Saturday, October 9, 2010

35 week update!

It's been quite some time since I've made a proper pregnancy update post, so I thought 35 weeks would be as good of a time as ever. I have honestly been feeling GREAT, and surprisingly I've been enjoying this part of the pregnancy more than any other. I think it has to do with a couple of things: one, the light is definitely there at the end of the tunnel which is so exciting. And two, I haven't had those common pregnancy maladies like sleeping issues or back pain. At this point I am feeling pretty lucky to be doing as well as I am. My doctor attributes it to my continuous exercise regime and eating well, so it really makes me feel happy to hear that my diligence to staying healthy has paid off. Now I just can't wait to actually meet the little guy, hold him, hug him and kiss him.

Here are some photos from this evening:

35 week photo
35 weeks

cute detailing on my dress/shirt (this is not a maternity top, so it's more a dress when I'm not pregnant!)
cute detail on my dress/shirt

<3

35 weeks

Hank and I had a wonderful, wonderful date night and then purchased the last of the items we needed for Henry, including the most adorable framed print for one of his walls. I can't wait to share photos once we're all set up. This next week my parents are coming up for a visit and staying for a few days, which we are super excited about. We're going to be painting the nursery and getting everything done as far as setting up and decorating. Although we feel like we're set with baby gear, we're really trying to stick to only the necessities as of right now and then get the extra things as we go, if needed. I just keep reminding myself that when my Mom had me she didn't need any of the fancy things they have nowadays and we were just fine. And that's not to say that Hank and I are choosing to go some sort of minimalistic route, but it's easy to get caught up in the material stuff and we're trying hard not to do that!

I thought I would also do a little questionnaire:

How far along? 35 weeks

Total weight gain/loss? So far I've gained a little less than 30 pounds, although I have no idea where it is because I don't feel like I'm THAT much bigger outside of my stomach.

Maternity clothes? None outside of my Forever 21 maternity jeans (love them) and a couple of maternity tee shirts with ruched sides I bought for the gym/workouts.

Stretch marks? absolutely none (yet!).

Sleep? I sleep very well (usually 8+ hours a night) but wake up to go to the bathroom numerous times. I have no problem falling back asleep though so I am counting my blessings on that one.

Best moment last week? my baby shower!

Movement? He moves all of the time. The doc assured me he is head down so I'm assuming that's his foot I'm feeling up there in my ribs. He's usually kicking to the right side too.

Food cravings? fresh fruit always. And that's about it!

Gender? boy!

Labor signs? none yet

Belly button in/out? totally in. I don't think it will ever pop out because it's not even flattened out yet.

What I miss: wearing all of my dresses, RUNNING! lifting heavy weights at the gym, and eating lunch meat.

What I am looking forward to: meeting our son and the whole birthing process, I'm incredibly curious. Oh, and eating a huge sandwich. And sushi. And running.

Also, here's the fruit/veggie comparison for this week- I'm at the end of this 8th month and moving into the 9th so I'm between this and a WATERMELON. Yes, a watermelon. Holy shit.

Baby’s senses are continuing to improve -- when light peeks in through your (extremely) stretched belly, those tiny eyelids and irises blink and dilate. And, baby can now recognize and react to simple songs… time to start practicing your lullabies! Growth (at least inside your womb) is starting to slow, and you may notice baby descend into your pelvis at the end of this month.

A lot of people have also been asking about our "birth plan." I thought I would share a couple of the hopes and goals we have for our experience. I am definitely going for a natural birth, with no epidural or medication. It's a big goal of mine (I don't take ANY medication or even medicine when I have a headache), so medicating isn't really something I like to do. Also, needles scare me (yes, says the girl with multiple tattoos), and the thought of needles anywhere near my spine make me want to vomit. Epidurals scare me more than birth actually. However, I am being open minded and let's say I get in there and my mind totally changes, I am open to that. I'm pretty much open to the whole experience. I know what my goal is, but if at any time things change I am going to try and be okay with that. Who knows, I could end up having a c-section (which is not what I would want), but if that's the way it has to go, that's the way it goes. My main concern is birthing a healthy baby and I don't care how it has to happen as long as the way it happens is the best, healthiest option for Henry and me. So we'll see. I'll be giving birth in our new birthing center which is pretty much amazing and much more resort than hospital. Our birthing class took us on a tour of the new facilities (opened last spring) and they are really great. I know it sounds crazy but I am EXCITED to give birth. I want to see what it's like and have the whole experience. I'm aware that it's going to be quite the painful time but I'm kind of pumped for it and looking forward to the whole thing. Did anyone else feel like this beforehand? I feel a little crazy for thinking this way but I'm sure someone else out there has felt the same!

So, 35 weeks! I can't believe I'm winding down this entire journey and it's crazy to say that next month H. will be here. I have about 17 more working days too, which is another shocking number that crept up on me. Stay at home mama life, here I come! If I've learned anything from this pregnancy it is this: time flies. It feels like only yesterday this was us:

The day found out I was pregnant!

And now, here we are, heading into the final month of pregnancy.
Amazing.

44 comments:

  1. awesome journey! I'm a new reader to your blog, and have just caught up with all your pregnancy posts. So far so good huh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post! its so exciting to hear these updates. you are one lucky gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Danielle. You are almost there...or baby H is almost here! Will you be posting about the whole birthing experience after the fact?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's totally cliche, but you are glowing! And I totally hear you about the epidural, I am way scared of needles, the tattoo needles just isn't the same. I'm feeling a hint of jealousy that you're all ready to go and so excited, and I have *at least* 9 months to go. Probably more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So precious! I'll read more in depth when I have more time, but your dress is so so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. its so exciting and kind of mad to see the process of Henrys before life, if you know what i mean! i love that you have kept us all up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  7. its so exciting and kind of mad to see the process of Henrys before life, if you know what i mean! i love that you have kept us all up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, not much longer to go now! So great to hear that you're feeling awesome so late in the pregnancy, I'm sure that your working out/eating routine has everything to do with it...at 35 weeks I was stuck at home on bedrest and I did not enjoy it at all!

    I hear you about being excited to give birth too, I was the same way, more anxious than scared, I just wanted to get it done and see what it was like! The night my water broke I was like "oh yay!" as opposed to "oh no!" (that was my husband's reaction, haha) But it does hurt, no doubt about it! You're lucky to be going to a birthing centre as opposed to a hospital, that will really help with your attitude and your birth plan. Good luck in these last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look absolutely precious! :)

    i totally understand you feeling excited about the birthing experience!
    i would feel the exact same way.
    unfortunately, i've been told by a Dr. before that i'll only be able to deliver by c-section when the time comes. : (
    but i definitely think i would be just like you. :)
    all sorts of curious!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww that's so exciting! You look amazing and you're so luck you aren't having any of the late pregnancy issues. I could barely even get out of bed the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy lol.

    I was so mad I didn't find out about the F21 Maternity line until AFTER I gave birth lol. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! :)

    Little Sugar Monster

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely understand what you mean about the epidurals. They scare the crap out of me. I had two boys naturally, and if I can do it, you will have no problem. It's such an awesome thing. Congrats. You are going to fall in love right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a relatively new reader, and love your honest reviews of your pregnancy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great attitude about the birth plan! You never know what is going to happen so it is best to go with the flow for the most part. Some women get so specific about every detail that I feel like they set themselves up for disappointment if things don't go exactly to plan!

    You may be interested in having a look at my blog post from this past Wednesday from my friend Ricci who is 38 weeks pregnant in Senegal West Africa! Really interesting stuff. Especially about the french trained docs who tell you not to gain any weight!

    Liz
    (I am Also 35 weeks pregnant due Nov 16 and Mom to Hadley who is 2 1/2)

    www.sunshinesundays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such a positive attitude and I can't believe Henry's nearly here! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet post. Can tell how excited both of you are and I love it. You look incredibly beautiful and happy.
    Almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - props on being excited for natural birth! I definitely aspire to a natural birth when that time comes, but, I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare the hell out of me!

    XO
    Carly

    All this is Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. this post made me SO excited! i'm sitting here in the bed with chad while he (and our house guests downstairs) are asleep, trying my hardest not to let that excited giddy feeling come out in an "eeeeeeep!"...i can only hope our experience is as wonderful as yours has been. love love.
    xo.
    p.s. why can't you eat sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! SO excited for you! You look great - and I agree with you about not being super minimalistic but there is A LOT of stuff for babies now-a-days which they will be totally fine without.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First off, you look amazing! You seem to be going into this whole adventure with an open mind and I think that is wonderful. When I was pregnant, we wrote up a birth plan and discussed it with our Dr. She stressed the need to remain flexible. Everything went perfectly (natural quick birth) and we have a healthy beautiful little girl who just turned four.
    Yes, giving birth was painful but the end result was so worth it.
    It still blows my mind that I made this little person with my body.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not sure how I found your blog, but it's really cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for all 3 of you!! :) I didn't get any stretch marks during pregnancy, but then I was SHOCKED (and mad) that I got lots AFTER birth when everything shrunk up again. Why didn't I think of that?! I'm sure you've heard it 2034820348 times, but watch out for that! :)

    XOX,
    Little Miss Paige

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're so close! this makes me excited for when we have a baby. i hope i have the same attitude as you towards the end and not fear like so many have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore your excitement regarding Henry's birth. I just can't believe it's nearly here. WOW!! I will say, unsolicited, of course, but going in with this much excitement, and with a true openness will serve you so well. Being openminded will truly be to your advantage. My wish for you is that you get the exact right nurse for you and Hank, one that honors your intentions and desires for Henry's birth. I hope Dr. Fernandez is on-call when you are birthing; he's so great in the delivery room, and I just feel so confident it will go exactly as it needs to for YOUR and Hank's and sweet baby Henry's experience. WOW!! So thrilled for you, friend!!
    <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing. You look amazing.

    I loe what you are wearing in the picture as well. :) I can only hope to be as fashionable and cute the next time around!

    Love reading your journey towards becoming parents!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved reading this, I'm 32 weeks and always so curious about other women's experiences of pregnancy. This is our fourth child, though, so it's a bit different, but still no stretch marks so yay for that blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It feels like only yesterday for us {me} too! Which also means we've been bloggy friends for 9+ months too :) I love being able to see you and Hank along this amazing journey and can't wait to *meet* little Henry via the photos I'm sure you'll be sharing after the fact. And hopefully down the road I'll be able to meet & hug all of your little fam! You're gorgeous. XO

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look really great. I've been documenting my pregnancy on my blog too. This is my third baby due in 2 weeks, and I am also really really excited for the birth! Unlike you, I couldn't say that about my first, I was really scared! But I was prepared, and was able to birth both my first and second naturally, which was awesome. Totally the way to go!!! I believe our bodies know how to do it best, using drugs during labor can screw up the process. So I've got my fingers crossed for one more great experience in just a few more days!

    http://littleoceanandme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey i am new to your blog. Love the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Its great you're going for an all natural birth. I know you said you have an open mind, but don't let it be too open. There was one point (in our home birth-2 weeks ago) I was like oh.. I wish I had something for this pain. But, I didn't. So, I had to deal with it AND I'M SO HAPPY I DIDN'T HAVE THE OPTION for any pain meds. otherwise, I might have taken them and I would totally regret it. I hope that makes sense, and the fact that you're choosing a birthing center instead of a hospital will play a major role in NOT likely needing a c-section. BEST OF LUCK!! looking back the whole experience was easier than I expected :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so great! You look adorable, too! Can't wait for little H. to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look beautiful!!!!!

    Oh I am 29 weeks as of Monday and having a boy, my son (Judah) likes to kick under my ribs (right side to) and I was just asking a friend of mine today am I a freak bc my belly button hasn't popped out yet! Maybe its a boy thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. hahaha you two are too sweet. That picture of the two of you with the pregnancy test is priceless. Thanks for sharing your journey with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. you look SO pretty, danielle! i cannot believe it's almost time. you're going to do great! and yikes, the thought of an epidural makes me horribly queasy... yuck. i would throw up (or pass out) if they got that needle anywhere near me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was totally excited to give birth, too!! Both times!! It is an amazing experience, no matter what happens. Enjoy every moment of it and have Hank take notes because there will be tons of stuff you'll forget that you might want to remember and write down later. :)

    almcrock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Man, I can't even imagine all the excitement you must be going through! My mom had all four of her kids without painkillers and she said that it didn't matter to her because it was just something she had to do. And that after having her first, her others came quite easily :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are getting so close! I just had my baby 2 weeks ago, total natura, birthing center, in a bath and it was amazing! Ya there is discomfort but its so temporary and you will forget as soon as its over! It was absolutely the most incredible experience ever! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yay for 35 weeks! May I ask a silly question, why no sandwich meat or sushi?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh I am so happy you posted a picture of you and your belly. You are soooo stinkin' cute. Just five short weeks, give or take a little.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You look amazing and glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You're adorable! It's great to see you can be pregnant and still dress cute!

    ReplyDelete
  41. you look darling. baby h is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  42. ohhhh gratulations :)

    good luck :) sweet dress btw

    ReplyDelete
  43. you are so cute and I love your tattoos. congrats on being a mama soon.

    X
    brittanyhavican.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. you look so beautiful and you are glowing so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips