Monday, February 15, 2010

Dear My-So Called Life,



You were my most favorite television show growing up, and still hold that title. I remember watching you on Thursday nights on ABC, when I was about 12, and those few months you were on the air were so wonderful. Even though I was younger, I felt such a connection to Angela Chase. I often felt awkward like she did, and like her, I remember feeling like the world was so weird and strange and confusing, but yet so beautiful at the same time. I would wear my Doc Martens and steal my dad's flannel shirts, layering them over floral dresses, feeling "so Angela." When I first laid my little eyes on Jordan Catalano, I fell in love, right there in my living room. He made my preteen heart skip such a beat, and I really feel that somehow his character set a standard for the type of guy I wanted to date. Interestingly, this pattern is evident in many of the guys I would choose throughout middle school and part of high school. Throughout your run on television, you touched on so many issues that would later become very important to me. I would find my very own Rayannes throughout my teen years, some Rickies too, and of course many Sharons and a Brian or two along the way. I remember my 12-year old stomach flipping when Jordan and Angela shared their first kiss in his car, and feeling like I was right there with her when she did a hop, skip, and twirl when he drove away. Your episodes were so real to me, and as I grew up- finished middle school and attended high school- you became so much more relevant. Thank you for being an honest show, thank you for being something that I could relate to so much. It's funny, because as an adult, now I relate a lot to the older characters in the show. When the English teacher is reciting a Shakespeare poem, and suddenly Jordan has an a-ha moment in the back of the room- I got that. I felt what the teacher felt, and it was weird to me to relate to the instructor, rather than Jordan. But that's growing up. And I'm so happy to feel like my most favorite show will always be relevant. I watched Juno the other day and noticed a My So-Called Life reference, and it made me happy to know that someone out there "gets it," just like I do. Whether I'm 25 or 45, I know watching those episodes will take me all the way back- back to feeling like I'm 15 again, flirting with boys, driving around past curfew with my friends, trying to quietly slip back into my house so late at night, going to shows, sharing secrets, first kisses with "that" boy...

So thank you, My So-Called Life. You were an integral part of my adolescence, and I will always, always love you.

Sincerely,
Danielle

20 comments:

  1. I loved this show as well, and I still like floral dresses and docs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaggghhh this was totally my favourite show... I was 15 at the time & dressed exactly like Angela! I still melt when I see Jordan (Jared Leto). He is sooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for starting my day off with such a sweet memory! That show will always be my fave too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED My-So Called Life and had totally forgotten about it until now! Man, that was a good show.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Love that show. We got to watch some of the episodes in my interpersonal communications class in high school which made that class AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I ADORED this show and since I have the box set, I often watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha this brings back memories, I used to watch this with my best friend! I hadn't thought about those days in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was already married when this show came on but I still watched occasionally. My daughter is a freshman in high school and I actually have this in my netflix queue to watch with her. I think she'll love it as she often feels like the outsider among her group of "friends". Thanks for sharing this sweet clip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i couldnt agree more! ahhhh! my husband's first love was Claire, and when he married me he said he found his 'claire', it was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that show! I was so sad when it was canceled...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was a little older when that show was popular, but I can understand how you relate to different characters over time. For me, I hated Thirty Something when it ran, but I saw some episodes years later (when I was in my 30s), and boy, could I relate!

    I also had a weird moment during Twilight -- finding Bella's father more attractive than Edward or Jacob. I felt VERY old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting that video!
    I remember taping that episode and watching it over and over until the VHS tape got blurry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my faves too, but I watched it as reruns a few years after it aired...

    xo,
    susannahbean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh i remember this! I was also mooching about in flannel and DM's about that time. Thanks for this!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I flippin' love this show! I was so sad when it went off the air. 8(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog and style! Check out LVCmag online to enter the AvenueDebutGirl search, where you can be entered to win a $1000 shopping spree! We do a feature on each AvenueDebutGirl, and would love to feature you! Details are on http://www.lvcmag.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is AWESOME. Jared Leto will forever be Jordan Catalano to me and I will always want a burgundy-red bob and plaid.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips