Sunday, February 28, 2010

Our engagement story

where Hank proposed- for my blog :)

Three years ago today, February 28, 2007, my husband (then boyfriend), got down on one knee and proposed to me, in that very spot marked by the heart in the photo above. Looking back, it's amazing how quickly time has marched on, but at the same time, it feels like we've been together our entire lives. Back then, I remember thinking how long it would be until we were actually married, and now we're finishing up our second year of being husband and wife.

We had been talking about getting married for some time, and he had even given me a promise ring during Christmas of 2005. It was a gorgeous pink sapphire and diamond ring that Hank had wrapped up and put under the tree. At that point we had been dating for about a year and a couple of months, and I already knew I wanted to marry him. Hank was still touring very heavily with his then-band, Life in Pictures, so it made me especially happy to be able to look down at my finger and think about him, and our commitment, while he was off gallivanting around the country.

December 25, 2005


2005


Fast forward to February of 2007, and we'd been together for about two and a half years or so. Even though I had always known I wanted to marry Hank, it wasn't until this point that it started to become "real." We talked a lot about wanting to tie the knot, and even about how I didn't want a big "to-do" when he asked- just something simple and sweet. More importantly, I wasn't too sure how he was going to afford a ring, because at that point in our lives were were in a totally different financial situation, and diamonds are expensive! Silly me, I didn't notice when suddenly all of Hank's records (ones he'd collected for years and years), and all of his KAWS Companion figures went missing. It didn't occur to me that he's be selling these things to help pay for my ring...that sneaky guy.

2007


The night he proposed it was freezing. We had just gotten through a large winter storm, but the cold had lingered and it was almost uncomfortable to be outside. Throughout the previous week Hank had asked me to go out to dinner numerous times, but being me, I wanted to stay in and cook, or go to the gym, or go to bed early. So I consistently turned him down. Looking back, this is hilarious because I couldn't figure out why he was so insistent on going out to dinner. Luckily, I eventually agreed and we headed out to Thai House, which is where we had our "first Prescott date." We both got the House Special D with tofu, and sat and talked for a long time. I can recall that although it was freezing outside, it was a beautiful night- I can still remember looking at the window at the street lights, and hearing the wind howling through the downtown.

After dinner, Hank insisted that we walk around the square. Again, being the difficult (and clueless) girl that I am, I said that I was too cold, but if he really wanted to walk around he could drive us down the street (literally one block) and we could get out and walk. So that's what we did. We got out of the car and began to walk around the square. At this point, not only was it really, really freezing, but it was super late. Not a soul was around. I didn't think anything of our strange impromptu walk until Hank said, "So, uh, how are you?" That's when I knew something was up. When you live with someone, when you've been with them for years, when you just spent two hours talking over dinner...you don't ask the person how they are! My stomach immediately did a flip and my mind started running wild. Was he breaking up with me? Why is he being so weird? Is he okay? Am I ok? Are WE okay? AHH!

As I was zoning out, lost in my barrage of self-questioning, I didn't notice that we had stopped walking and were just standing there. I snapped out of it, and looked at Hank. I can remember his words exactly: "I can't wait any longer, there's something I need to ask you," he said while dropping to one knee. At this point, I was in shock. Was this really happening? I looked down into the kindest eyes I've ever known, and my heart melted, right then and there. Yes, this was really happening. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a little black box, opened it, and proceeded to say the sweetest things anyone had ever said to me. Or, at least I think he did. Let the truth be told, when he opened up that ring box, I was literally blinded by what was inside. I had no idea a ring like that was in the cards, and I was absolutely shocked. I blanked on everything Hank was saying, including the "will you marry me?" so I stopped, and asked him to REPEAT it! haha. He repeated every word, I took it all in, and then said "Yes! Yes! Yes!" and we cried and hugged and kissed and danced around in the empty downtown, streetlights casting shadows across the lawn, lost in our own little world, together.

0285

The entire rest of the night is a daze- I know we went to his Mom's, then to his Dad's, and I called my family and best friends to break the news. I was blown away that he had designed the ring himself, and had done such a good job. It was perfect.

Before Hank came along, I was a fan of dating as much as possible, but never settling down. Although I knew I always wanted to get married and have kids, the idea seemed so far from where I was that it became unreal. As more and more time passed with Hank by my side, that dream became more of a reality and when it finally happened, it was almost shocking. Three years later I can still remember what it felt like to say "yes" to the idea of forever. I can still see the tears in Hank's eyes as he smiled and told me I was his soulmate, that he would always take care of me, and never let me down. I can recall the way everything around up stopped for a brief moment, how we were the only two living people in the entire world.

I'm so thankful.

I love you Hank, and as always, thank you for keeping your "promise." :)

love

61 comments:

  1. Ahhh wow!
    This was a beautiful read and I actually got rather tearful!
    I dream of that day where all those dreams come true - you have given me hope that the love does exist, for awhile I've been thinking that it doesn't...
    You two are a beautiful pair and I wish you many more happy years so deeply in love!
    Adore your blog!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! *sniff* xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was lovely! And thanks for sharing. On a day where my best friend tells me she is engaged, and then to read your story.. it helps to melt my cold cynical heart a tad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, that made me get a bit tearful! Hank is quite the romantic, isn't he? You two are so wonderful together. It's so beautiful to see.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay, i love cute engagement stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rooomantic:)It's the real happiness to meet a man, who wants to take us us we're. It's a rare thing nowdays! All the best for YOU:) and...nice to read your blog here, in Poland:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man that made my heart melt. you are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, how cute are you two???! What a beautiful story and ring! Wishing you all many many more years of love and happiness together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a good story teller! Thank you for sharing! Many happy happy years to you & Hank!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic. You, so adorable and clueless and Hank, so persistent. That story was amazing, I definitely got choked up. I am extremely impressed that he sold his record collection for your ring! How perfectly sweet of him! I'm so very happy for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a darling little story! :) i love reading about people's love stories. one of my biggest goals in life is to have a love story someone could write a movie about. ;) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beautiful beginning to your entire lives together. ive been wanting to do a post like this for a while, thanks for the inspiration!

    you two are such an adorable couple, you can tell in all of the photos you take together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a sweet story!!! The 2 of you make the cutest couple. Happy engagement anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GORGEOUS STORY! *teary eyed* i love the world "soulmate" it's a common word in my life.

    you worded that all so perfectly! i LOVED this story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for sharing, love hearing engagement stories and your was especially adorable.
    hope you had a wonderful weekend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww what a beautiful story, I want that too, It's like fairy tale !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, this is so beautiful! I am tearing up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just teared up a little bit. so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like everyone else, I teared up, and I don't do that easy! This is so beautiful. You two seem like such a perfect match, so lovely xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow thanks for sharing that beautiful story with us! It warmed my heart and I even caused a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw what a totally sweet story - I love reading engagement stories!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely post! that is such a beautiful story and it made me feel so happy.

    i'm very happy for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful story...thank you so much for sharing! I might on Wednesday for Awe Wednesday (a routine article I am starting) of posting my own engagement story. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was the sweetest post ever! I loved hearing about it! You guys are the most adorable couple!!! LUV!
    Maybe I should do one of my own for posterity?

    ReplyDelete
  25. this story is just lovely. oh man, i cant wait to find my forever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing story! Beautiful ring! Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. that is such a sweet story. I hope mine is just as awesome when I get engaged :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this story so much!!! You guys are such a beautiful couple!

    P.S. Thank you so much for having my blog button on your blog! I'm honored. =) That picture has been deleted tho. =( It needs the new code to show up. I'm sorry!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww, how adorable! I think it's so cute how you were so clueless about what he was up to and kept turning dinner down, etc. I like how it was such a surprise for you. :)

    Stunning ring, but more importantly, stunning couple! You guys are awesome and very inspiring. I wish all happiness. <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. I completely teared up reading that. I hope someday I can be as sure as you were that you wanted to be with Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  31. To love and be loved is the best thing. I am happy to say that i have been in a raltionship for 4 and a half years now and im looking forward for my story to continue.
    It is beautiful. :)
    so is this post!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sooooo sweet!!! I just love you two as a couple. So inspiring for a young'n like me who's crazy in love with zero money and a long time before we're gonna get to that place!

    ReplyDelete
  33. aawwww, that was a cute story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ya'll are the cutest couple! Hope you enjoy many years of happiness together!

    ReplyDelete
  35. this is the sweetest story... i absolutely loved reading it, it warmed my heart! :) thank you for sharing... it's nice to read that there is a still "old-fashioned" love stories these days. you two are darling. <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful story - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. My fiance just proposed feb 21st. :) so reading this was enjoyable! my hunny spelled out "will U marry me" in fireworks on a board at his mom's house. i thought we were there for a "game night"...i was so wrong. :) it was perfect. he worked on picking my ring out for a month! he had the diamon special ordered and the band also. it's just perfect and one of a kind! thanks for sharing your beauitful story :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. SO, I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I'M READING THIS AT WORK AND IT TOOK EVERYTHING IN ME NOT TO CRY! This is an amazing story of love. You two not only make an adorable looking couple you seem to be utterly in love! I love it! Ive been with my boy for about 5 years now and I can't till the day he asks..... le sigh

    ReplyDelete
  39. I absolutely adore this. You guys are a match made in Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful story. I love the ring, you two make a cute couple. I just recently got engaged as well so of course I'm googling Engagement Stories and yours popped up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just read your engagemant story.
    It's was so romantic! My eyes started to tear! That's so beatiful that he went through all that trouble. That's true love right there! I'm so happy for you guys and congrats for the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just found your blog today and I really like it. You have such a beautiful family and I LOVE your tats!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. what a touching story! i hope I find the right guy for me soon! stay in love! God Bless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. How cute, what a beautiful engagement sort and stunning ring!!! I recently got engaged and I just love hearing other's love stories and proposals and I found you through the recent post on "I Believe In Unicorns"...so fun! Congratulations on everything including your marriage and being a mother since this special moment and blog post!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is such a beautiful story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Aw! What a great engagement story! Such an amazing blog too, happy that I'm just finding it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. AH! I love reading these stories. :)

    That ring is just beautiful! He did such an awesome job!

    Your family is so sweet! Love to see true soul mates!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am so glad he takes care of you. Thank you for sharing and warming my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  49. as i was reading this, i can't help but sigh in awwwwws and ahhhhs... this is so romantic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a wonderful story and a beautiful ring! No wonder he had to sell a couple of things to buy it ;-) But, I'm sure you are worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh that is such an adorable story! I absolutely love it. Especially the part where you didn't want to go on the walk with him. That is totally something I would do. I am so happy for you two!

    Mia |
    Engagement Rings in Los Angeles, CA

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, that's such an amazing gesture that he sold his records and figures. So romantic :) My fiancé and I love a good love story and believe these special moments should be shared. I think your story is amazing and would love for you to share it on our website http://ourengagementstory.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Beautiful story and i must say i am astonished with your <a href="http://http://www.b2cjewels.com/engagement-rings.aspx>engagement </a>story. May you always be like this.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips