Saturday, August 28, 2010

Soundtrack to happy

We all have those songs in our lives, the songs that when we hear them, they take us back to a really wonderful, happy time. Music is powerful. Some of my most vivid memories are attached to different songs, and different times of my life can be recollected when I hear certain albums. Recently I was driving in the car, listening to my ipod on shuffle, when a particular song came on that I hadn't heard in some time, "Everything Must Go" by the Weakerthans. Immediately I was brought back to 2004, and waking up at Hank's house, that song being the alarm tone on his phone every morning. Hearing it made me feel like I was right there, waiting for the leaves to turn orange and red and yellow up in Prescott, laying together for hours, being young, and getting to know everything about one another in a time that really was the very beginning of us. This song reminds me of Hank, it reminds me of the fall, and it reminds me of the two or three days I would spend with him at a time, as we ventured into long-distance relationship territory during that autumn. When I hear it I feel inspired, I feel so very alive, and it truly makes my heart skip a small beat to think about what a wonderful, naive, and blissful time that was. Young love.



Almost exactly a year later we moved in together to our first place, and August fell away on the calendar as September arrived with an autumn chill. We celebrated our first anniversary, one year together during that month. Unfortunately I was incredibly sick, to point of not being able to leave the house and go on the romantic date Hank had planned for us to celebrate the occasion. I was stuffy, my stomach hurt, and I was experiencing the tail-end of a bad flu. I remember feeling beyond disappointed and let down. This wonderful man, who I'd spent the last year of my life falling in love with, had tried to plan this beautiful evening, and all I could do was sit on the couch in my pajamas and try to muster up the strength to do just about anything. I was so sad, and as the night progressed I only became sadder. It must have been 11 o'clock pm when Hank suddenly got up from our little nest and plugged in his ipod. All of a sudden Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" came on the speakers, and Hank reached for my hand. There, in our 1905 shoebox of an apartment, the streetlight illuminating us through the window while the wood floors creaked beneath our feet, we had our first dance to that beautiful song, to celebrate a most wonderful year. Three years later I'd hear that song again, when we shared our next "first" dance at our wedding. To this day, no matter how many time I hear it played, I still get the chills thinking back to all of the memories tied to it.



Do you have any "special" songs that remind you of a wonderful time? If you're inspired, post about it on your blog, and share the link here, or just add a comment telling us what song strikes a chord in your heart. I'd love to know!

Love,
Danielle

25 comments:

  1. Displaced by Azure Ray and Soco Amaretto Lime by Brand New will always remind me of the beginning of my friendship with my best friend. The songs still bring me back to those exact moments, and I remember what the weather was like, how happy or sad I was, etc.

    Ps! That is one of my favorite Weakerthans songs. Also, you write so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! <3 And thank you for the topic today. I have so many songs that hold that special place in my heart, but I decided I'd narrow it down and write about a few on my blog.

    http://positivelypositive-posidanielle.blogspot.com/2010/08/songs-straight-to-my-heart.html

    You are wonderful!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really needed to read this, along with the things you've learned in your 20s. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Danielle ! Music does have a way of moving us. My hubby and I watched "once" on our 2nd date... So anything by swell season melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as i was reading this one song popped into my head

    http://piggyxlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post! it is so true that certain albums, and even songs, mean so much to me and bring up so many memories. the postal service song brand new colony always reminds me of when my guy and i started dating. he emailed me the lyrics to this song in the beginning, and it still resonates with me to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes. I am a music therapist, so totally understand how powerful music is. "The rainbow connection" makes me teary-eyed only because it is so pretty. My Fiancée and I have a special song, "Second Chance" by Liam Finn, and when I think of songs my Mum loved me to sing to her, I get a bit nostalgic too <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a beautiful post. Penelope by Pinback is one of those songs that evokes a lot of memories in me. mostly good times at uni with old friends. thanks for sharing your happy song soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. everlong by the foo fighters. i would listen to it when driving from my university in pa to nyc to take care of my grandma on weekends as she battled non-hodgkins lymphoma.

    grandma passed ten years ago and that song will forever remind me of the very special times we spent together before she left us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a baby, my dad used to sing "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N Roses. I was born the year Appetite of Destruction came out, and that song was my lullabye. Everytime I hear it, I get a little teary eyed. I dedicated it to him over those request lunch things on the radio, and he heard it! He made the guys at work stop and turn it up so he could sing along and know I was thinking of him. I love my dad <3.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Left and Leaving is one of my all-time favorite albums. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a great post and it made my day. :] Thanks. It's amazing to see the songs that I listen to and how they affect other people differently. I'd have to say that "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap holds a dear place in my heart. I posted a few more on my blog too:
    www.rosiecoloredglass.blogspot.com

    You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, I got all teary-eyed reading this post!

    You're right, music is incredibly powerful - it's amazing that music is able to make you feel things as if you were really back in that moment...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very true. Certain songs bring me back whether I want them to or not.

    The whole Seawolf album reminds me of when I first got married. It was crazy/amazing being a bride but it really helped my nerves. The little things count in the biggest way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to follow your lead :)

    http://littlemissmoose.blogspot.com/2010/08/musical-memories.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. this was just beautiful.

    every time i hear anything by 'something corporate' im instantly back in 2005 with my friend where she went to college. we would listen to something corporate all day long when i'd go visit her at the college campus for the day. instantly i am in that room again and we are singing our hearts out because with music, life is just easier to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh I love this post so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sadly that song brings me back to a different and dark time of my life. Its so hard for me to listen to that song.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooohhh I love this!
    Etta James - A Sunday Kind of Love (our song and 1st dance)
    Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (I put our wedding video to this and now every time I hear it I think of our wedding).
    I grew up listening to Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and the Wallflowers so everytime I hear those bands I think of my dad.
    There are just so many memories....*sigh*

    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's awesome that you mentioned Elvis. My husband and I married at Graceland and walked down the aisle to his 'Today, Tomorrow and Forever'..very very romantic. We got together because of music in fact, but that's a long story!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, just found your blog! I love the Weakerthans. Left and Leaving especially reminds me of the first time my bf and I were together freshman year of college. Since we got back together a month ago, I'd pick "Home" by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros as "our song" (if we had one).

    ReplyDelete
  23. After being in relationship with him for 3 years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the other ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, lotto, his email is DRAISEDIONSPELLCASTER@OUTLOOK.COM you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other problem like wining lottery.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips