Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.32


This week I am featuring one of the sweetest, cutest ladies in the blogging world, Ms. Kyla Roma! If you don't already read her blog do yourself a favor and pop on over to say hello. She's always posting tons of goodness and her site always a fun, engaging read. Kyla also has some beautiful artwork on her body, and I'm so happy she was excited to share them with all of you!

Name and blog name: Kyla Roma - http://www.kylaroma.com

Age: 25

Occupation: Blog designer for Freckled Nest & part time receptionist

Age of first tattoo: 18

Favorite tattoo: My shoulder piece!

Featured tattoo/location: My cherry blossom shoulder piece & partial sleeve

Artist/shop/location of featured tattoo: Rich at Kapala Tattoo in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada!)




1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

I love Japanese art and mythology, and because I have a koi fish on my back I wanted something that would work with that visually. Cherry blossoms can represent both the beauty and brevity of life, but beyond that they're just beautiful and are everywhere in my favourite city, Vancouver. I've been going out there every year to visit my best friend for a long time, and it's a place where I can go to regroup and get away from the daily grind. It's a reminder to myself to focus on the beautiful things in life, and to not take things so seriously.

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I have a 8"
koi fish swimming on my back that was my first tattoo I got when I was 18. My favourite thing about her is the expression on her face - she's a very happy and feminine fish!


3) Do you plan on getting more?

Yes! I'm planning to make both my arms half sleeves, to pull the cherry blossoms down below my elbow on my left arm and to incorporate some colourful and detailled birds on both arms. I have lots of ideas for when I have more spending money.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

I anticipated that I would get negative reactions, but it really hasn't happened.
I've had a coworker make fun of my shoulder piece once, but I think that really comes from a place of not taking the time to understand, or not knowing what to say.

My family is used to the tattoo on my back, and they're still getting used to my shoulder piece. Everyone has been kind and curious, if a little taken aback, but they all know me really well and think it suits me. I'm still wearing cardigans around my grandparents, but they're really sweet people who try to understand what I'm going through, so I'm not going to keep it hidden forever.

Generally I've been a little surprised by the amount of staring that people do at tattoos, but I've already started tuning it out and I don't notice too much any more. Mostly it's been really positive because I've wanted this for so long, and to finally have it feels fantastic. When someone comments on how beautiful they think it is, it really makes my day.


5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Public Service Announcement: Being tattooed on top of your collarbone is a really special kind of awful. I love mine, but I'm not sure that I'll do the top of my shoulders when I do my right arm! Make sure you eat a good meal about an hour before you go to your appointment so you don't run out of energy. Long sessions are exhausting, and sugary drinks can really help you. And if your shop doesn't have a TV, bring a laptop and a bunch of DVDs.

Also, don't be a hero! If your artist has a long wait list, book two appointments to shade & colour a large piece up front. My artist had a four month waiting list, and when we did the colour it lasted for just shy of five hours. Had I thought ahead and scheduled two appointments I could have had the colour done with only a few weeks between appointments instead of having to do it all at once or wait four months.

41 comments:

  1. i love cherry blossoms! i think they always look good in tattooos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what an adorable lady (and dog!) and such beautiful tattoos! Thanks Danielle, I love your Tattoo Tuesday posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could say I love these, but I don't. And I'm sorry to say so anonymously, which seems a little mean, but I just don't feel comfortable saying so on my own. Kyla is beautiful & her blog is adorable and inspirational, but I find her tattoos to be uncharacteristically tacky and probably regrettable later.

    I guess someone will probably say they don't know why I needed to say this. And I didn't. But... there it is just the same. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll just go ahead now for you anonymous and say i don't know why you felt compelled to say something so unnecessary. jeez.

    anyway. kyla's adorable and ditto on her collarbone comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow anonymous, you obviously have some sort of issue with Kyla. Too bad for you that you feel the need to bring it here to Danielle's blog. And I probably shouldn't be wasting my words or time on your comment but...there it is just the same.

    Love love love the cherry blossoms. They are done so differently than I have ever seen. I truly love getting to see such lovely tattooed ladies on Tuesdays. Keep on keeping on girl.
    Love Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love love love tattoo! i'm getting a second in the next month! i'm so excited! i love the shoulder piece. it's gorgeous! i'm hoping to get something similar~!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Abby Gail. Sheesh, some people!

    Kyla, your tattoos are gorgeous and only add to how amazing you are. They're really inspiring me to get more work done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Kyla and think it's adorable that she's featured. She's just as sweet in real life too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this weeks feature. she is a doll, and i love her advice in the last question. good post <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. she is absolutely adorable and that shoulder tattoo is GORGEOUS!!! It's very close to what I've been searching for for myself!! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous I think diversity of opinion is important in every aspect of life, including such fickle elements as blog comments. However, personally I don't like the fact that instead of saying "I don't like these tattoos because..." you felt the need to add that you think she'll regret them. That's the part of your comment I find unnecessary. I don't mind people saying they dislike my own tattoo for whatever their reason. But people saying "you'll regret that" to me is a different matter, because it is taking your own tastes and personality, and assuming they apply to another person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the shoulder piece! Beautiful!

    Kyla, you are adorable... Don't listen to the negativity.

    And, Anonymous- I would encourage you to consider being a kind hearted blogger. There is enough negativity in the world already. Let's use blogging to build each other up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Anon - You're definitely entitled to your opinions, I adore my tattoos and I really feel like they're a part of me. I totally understand people not getting that, but I can tell you without a doubt that I don't regret them and I can't imagine an older version of me that they won't fit. All the people who know me best feel like they suit me - maybe they just don't suit the image you have of me through my blog.

    My only real comment? I posted a similar picture on my blog today, I wish you would have posted this there so we could have actually chatted about it - it sounds like you're a regular <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read about your tattoos before and of course seen the photos, but I like this Kyla-as-stranger Q&A format! And the coloring on your tattoos is incredible. I fear my own small ones are beginning to look like prison art; I'm quite envious of the great work on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i don't think it's tacky or whatever... her tattoos are awesome and the tattoo artist did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think Kyla is so so adorable! Tattoos are so personal {yes, even the regrettable ones} and hers are so well-done and definitely worthy of Danielle's "Tattoo Tuesday" feature! Im certain that Danielle doesnt feature these girls to open them up to scrutiny or mean comments, she is featuring them so that we can all appreciate what they bring to the tattoo community and to showcase their super-cool personal style. Thanks for another great feature Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore Kyla's shoulder piece! It's so feminine and beautiful! I love the placement.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to see her tattoos come together. I love the tattoos she chose for herself and very excited to see the others.

    {btw, two of my favorite bloggers collaborating? mind blown.}

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for sharing her! im in love with her blog now too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your tattoo tuesdays so great! you know I love staring at tattoos and I realise this could be read as rude but I do it becasue I love them! and love to see what different designs people have. I show mine off at every possible moment and cant wait to get my next one planned for october! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww anonymous, you've totally bummed me out. I feel like I'm hosting Kyla here in my little blog home and you came in and were so rude. I'm disappointed you had to leave such a shitty comment. I do believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you don't like her tattoos, then fine, whatever! But hiding behind an anonymous comment is just really silly. If you're going to say something, own up to it. You even admitted you didn't need to say it, and I wish you wouldn't have. But what's done is done- I just hope next time you actually post as yourself rather than hide. If your comment is too "mean" to say without hiding, maybe you should reconsider putting it out there. Just a thought. <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness, i am SO glad you featured kyla! :) she is such a gorgeous girl, and that cherry blossom tattoo is one of the prettiest ones i've seen - and it just fits her so perfectly! she's lovely, and i adore her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I adore the cherry blossoms! Beautiful tattoo for a beautiful girl. That haircut is rad!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm going to ditto Diana's comment. I love when my favorite bloggers get together.

    And, Kyla, I'm sure a lot of the people staring are staring because of the quiet, elegant beauty that radiates from you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I may be a little biased because I adore Kyla and her blog, but I think her cherry blossom tattoo is just gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing it turn into a half sleeve! Thanks for featuring her in your fabulous series.

    And all I've got to say about the negative Nancy around here is that Kyla is one classy lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm a friend of Kyla's and I must say the tattoo is gorgeous! I've so far only seen the outline (have yet to see the finished piece), and even the outline was breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i would stare because it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It blows my mind to see such mean comments on your blog. I love Tattoo Tuesdays. In fact it was what really drew me to your blog in the first place. You and Kyla are both totally adorable and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really do love these Tattoo tuesday posts. Such gorgeous women with such pretty art.

    Cherry Blossoms are one of my favourite flowers, and I think Kyla's tattoos are beautiful, as she is too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I absolutely LOVE the cherry blossoms. They were also done very well.
    @Anonymous - Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love both the tattoos!!! I also have a Koi on my back, and I love it. Its such a symbol of strength and overcoming adversity. I get all kinds of stuff from people like "oh do you really like fish or something?" but they are just ignorant and don't take the time to let me explain the meaning. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous, and I really want to get something like that done, just not on my collarbone, bet that really hurts!

    Also, anonymous is lame. As my mom would say "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think Kyla's tattoos are beautiful... and I think you, Miss Negative Anonymous, really should mind what you say... Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions, doesn't mean we have to share them. Especially if it is going to hurt someone. What a shame you felt the need to say such an unnecessary and negative thing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want her hair on my head! What a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  36. um her blog is amazing and shes so freaking cute. Im soo wanting her house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. kyla- lovelovelove the feature and tattoos. the cherry blossom one is perfect- ive been wanting one for a while and if it turns out even half as awesome as yours id be happy!! way to rock it.
    and i cant wait to read more of your blog!!!! :)
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips