Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday

Wednesday

love that little face

Today was a fairly non-eventful day. School went by quickly and pleasantly. My sophomores worked on vocabulary (some of our words are vociferous, discern, and obviate, if you were curious) :) and finished up Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder." My seniors continued our documentary unit with the end of "Food Inc." Very fun day overall!

I wanted to share a book recommendation with all of you, and I will try and continue to recommend a book once a week or so, as requested! One of my students gave me this book to borrow a few months back, and it quickly became one of my favorites. It is a young adult book, but I still really enjoyed it and got into the story right away. You can click on the book to view it via amazon.com.



Have any of you read it? Two of my ALL-TIME favorite books are "A Wrinkle in Time"(another YA book- but a classic) and "The Handmaid's Tale." If you liked either of those books, or books like "Brave New World" or "Fahrenheit 451" you will be into this series. If you don't like books set in fictional, futuristic time periods, or science fiction-esque writing...you more than likely won't like this book! BUT I still recommend though, because due to it being a YA book, it's an incredibly quick and engaging read and you never know if maybe this is a genre you will end up loving!

The Hunger Games is set in a dystopian society- a futuristic post-USA, where the nation is divided into districts, and led by an insane government/dictatorship. The main idea is that each district must send in two "tributes," or representatives to fight in the Hunger Games each year- a televised "to the death" battle with only one winner. The purpose of the Games is to remind the districts and common people that they are just pawns in the government's hands, following an uprising many years ago. The book is so much more than that though- there is a love story finely woven throughout the chapters, and the best part is...it's just book one of a three part series! Book two, "Catching Fire," is JUST as wonderful (if not more wonderful), and I am anxiously awaiting book three, which will be released this summer. They are also currently beginning film production of this book, which is always exciting.

If you check it out, let me know what you think! You can find it in the Young Adult section of your bookstore, or online of course. It's been really neat for me to be able to suggest this to many of my students, as it is completely classroom and age appropriate, but in my opinion, just as intriguing for readers of all ages.

So, I hope all of you had a great day. I've been feeling a little "off" lately, and I'm not too sure why. I finally feel better tonight, which is making me happy, but it's just really annoying to not know why you're not feeling 100% yourself. I'm just going to chalk it up to feeling a bit hormonal and leave it at that. Oh, how wonderful it is to be a girl. ;)

This week has literally flown by! Tomorrow, then off to Phoenix for a quick trip that is all about Alana and Erin and celebrating their birthdays. I really can't wait to spend another weekend with my lovely girlfriends. AND, baby Carter is due to arrive next week. So much goodness happening right now. I hope that goodness is finding itself in your neck of the woods, wherever you may be!

Have a great night!

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, one of my favorite books! It was recommended to me last year and now I'm having everyone I know read it. I simply can't wait for the third one. What a perfect recommendation Danielle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to give this one a go. The Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World are two of my favourite books. Thanks for the recommendation!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book is sitting next to my bed right now in my to read pile of books! I'll have to give it a shot next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this book! I am pretty sure I didn't take a single break once I started reading it until I was finished! Same with the second book.

    I teach sixth grade and wish I could reccommend this book to my students. It is a little to violent for most of them, although I have a couple of really high readers that would enjoy it. Although, Collins also wrote the Gregor the Overlander series that my class really gets into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the book recommendation! I need something new and fun to read before school starts =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find I don't have as much time for reading anymore. University is just taking up too much of my time! I have got a book on the go at the moment though, called "The Rehearsal". It's taking me a while to read it, but I am really enjoying it. I think I might give this book a go next - it sounds really good! Who knows when I'll get round to reading it though, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard og that book.. Think I will look it up in the bookstore soon!
    Such cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I´ll have to check if this book is published in portuguese. I LOVe Brave New World and the book you recommended sound a lot like The Running Man (http://www.amazon.com/Running-Man-Stephen-King/dp/0451197968/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265279561&sr=8-7), that I also loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ronise- it is very reminiscent of Running Man. But I liked the Hunger Games better because the characters were relatable and I cared about them.

    I am also eagerly awaiting the third book.

    Another YA series I'm reading with shades of King is the Gone series. I just finished the second book. It is definitely more violent in a scary way than HG but some kids are ready for it.

    I have recommended both these series to my sixth graders. The Hunger Games series is very popular among our sixth graders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll definitely have to check it out - I've been looking for new books to read. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks so much for the book recommendation. i'm terrible at choosing something to read and usually rely on friends to tell me what they've enjoyed.
    i really like the handmaid's tale and 1984, so it sounds like i'll like this one too.
    thanks again danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I love a brave new world.. thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds really cool! Always looking for new reads. Thanks for the recomm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to teach elementary school before I had my son! So nice reading about the life of a teacher! I just wish my high school teacher was cool enough to let us read cool books like food inc. oh that would have been awesome! Just watched the documentary on it the other day...crazy! Hope you keep feeling 100% i hate those funks too!!!

    xoxo Des

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the books recommandation! I was looking for a book that i could read on my new kindle so i ll check if i can ;) for not feeling 100% yourself i understand... I have been off myself recently :( hormones like you said it!!! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pics are so cute!

    I love love LOVE that book & Catching Fire! I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. icam currently reading "brave new world" and i LOVE it! so i might have to get this book after i'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in LOVE with The Hunger Games and Catching Fire... absolutely love them and yes they are incredible!!! I am dying for book three to come out and for them to cast this movie already so I can see who the chose!! Team Peeta! lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think my uncle told me to read that book- now I am going to have to read it. I am always looking for new books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you're so pretty. :)
    & I'm also going to have to pick up that book, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For those of you with iPhones or an iPod Touch there is a FREE kindle app available. It is just like the regular kindle...you buy books from amazon for MUCH cheaper than in any bookstore and are sent electronically to your device. You always have a book with you via your phone or ipod. Seriously the best thing since sliced bread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh I studied 'The Handmaid's Tale' in college. I loved it! :)

    I need to get a copy and read it again :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. That book sounds interesting, I might have to add it to my list!

    Some of my favorite YA books about a dystopian future are Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras). The first two are especially good, but I've read them all several times.

    ReplyDelete
  24. freakin' love this series. cant wait for the new one this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor Phoenix, as of April 1st they will have to pay a 2% tax on food...that's just not right.

    Hopefully the weather will be nice for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm definitely interested in reading "The Hunger Games"!! We just read "The Handmaid's Tale" in one my literature classes last summer and I loved it. Thank you for the recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips