Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday = fantastic

Today was SUCH a great day at work. My sophomores and I played this really fun "game" where I tell them to get out a piece of paper and tear it into three strips. On one strip they write a setting, on another they write a character, and on the last strip they write a situation. The three things don't have to be related since I put them in separate jars. Then we draw one from each section and write them on the board...the kids then have to write the first paragraph of a story encompassing the three story elements we randomly drew. Then we read the stories aloud and they were SO GOOD. I was dying from laughter at some of them. The kids are so creative and it was a really nice segue way into our short story writing unit tomorrow...plus, I think they all really enjoyed it. :) My Seniors are beginning our "book club" unit where I let them get into small groups and choose any novel they want to read together, and I give them assignments and projects throughout the time frame. It's neat because they have the opportunity to really pick something they like. I'm excited to hear their choices tomorrow!

When I got home from school Hank and I decided to spend some time outside, so we got Madeline in her little harness and spent a good part of the afternoon in the sun. It is SUCH a nice day today and it was so nice to be outdoors and downtown. We're going to do our usual Tuesday night Hugo's trip in a minute, and then snuggle up to watch LOST. If you didn't know, I love LOST, and Hank and I are both super into it. I'm sad it's ending, but I am really curious to see how they tie up all of these loose ends. Are any of you LOST fans? :)

I will be back later tonight with Tattoo Tuesday of course, but for now I will leave you with some photos. I hope all of you had a lovely, lovely day!

It truly feels like spring today!
It feels like spring today!

taking Madeline on a walk

pretty downtown
pretty Prescott

:)

Hank and Ms. M.

on the courthouse steps

Madeline walking me...
Madeline walking me...

She can jump SO high!
She can jump so high!

February shoes
February feet

walking

so cute

33 comments:

  1. Aw such cute pictures!! Looks like such a lovely afternoon walk! I really like the game you described that you played with your sophomores! It kind of sounds like it would make a fun board game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THOSE TIGHTS!! Where are they from? They're super cute.

    Teacher question: when you grouped them into their book club groups did you let them pick their own group or did you decide who works together?

    & soooo excited for LOST! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too fun. I love the pics, such a nice day. Here too, but we are not that far apart.

    I do love lost too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your english classes sound so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, you guys are so adorable! I'm glad you had such a beautiful day to enjoy together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish that I had an English teacher like you in high school! Let us know what books they pick, pretty please. I've found that the teens I used to work with had great taste and I ended up reading books that I never would have chosen for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your outfit!

    "Book clubs" were my favorite part of my senior year AP English class! I hope your students like them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous! I can't wait to have a nice sunny day to play outside!

    I LOVE that dress! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable outfit as usual. love those gray tights. I can't wait till Josh & I get our Boston Terrier when we move. Did you guys buy from a breeder?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great pictures, it looks like it was such a nice day out. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you can walk around with a sleeveless dress. It's freezing here!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks great out where you are! glad you got to enjoy a nice time out with your two loves!

    i loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love our pretty state :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love reading your blog because I am currently an English Language Arts major and want to be a high school English teacher. It encourages me to read about how much you love your job and your students. I can't wait to start teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love love 'Lost'. It is absolutely fantastic. Always love reading your blog and glad you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cara-Mia: they are the brand Hue...you can get them at Anthro, Nordstrom, etc. And about the groups- I let them pick their own.

    Anna- we got from a breeder, a woman who lives down the street from my parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. your outfits are always so cute, you looked super 60's in the picture walking down the steps with your pup! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where are the shoes from? Love them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for answering my questions. :) I'm going to keep an eye out for those tights.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm such a huge LOST fan! I've only just gotten back into it and catching up from series 4! I was away most of the time it was on and just completely forgot about it when I had chance!

    It's messing with my mind so bad.

    Ace blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the writing idea. I think I will adapt it to work with my sixth grade writing group which meets today.

    I'd love to know what books your students choose to read in their book clubs.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ps- I'm so jealous of your nice warm weather! Check out my blog to see the un-godly amount of snow we have right now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lost Lost Losttt! I love Lost! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Lost!! I was sort of disappointed with last night's episode. I was hoping they would explain what happened to Claire, but I guess I'm going to have to wait until next week. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute pictures, the weather does look lovely! I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love LOST so much, sometimes i feel like i am in the story. :) ha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man, you guys are just too cute! Hurray for spring weather!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your sunglasses!

    I'm jealous of your gorgeous spring day! I need spring in my life asap!

    ReplyDelete
  28. adore LOST!:) love seeing when other people appreciate it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. May I ask a hair question? I was wondering if you get yours professionally dyed or if you DYI? I do mine at home but am starting to wonder if it's more worth it to go to a salon. I really like your colour!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The pictures are great and make me miss Prescott. It is sad that I live in the Valley and haven't been back to Prescott in about oh 7 years! My husband and I were going to make a trip up there Valentine's Day (that's where we met and I grew up) but he ended up sick on the couch, so hopefully we can make that trip soon!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i LOVE LOST!!! but because of roller derby practice, i have to wait to watch it on Wednesday mornings . . . sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your adorable 'classroom tales' make me SO excited and happy to go back to school to become an english teacher. xo.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips