't have to get old and be in pain. It's so upsetting...

When we left my Grandma's Hank and I had to do some returning, so we stopped by H&M and then went to Green for a quick lunch. The rest of the day was spent doing errands- we dropped my Angelique print off at the framer's, got Hank new shoes and button ups, and stopped by Coldstone so Hank could get a milkshake. Besides this morning this visit has been incredibly jam packed with all of our family in from all over the place, and we still have to celebrate another Christmas! I am hoping we get the Flip cam we've had our eye on, so we'll see. We are heading back up to Prescott in a bit and I am excited to get there and organize all our new stuff. I also got some new wood cleaner for our floors and I can't wait to try it out! Sounds weird but organizing and cleaning gets me excited. Annnnd...tomorrow is a certain best friend's birthday! Fun.

I'll leave you with some photos-

Good morning!
good morning!

Saturday shoes
Saturday shoes

dropping off my print- soo excited to get it back next week!
dropping off one of my gifts at the framer's

"Marie"

another little Angelique print, matted and framed
little Angelique print, matted and framed

15 comments:

  1. wow I love your painting!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My greatgrandmother had a stroke when I was quite young. She lived with my grandmother for a few years and I spent my summers at my grandma's. I was so young that I didn't really know how to communicate or make her feel like I understood. Its definitely rough.

    On a lighter note, mm Green! We haven't been in like 2 months! And that print is fabulous.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry about your grandma, that's the reality of aging and it's so sad.

    Great print and the framed one looks amazing, I can't wait to see the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about your grandmother.
    it's always tough to see loved ones going through things like that.
    some people just run away from it; it's so good of you to stay by her side, even if it's hard to see.

    i love your saturday shoes.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LaHUV the prints. they are totally awesome and so you. can't wait to see them in the house. kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just started following your blog today and cant stop reading. You are a very inspiring, interesting, and honest person :) thank you so much for sharing. Ayden x

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute shoes!

    thats sad about your grandma. I hope mine stay in good health :( x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, let me know what wood cleaner you have and if you like it!! Also, we got a flip cam and it's soooo much fun! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. love to you, danielle, with your grandma....so tough, and sending you lots of strength. your good energy is so supportive to her, and i love your courage to go see her.

    the Angelique is GORGEOUS...my goodness!! what a dynamite gift....looks like it will perfectly accent your already delicious style!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your prints! So lovely!! I get really excited about cleaning and organizing too!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one! I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. It's so sweet that she has such loving family members to care for her and visit her though! Really cute Saturday shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always hard to see loved ones go through something like that. My
    grandpa had several strokes and it became too hard for my grandmother to take care of him. He was stuck in ww2 its good that yours is somewhere
    happy. On a brighter note those shoes are cute and I can only imagine how excited you must be to see that print finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love those shoes!!!

    sorry to hear about your grandmother. :( i hope you had a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about your granadmother hun. I know that is hard, my grandfather has been pretty bad after his stroke too. It's hard to see him not be able to do so many things but, the fact that your grandma is in a happy place is a beautiful thing, and maybe she hasn't forgotten you guys, maybe she just pictures you guys in a different way, like memories of you as a little girl playing with her or something, I'm really sorry sweety, Hope you're feeling better. Love your print!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw sweetheart,really sad to hear about your grandma:( it is so upsetting,especially when you think of how they used to be.i hope you're okay,keep that pretty head up xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindsay- I'm so glad you guys ended up going to Green! YUM!

    And thank all of you for the supportive words- it means more than you know.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips