Thursday, September 16, 2010

A slice of...Orange County!

for my new blog feature

Good morning! Today I am so excited to feature one of my all-time favorite blogging ladies, Diana on this little weekly segment! Many of you also probably know her and love her (hello, how could you not?), but if you don't it's a MUST to hop over to her blog, http://www.ourcitylights.org/ and check out all of her wonderfully inspiring posts, witty entries, and beautiful photos. I was excited when Diana agreed to share a bit of her town, and I think you'll definitely enjoy what she's created for us here. Thank you Diana, you're the best!


Why I love my town

I was born and raised in Orange County, California. Growing up in suburban neighborhood doesn't seem very exciting, but on the outskirts of my neighborhood, there are tons of museums, beautiful parks, the best schools in the US, and the most beautiful beaches. When at times it seems a little too conservative for my taste (this was after all where Evangelism was born), I'm struck with the amazement of the culture I wish I would have noticed years earlier.


Top Five Places/Things/Etc.

In N Out

Living in OC, you take the things for granted that may seem are on every corner, such as the iconic In n Out restaurant. If you ever drive by one, there is always a line of tourists. The reason it’s so delicious is the 100% fresh food In n Out provides. The quality of food comes directly from farms in California. It won’t taste the same if the food is frozen and shipped off to NY. As you are ordering the food, you can see fresh potatoes being peeled to make the fries. There is also the not-so-secret-menu. From “animal style fries” (chili fries with cheese and special sauce), to their delicious shakes, people will wait hours in line for them. If I ever see an In N Out, it not only looks like home, it tastes like home.


Vans

If there was ever an item to represent Orange County besides the orange, it would be a pair of Vans. Vans not only began in OC, but the original skater shoe represents what Orange County is, laid back. From skateboarding to wakeboarding, to even having it’s own tour (the Warped Tour), Vans began it’s humble shop in Anaheim, CA.

If you grew up in OC, the shoe is universal. Regardless of what your parents did for a living, whether you were a skater or a nerd, or a boy with Authentics, a girl with pink Chukka’s or a mom running errands in her white Classic Slip-Ons, this was the status of coolness. 29 years later, growing up in the OC, it’s great to see the popularity and international recognition of the shoe is the ultimate representation of my hometown.


Beaches

You can’t watch an Orange County show (think The OC, or Laguna Beach) without a shot of the glistening beaches OC has to offer. It doesn’t matter what beach one chooses to relax in, they are equally beautiful. The best part of the beach? It’s free! You can pay a small fee for yacht rides and carnival rides, but walking the boardwalk, the sands, the cool waters, watching the surfers, but it’s the best mini-vacation. All that is needed is a beach towel, your favorite book or a loaded Kindle, some cute sunnies, SPF, and you are on your way to experience why OC is so casual and relaxed.


Orange Circle/Antique Mall

The Orange Circle is the place to visit if you want to see, shop, taste, experience all senses of OC. Chapman University’s film department allows tons of movies from Hollywood to be filmed the area, including “That Thing You Do”, all filmed in The Orange Circle. After decades, the community has dedicated to preserve the historical value. You can find anything and everything from historical documents preserved from WWII, to what face cream our great grandma’s used. As quickly as modernization is sorrounding the rest of OC, The Orange Circle is one area that will bring you back to the same place our grandparents grew up in.


Disneyland

Disneyland is legendary. People from on the other side of the world travel just to get a picture with Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney’s first character come to life. Disneyland is the dream Walt had all his life, a place to bring families together, have magic come to life, a real fantasy world come true. After having a Disneyland pass for almost a decade, it’s a great way to spend an evening, walking down Mainstreet, watching the fireworks, and eating a churro. The prices may have changed, and the regulars are no longer strangers in the park, but one thing is for certain- the park really does exude magic.

28 comments:

  1. Oh my! My hubs absolutely loves In N Out...as do I, but his love goes much deeper than mine. He spent his teens on the West Coast and loves loves loves In N Out. Now that we live in Ohio he misses it so much. (Sometimes its all he thinks about. Talk about in love.) And when we went to San Diego in the spring that was the first thing he thought about when we were making plans. haha.

    I absolutely love Vans. comfy comfy comfy!!!! Oh and my hubs owns 8 pairs. And I am planning on getting him a couple more soon. haha.

    I loved this feature today!!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love Orange County! And everything mentioned in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fisheye picture. Did you made this on your own? GReat shot!


    I'd be so glad, if you'd take 2 of your minutes to check out mine too ;)
    Mimi

    www.mode-karussell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had an In N Out burger though I've met plenty of people who have and they all seem to be equally as head over heels in love with that place. I will have to add to my life list of 'must do things'.

    I can, however, agree with her on the wonders of vans. I am all too familiar with their shoes and I am a huuuuuge fan as well. Dare I say they replaced my prior infatuation with Converse? Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see a little touch of home! I'm from southern california, as well. All of those things make me want to go back! SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally makes me crave a trip to Southern Cal!

    I'm eating it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Diana's blog! One of my favorites! OC looks like it would be an amazing place to live and the food oh my gosh, I am hungry now. Beaches, I would go there just for that. As much as I love a good beach. ;) I'll definitely have ti visit OC one day! :)

    ox::sk

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooo i live down the street from Disneyland i can see the fireworks every night at 9:30

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Diana & her blog. And I love Orange County its been far too long since I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sigh... i am from so cal and used to go to college in orange county. it is a wonderful, magical place to be.

    but i think i am the only person from so cal that really does not get the whole in-n-out phenomenon. i think their burgers (and entire menu) are pretty mediocre. everyone else i know loves it and when my Midwestern-bred family comes to visit it's the first place they wanna go! it is a rather iconic place for the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so want to go to Disneyland!!! Corey wants to go there for a belated honeymoon but we are not sure if we will be able to afford it because we go to the uk before the wedding so we might not be able to go on a honeymoon after.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so fun, I loved this post! It looks so carefree and sunny. I've been a hundred times, but this post gave Orange County a great face :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! oh my gosh, this post made me smile because this is where i live! :) people can say what they want about orange county, but i love it dearly. it's my home, i was born and raised here and i will always hold this place close to my heart. there are so many amazing people, places, and things here... lots of adventures to be had! and i've been so blessed to have always been 10 minutes or less away from the beach. mmm, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay for california girls! inland empire here, but close enough to the oc. the only thing i have yet to experience is the oc antique mall. but that day is soon coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so right! She is a total gem. And all this posting about how great California happens to be is making me itchy and ready to move there! This is such a great feature, Danielle!

    Love, the other Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything about this post amazing. I love Diana's blog & everything she has shared with your readers.

    & of course to top things off we see In N Out--- what I try to stay away from but cannot resist! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! My husband grew up in the O.C. and I lived there for several years. I loved the beaches, and there were endless things to do for free. It brings back many good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love diana!

    what a quintessential california girl. what i wouldn't give to be on the beach right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH, I love in and out burger! It is my favorite burger place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to represent! Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thanx for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh, I'll have to check out the antique mall next time we go down there! I am so ready to move out of CA, but when I do..I will totally cry about no In-n-Out, hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wooo hooo go OC. you live in a great place. I love vans. a staple shoe in my wardrobe. great to learn more about where you are from Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is all very dear to my heart! I was born and raised in Fullerton. My dad and mom met at Orange High. My mom still lives in the very first house my parents bought, so I get to visit Orange County often. Once we were at an antique store in the Orange Circle, and we found one of my mom's 1960s year books there! So funny. I also worked at Disney Land, and so did my older brother and sister. I don't live in Orange County anymore, but it's very dear to my heart. I don't think people realize that there are some really cool, historic places in Orange County. It's not all strip malls and plastic surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. to clarify, animal style fries are regular fries with melted american cheese, grilled onions and spread (their special sauce). not chili fries.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like this series, can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips