Monday, March 22, 2010

Back to work I go...

Saturday

Oh, Monday. A Monday like today is especially rough when it's the start of not just a new week and the first day back from vacation, but the first day of a new quarter. Granted it's the last quarter of the year, but it's a bummer to have to snap out of vacation mode and get back into work mode so abruptly. I write all the time that I like my job, love it even, and I really do, but sometimes I wonder if I just enjoy it so much because I know there's a time stamp on it. I couldn't ever imagine doing this for the rest of my life. A few more years maybe, but I could never be one of those admirable people (like my inspiring Mama), who teach their whole lives. Knowing that I am going to be a stay-at-home mom when Hank and I eventually have kids kind of makes it much easier. Don't get me wrong, my job is incredibly rewarding and I smile every single day knowing I'm making a positive impact in my students' lives, but it's not quite a "career" for me. I hope that makes sense. :)

So, today was a good day at work. My sophomores and I started Fahrenheit 451 today (it's probably the 25th time I've read it!) and I'm excited. I love this book a lot and I hope they do too. This week should go by fairly quickly, and then next Friday we have off! So excited. Amber is coming home to Prescott for a visit and we will be heading down to Phoenix so she can get her very first tattoo. I can't wait.

Also, I've been reading tons of books lately, but one in particular I wanted to mention: "The Last Song," by Nicolas Sparks.



This book was recommended to me by one of my students, and I have had it for a couple of weeks, but didn't pick it up until recently. I won't give anything away, but I thought it was absolutely beautifully written, full of emotion and overall just a fabulous read. I spent the last 40 minutes of the book crying pretty hard, and it was amazing that it had affected me so deeply. I recommend that all of you read it, and please let me know what you think! The movie opens this weekend, and I am so looking forward to it. I researched the film a bit earlier today and found out that Nicolas Sparks actually wrote the screenplay before he wrote the novel, and Miley Cyrus actually named her own character Ronnie. I know a lot of people are skeptical of Miley- I personally am a huge fan- but after reading the book, I feel she was perfectly cast. In fact, I think the entire movie was. Miley and her love interest in the film are actually dating in real life too, and I find that really sweet and it will make for great on-screen chemistry I'm sure! Here's the trailer:



Have any of you read the book? Are you SO excited to see it? I am literally counting down. Fortunately my friend Robyn is going to see it with me, so I don't have to drag Hank to a movie he definitely doesn't want to watch. Yay for girlfriends!

I am heading to sleep, but I hope all of you have a wonderful night. I'll see you tomorrow night for Tattoo Tuesday!

xoxo

31 comments:

  1. I hate Miley Cyrus!!! Before I watched the trailer I was kind of interested to read the book but not anymore... Sorry, I guess we all have different opinions and tastes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Of course. To each their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for understanding.... Love, love your blog by the way, you are to cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate her, but I am really excited to watch the movie... the books amazing, so I know the movie will be.. SO excited!

    and yes, monday, boo, haha. I went back to school

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw that book at the book store and I thought about reading it ;) I have never read any of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. danielle, i love miley cyrus too! and not because i have a teenage daughter either... because alanna could care less about her. i think i fell in love with her after watching her on oprah, haha. she seems so level-headed and down to earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knowing that there's a chance I could be a stay-at-home mom some day makes going to work easier for me as well. I enjoy my job as well but I work with infants and toddlers, and I couldn't imagine dropping my child off at daycare just to take care of other children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just read the last song this past month. my best friend had suggested it to me & when i heard miley was going to be playing ronnie i was skeptical at first. but i can totally see it now. it was a great book! i hope the movie is just as good!! i cried all the way through it. especially the last few chapters. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading Dear John and seeing the movie I knew I had to read and see more. I like to read the books before user the movie. Usually i'm disappointed but I wasn't with Dear John. I CANNOT wait to see The Last Song. I think we finished the book around the same time the oter day and I was crying and crying. Suuuuch a great book. Miley seems really sweet and perfectly cast. I like her. My nieces went through a huge Hannah Montana faze, so I've gottn to know Miley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Miley too!
    What would you like to do after you become a stay at home mum, what are your plans if you do decide to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never read the book but I guess I should. And I want to watch the movie, that's for sure. I am a sucker for those kind of movies. It sure screams for a girls night out =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm viewing my job the same way... I'm a restaurant manager but I'm looking forward to having kids someday soon & I really can't seeing myself doing quite the same job afterwards! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the book too! & though I have no serious feelings for Miley, I do feel like she will play this role perfectly. I can't picture anyone else playing it actually! I can't wait to see it either! Glad to hear I'm not the only adult who is highly anticipating the newest Miley Cyrus flick! haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched the trailer a few months ago, and have been so excited for it to come out ever since! I JUST text my best girlfriend asking if she wanted to go see it with me since it's coming out this weekend. And I'm currently looking on amazon.com to try and pick the book up for cheap! Thanks for the reminder, and please follow!

    http://caraalynn.blogspot.com
    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE her, and I am really glad that you talked about this book in your blog. I haven't read it, but I am leaving for Mexico for spring break this Friday and have been scrounging for some good books to bring.

    If you haven't read them yet, I'd recommend Water for Elephants, Atonement, The Time Travelers Wife and White Oleander.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally want to read this book too! Love Nicholas Sparks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so young to be a teacher! I don't recall any of my teachers being so young, or cute. Do you have to cover your tattoos when you teach? I'm curious because my girlfriend is a teacher here in Toronto and she has to cover her tattoos to be in accordance with our school board's policy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Nicolas Sparks! He's amazing. I don't know about Mylie but I do want to see the movie. (Who knows if that'll ever happen! haha)
    Can't wait to hear the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really want to see that movie/read the book. I don't like miley that much BUT i loooooooove greg kinnear. any excuse to see him in a movie and i'll take it

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't hate her. I don't think it's fair to hate anyone who I haven't met and who hasn't tried to kill me or something. haha However, I do go back and forth about her. She seems really sweet to me.

    I think I will see the movie, since you recommend it; however, I will wait until I can add it to my Netflix queue. :)

    I hope your Monday went well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I....despise Miley Cyrus. Her acting and her singing are fine I suppose, but I feel like she just has no class at all. I don't know. When it comes to young actresses, I think Dakota Fanning is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I happen to have just finished The Last Song a couple of nights ago...I thought it was really true to life and very emotional. I hope the movie is as moving as the book was.
    Very lucky for you to know that you won't be in this profession for the rest of your life. I have to work somewhere, so I don't really know what I would do without my teaching job that really does make decent money for around these parts. But, like you, I aspire to leave this job one day(hopefully sooner rather than later)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i hate miley cyrus and i dont plan on watching the movie...it looks really cute, and like 'my kind of movie', but their choice of lead actress complete killed it for me...however, i absolutely love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally understand what you're saying!I teach third grade and I love my kiddos. However, I don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. My husband and I are working towards me getting to stay home when we have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  25. DANIELLE- my gma got me the last song for my plane ride to new york. and i cried the last 4 chapters too hahahaha it was a good cry. i got mad at jacob bc he interupted my cry...then i apologized to him for getting snappy. i loved it.
    and i cant wait for the movie!
    did u like dear john?

    Brandi from http://muchomuchobuenobueno.blogspot.com/2010/03/other-sister-perfect-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm reading this book right now! I'm only a few chapters in but so far so good. I don't know too much about it so I'm excited to see where the story goes.

    I just finished reading Dear John also. I've always liked Nicholas Sparks and A Walk To Remember is one of my very favorite books by him. His books ALWAYS make me cry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I thought I'd be able to leave the classroom behind as well, but life didn't work out that way. I was lucky enough to stay home 15 months with my oldest, but only able to be home 3 months with the baby. Kinda a bummer. I know what you are saying about the career choice...one day I actually hope to leave teaching too.

    A friend of mine has been to a few Nicholas Sparks dinner parties and says he isn't very nice. Weird huh being as his books are so sappy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was definitely way more excited about Dear John BUT I will be going to see The Last Song when it comes out. :)
    I just read the wedding and wasn't as impressed. I guess I'm still too into the Dear John story. For some reason that one just stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey lady. how is your school district with tattoos? do they mind if they show or do you cover them pretty well? your sleeve looks pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips