Thursday, February 4, 2010

Quick and EASY dinner idea: baked Sriracha tofu

Hi everyone! I wanted to share a super simple vegan dinner idea with all of you...baked Sriracha tofu plus veggies and grains. If you're unfamiliar with Sriracha, it's a spicy, spicy sauce that's works in all types of foods, but particularly works best in Asian dishes (in my humble opinion). With that said, if you decide to make this recipe, it's VERY spicy. Hank and I eat tons of spicy food (I order my Thai dishes "Thai hot" if it gives you an idea of what I like), so this isn't a big deal to us. But my Mom, for instance, couldn't handle it. (Love you Mama!) :)

Baked Sriracha

So here's what you need for the whole meal-

1 block extra-firm tofu
Sriracha sauce
couple of cloves fresh garlic
half box/bag of fresh spinach
salt/pepper
brown rice
pinto beans (or any bean)
veggies of your choice

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Drain the tofu and press the liquid out of it using paper towels. Once it's fairly dry, cut it into slices.

3. Squirt (yes squirt- the bottle has a twist top! haha) some Sriracha into a shallow dish, and coat both sides of your piece of tofu.

4. Line them on a non-stick bake sheet and place in oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until you can tell the top is looking a little more firm/crispy.

5. At the 15-20 minute mark, take the tofu out of the over and flip each piece over. Squirt a small amount of Sriracha on each piece, and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon. Put the tofu back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so.

6. While the tofu is finishing baking, heat up the beans, cook or reheat the rice, and whatever other veggies you'd like to include. Tonight we used an organic steamed mixed veggie bag in the microwave.

7. Additionally, while the tofu is finishing up, chop up about 2 cloves of garlic.

8. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet, and when heated, add the chopped garlic. Brown on low heat.

9. Once the garlic is browned, add spinach. It looks like a lot at first, but it will quickly cook down. Keep moving the spinach around in the olive oil until you reach a consistency you like. I prefer it to be soft, but not too mushy. If you've never cooked spinach this way you'll see what I mean while you're cooking. You can also add salt/pepper to taste.

10. Remove the tofu from the oven, making sure it looks slightly crispy on the outside.

11. At this point, you should have quite a few finished products, depending on which parts you chose to make- rice, veggies, beans, spinach and tofu.

12. Plate and enjoy!

So, this was a super easy, throw together ingredients kind of meal. The tofu is nothing special- I just kind of made it up but Hank and I love it...and I hope you do too. It's also yummy to use in a sandwich, or on top of a salad! And remember you can always substitute the Sriracha with anything- soy sauce, bbq sauce, peanut sauce etc! This meal is such a good mix of protein and veggies and grains, and 100% vegan! Awesome.

Let me know if you try it.

:)

27 comments:

  1. "dude, we just made such good food" - Hank on said dinner. It looks great! Wish I could eat the tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thanks so much for posting this I've been busting for it. You're such a star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious because it's an EXACT combination of the stuff my boyfriend and I love. I love tofu (he's not a huge fan), he loves Sriracha (I can only handle it in small doses). I bet if I made this, we'd both learn to love it :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, looks good! I'm not much of a spicey person, but I definitely want to try this out. I never thought of baking tofu (know idea why). Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks amazing! i always wondered how to make my tofu nice and crispy! and i love rooster sauce its the best ever! especially on pasta! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy! Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum, I can't do spicy very well but I love baked Tofu. Some of my favorite ways to make it are with a honey mustard marinade or coated in egg (egg replacer if vegan) and breadcrumbs, sort of the way you'd start out eggplant for eggplant parm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so yummy!!
    I love thai and order mine hot!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwwwwwwwww yuuummmm! I'm vegan and i really liked this recipe! *_*
    you are such a cutie ^_^
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh sounds amazing . tonight we are making a stir fry with a bunch of veggies and my fav baby bok choy and peanut sauce yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! totally making this! anything with sriacha is yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa! This looks so awesome. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious! I can't wait to try this out...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing. Even though I'm Mexican I haven't had much experience with Siracha sauce {fail lol}. So I'm curiuos, on a scale of 1-10 how spicy is this meal?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am completely addicted to that Sriracha sauce! I sometimes plan entire meals around my craving for it, haha. Om nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Siracha (aka "rooster sauce") is also delicious on hard boiled and/or deviled eggs. I often add it to asian noodle soups for a bit of kick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, Danielle! I am going to try this tomorrow! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I'm SO excited to try this! I love new vegan meals...especially those that are spicy!

    I usually use cornstarch to help absorb the additional water out of the tofu, so I'll have to try just dabbing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay! i'm sharing this with my newly vegan friend asap.
    also...tofu...did you immediately like it? or did you have to get used to it? i can't seem to get past the texture, but i keep trying...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. holy moly, that looks delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! My boyfriend has been on/off again vegetarian for a while now and this would be something wonderful to make together! Thanks Danielle :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing! This looks delicious and easy, I'll definitely try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so happy all of you thought this looked so yummy! Try it, you won't be disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i will have you know I tried this because I saw it on your blog. Can we say: addicted? Because I am! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummy!!!! Thank you for this post! I am going to try it out tonight!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips