Friday, August 6, 2010

Dear Henry,

H for Henry

Dear Henry,

You should be here in just over 100 days, maybe more, maybe less, and your Dad and I are just over the moon excited about your impending birthday. We've likened it to waiting for a dear friend to visit- we've put the date on our calendar, marked it with a big red x, and now we are just trying to make everything perfect for your arrival. But in this case, it's not just any friend's visit...it's our son's homecoming. Time is speeding up, and at the same time, it seems to be dragging along. I'm trying to really take in all of these last moments before you get here, because I know nothing will ever be the same.

Recently I've thought about the fact that you will have the ability to look back on my words one day, and it's interesting to think about what you will think when you read letters to yourself, learn about what you Dad and I were like when we were young, and enjoy so many stories and photos. I can't even begin to think what it would be like to be able to read such a detailed account of my Mom's! So on the days when I just don't feel like blogging, when I don't feel like documenting everything, I think of you and I think of the future, and I have no problem finding the time and energy to come to this space.

I feel like I'm already a better person having become your Mom, even though you're not quite here yet. I'm venturing into uncharted territory, and although I'm scared, there's something in me that knows this is right. You are the most amazing gift in the world and it's indescribable how it makes me feel to be bringing you into this world. I can't even fathom what it will be like once you are in my arms, when my day is all about you, when your Dad can rock you to sleep and call you his son.

There are so many things I want to teach you: to love everyone- to love every single person on this planet no matter who they are or where they come from. Not to judge, not to be mean, to have an open heart and to play and have fun and be a kid for as long as you can. I want you to embrace life and take it in every single day. I want you to look back on your childhood with fondness and feel way down deep in your heart that you are really, truly loved.

At the end of each day, if I can look at you and know that on that day, I did the best I could to love you, I will feel like that day is a success, and if I can look back on my life and know that it was filled with day after day of days like that, days full of loving you, then I will have lived a good life.

See you soon,

Mom

31 comments:

  1. love this.
    you're going to be an amazing mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, Danielle. It is evident that Henry will be so loved and raised in a beautiful family. Enjoy this time of anticipation! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so beautiful, Danielle! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are the cutest. Henry is so lucky to have such adorable, loving parents :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!
    I used to write letters to my son when I was still pregnant :) :)
    It's so sweet.
    xo, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that was beautiful.
    And you have a gorgeous wedding ring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet mama you already are! I love what you want to teach little Henry!! I def. felt like a better person after I adopted my sweetie pie girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beyond happy for you!! you'll be a wonderful mother. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's such a brilliant idea : ) you're such a good mom already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very sweet! I'm not a mother yet..but reading your blog makes me look forward to it someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful letter!

    My husband and I do not have children yet, but want to one day, and your words say what I imagine impending motherhood to be. Thanks for sharing this with all us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. <3 So adorable! Made me well up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful, Henry is going to be an amazing little person because of you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful, Henry is going to be an amazing little person because of you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness! this is so amazingly heartfelt and wonderful. i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm about to cry over here! Henry is a lucky, lucky boy to have such an amazing mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a touching and beautiful post! Henry will be lucky to have you and your husband as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh gosh, this just warms my heart. It's such a beautiful blog and thought. I do look forward to the day when my husband and I are ready to start a family. It's a weird thing to write that i dearly want a son of my own and to be a mother right now, but the timing isn't right. time and age has done funny and expected things for me to help me see timing before my own personal impulsive nature. I'm so excited to read each step of your way and kind of live thru you... in a non creepy way. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is such a wonderful post/letter. i love that you have had the opportunity to plan for and slowly experience this little thing called motherhood. i kind of wish i could have had a more "normal" pregnancy the first time around... and maybe even with malcolm. you are so lucky to have the life that you do. and baby henry is so lucky to have you as his mother <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. WONDERFUL post. so beautiful and loving :-)
    and WHERE did you get this locket from!??

    ReplyDelete
  21. this made me cry... so completely wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. so lovely. it made me swell up inside and almost cry. you are an amazing mother. i hope to write to my child like this someday.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips