This week I am so happy to share one of my darling best friends in the whole wide world with y'all...and her little slice of Austin, Texas (hence the y'all!). Amber Joy has always been a fixture here at Sometimes Sweet and if you're a regular reader I'm sure you recognize her from any of the million photos we take when we are together. Amber is actually from Prescott originally and kind of grew up with Hank, they went to the same high school and all of that jazz. I met her about six years ago through all of our mutual friends, and we've spent many summers and all of our school/holiday breaks together having some of the best adventures and the most fun, silly girly times you could imagine. Amber is now a newer resident to the Lone Star state, as she moved from Santa Barbara just a few months ago, but has already settled in and has happily made Texas her new home. Prior to that she lived in the great city of San Francisco for many years, and although she easily could have written page upon page of her favorite SF things to do and places to go, and I wanted her to share Austin with us! I definitely can't wait to go and visit her once little Henry is born so he can see where his Auntie Amber lives, and so we can visit all of these neat locations. It looks like a fun, lively place and seeing it through Amber's eyes has been wonderful, and I hope all of you enjoy it as well. Also, check out her blog http://amberjoyh.blogspot.com/, and be sure to leave her a little hello! And now, here's Amber!
As a recent transplant to the Austin area I am barely scraping the surface of all the great things this city has to offer, but I am already overwhelmed with all of the great entertainment, variety and never ending things to do so far! Although maybe pre-mature these are my top five favorite things to do in Austin, Texas!
1. Barton Springs: This is an amazing natural spring that they allow the public to enjoy. The water is always FREEZING, but feels so wonderful on those crazy hot summer days of Austin! It normally costs $3 for a day, but from 9pm-10pm it's free swim and what could be better than a night swim in a natural spring.. for FREE?
2. Liberty! This is a staple bar on the east side of the city that features a wonderful family seating atmosphere on the back patio. Another feature on the patio is a delicious food trailer that's open for as long as the bar is and it's definitely a must try. They also have a great happy hour with $1.50 16 oz PBR and there ain't nothin' wrong with that! But most importantly, Liberty is a wonderful spot to check out some pretty fly doodz!
3. Lone Star Beer...the NATIONAL beer of Texas because "to drink anything else would be treason".
4. Hey Cupcake! Just deliciously wonderful. I am pretty darn picky about my red velvet cupcakes and I must say...they take the cake! Hey C.C. also offers many other absolutely yummy options often including one vegan flavor of the day. Something for everyone!
5. Favorite Shopping...so far....I still have a lot of exploring to do in this area, but South Congress will be tough to beat. It is most accurately and easily described as the Haight st. of Austin. It features a great number of vintage, costume, eclectic stores and some great little food spots. If you end up visiting grab a cupcake and dive into some of the fun stores such as Uncommon Objects and Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds and prepare to lose a couple hours, but all in good fun!
So there you have it, Amber's lil' slice of Texas! xoxo