Monday, January 4, 2010

Good first day back!

Despite waking up and being completely annoyed that I had to go back to work, and even dwelling on this negativity the entire 5 minute drive to work...I managed to turn my attitude around. It's pretty hard to stay down and out when you have so many smiling students greeting you with big hellos. I love my job. I spend most of my days laughing and having fun- teenagers are seriously the most entertaining people. Don't get me wrong- some days are horrid, some kids aren't all smiles, and nothing is perfect...but most of my days are pretty darn good. It's the only job I could see myself doing and I'm glad to be doing it. I adore my teacher friends at work, and they, more than anything, make my days so awesome.

It's funny how I rarely write about the annoyed or negative times in my life. I choose not to, but I think it's important to note that even though I may write about being happy a lot, I also have super down moments and I can sometimes be quite the moody gal. I usually can get over my moods or sadness pretty quickly, but they still exist. I think it's important in our little blog world to know that no one is perfect. No one is happy all the time. There are days when I feel so frustrated or full of anxiety that I want to just curl up in a ball and cry my eyes out. There are days when I look in the mirror and nothing I do with my hair or outfits look right. There are days when I have that whole poor-me mentality and no one can cheer me up besides Hank. BUT in a weird way I like those days because without those, good days wouldn't be as good. I've gotten a lot of questions in my formspring over there about "how am I always so happy," and I guess that is what prompted me to write this. I'm not always happy. I'm happy most of the time but even that is a choice. I choose not to complain, I try not to fill up the world with more negativity. I strive to surround myself with beautiful things and people with good hearts. That all helps.

With that said, I appreciate all of you visiting my blog. I've had so many new readers since my friend Elsie added one of my blog buttons (that she made for me, thanks again sweet girl) to her blog's friend section. If you've recently found my blog, either from Ms. Elsie or from somewhere else, welcome! I hope you have fun reading what I have to write. Most of this is about my husband and me, and our beautiful life in this small town- silly photos (way too many of me!), stories, and adventures. I really enjoy blogging, and I started writing here a little over a year ago to document our life so we could look back on it, and so our family could keep up with what we were up to! I'd written in a livejournal since the 90s, but wanted something a bit more accessible and public. I'm a writer by nature, and this is not just a creative outlet, but also a way for me to get so many of my thoughts out of my head and into the world. I usually try to make a little bit of time every evening to blog here, and the more I do it, the more I love it. It's truly something I look forward to each day. Now that my readership has grown a lot more than just our family, I've had a lot of fun getting to know so many new people in the blogging world. I'm looking forward to continuing to document our life, especially as some new chapters start to open in the near future! So again, welcome! It's a pleasure to meet you!

*This post has been brought to you by Hank in a pink snuggie! How I convinced him to let me take this photo I'll never know...

how I convinced him to let me take this photo, I'll never know...

28 comments:

  1. hahahaha! Great pic! I must admit I did stumble upon your blog from the lovely Ms. Elsie & I must say I am so glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts daily! You are a very positive person & I hope you know that it is very contagious! Thank you!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just started reading your blog today and how so strange...i just changed my major this morning from education to english in hopes of teaching high school english and eventually college level english! wow wee you are a huuuuge inspiration!!! and well....snuggies....they just RULE!!! does your dog have one!?!?!
    ~adreinne K~

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you pretty girl! i'm so very glad you choose to keep this public - you've motivated me on my "down" days...to go to the gym, to smile, to keep working on staying positive no matter what! i'm very glad for all your new followers, that they can get a piece of what i've already gotten from you this past year.

    hope your week is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hank looks happy in that snuggie.

    hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol so Hank DOES have teeth! (i follow you on twitter) :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my pink snuggie. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as a high school student, I can say that the first day back from break is always somewhat agonizing... plus i'm only at my current high school for two more weeks until I go to middle college at the beginning of second semester--so these two weeks are pointless, but mandatory :(

    p.s. hank's smile is so adorable! you must convince him to show his teeth more often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cos no matter what colour it is, deep down he knows snuggies are the best ever :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, Jesse and I got snuggies for Xmas and as much as I used to tease the idea of a snuggie, I love mine! So comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Noooooooooooooooo! not another snuggie!!!!! lol.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QW3bInxgmc

    haha my favorite commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha! I love the photo!

    And I'm so glad you had such a good day back to work. It's so good you have a job that you enjoy...that's so-very-important.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Great photo!

    I get that a lot as well, about staying happy all the time. I love that you wrote this. I wish people would remember that we choose what we post. It's not our entire lives that we put out there!

    Glad your first day back at school was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. poor Hank, he is never going to live down the "no teeth" thing. haha. snuggies are so warm and comfy, i just love my cheetah print one! also, regarding Hank, he looks a bit like Nicholas Brendon (used to be on Buffy, now on Criminal Minds) such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha! great picture.
    well I found your blog through Elsie and I have really enjoyed it so far. Thanks for sharing your life and being so open and honest.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your blogs, and now I don't even remember where I found you. I love that pic of you hubby, hilarious! Enjoy your first week back at work :)

    xoxo,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  16. i woke up so grouchy today and feeling overwhelmed and i know other people have those moments too but it's a nice reminder on a day like today that i don't always have to be happy. so thank you for putting that out there! and the pink snuggie picture put a smile on my face, thank you for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure how I found you exactly. Glad I did though! Very positive attitude about even the negative, that's great. It sounds like you're a wonderful role model for all those kids you teach.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL @ Hank in the pink snuggie. I have one up on you & have a video of Glenn dancing in one ;)
    I did indeed make my way over here from Elsie's blog. After reading a few of your posts I immediately connected with the fact that you're an English nerd {like me}, have tattoos {like me}, and are married to a musician {like me...except mine's not my hubby yet}. So glad I found your little corner of the web! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol! this pic totally made my day! thanks guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well said! I think it's easy to look at blogs and the like and think life is perfect for whoever you're viewing, when of course it isn't - it's life!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, I'm really glad you addressed this ( that you actually get sad) because I also wonder, how can I be as happy as you are. It's good to know that it's normal for me to have a bad day too :)
    but you've also inspired me a lot to let the little things not bother me as much as they did before. Thank you so much!
    :)
    ps: AH! I absolutely love that picture of Hank! Hilarious! Never thought I'd see the day of a man wearing a snuggie! Now time go to bother Ben about snagging a pic of him in my cheetah one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hank smiled and he looks great! :)

    Glad your first day back was ok!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you're the best. I don't comment alot due to time, but i love reading your blog every day. you're a huge inspiration, and a major doll.


    tons of blog love from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm happy to say that I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and cannot get enough of it! You are so cute and adorable and I found you with the help of Elsie's blog :)
    I love your tattoos (I have some myself) and I love the relationship you have with Hank. You guys seem like you were meant to be! <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha, love the snuggie picture. My husband has one, and love it. But I don't think he would let me take a picture of him wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh. I was thinking of being a high school English teacher. I just finished my BA in English and am thinking about the next step. Your blog is intriguing. I'm glad you touched on the realness aspect. It makes sense that we as bloggers post mostly positive things. I find that when I stumble across a blog that features someone just complaining about their lives, I won't stick around long.

    However, I will keep reading yours because you are no such blogger. (Congrats to your sister!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish it was easier to have such a happy outlook on life like you do. I have a harder time getting over my bad/frustrated moods.

    Cute picture of Hank. It's always great to get one of those pictures of men that normally they'd never let us take.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips