Friday, October 1, 2010

October is finally here!

my night: candy corn, Mad Men, and a comfy bed...perfect!

Thank you all SO much for all the kind words about our big move! It's hard for me on blogger, I wish so badly I could hit reply on each comment and talk to each person separately, kind of like on livejournal. Wouldn't that be great? Because I can't do that, I always worry that you all don't know that I read and cherish every single comment that I receive. So you know: I do! I love receiving your input, and I appreciate all of your sweetness and support so very much. I've been incredibly busy lately, so I haven't had the most time to blog the past few days, but now that we are settled I am back to my normal routine and I couldn't be happier! Blogging is such an outlet for me, and without it I do feel a little lost, as weird as that may sound. And speaking of blogging, be sure to check out my "Blog Love" page located on my upper right hand sidebar, or click here! I frequently get asked about my favorite blogs, so if you'd like to see the ones I read on a daily basis, check out that link!

So if you're a regular follower, you'd know that my life has been quite busy, and so full of change. I really need to make a belly photo post soon to show you all just how BIG I've gotten, so hopefully this weekend I will be able to do just that. And speaking of this weekend, my baby shower is on Saturday! I can't wait. So many of my girlfriends are coming in from all sorts of different places and I'm so excited to see all of them. It's bizarre because it really does feel like my bridal shower was just yesterday, when in reality it was almost three years ago! And now, I'm planning my sister's bridal shower. How did that happen? Every once and a while I am shocked into the realization that time has in fact gone by, and that it's gone by so quickly. As always it's a reminder to just stop and take it all in. As Henry's arrival gets closer and closer, I am thinking about this all of the time. I know it's going to be an interesting transition- going from working as a teacher to becoming a full time mama and homemaker...and it's going to be hard! However, I feel like those late nights and sleepless times, rough patches and whatever else comes- that's LIFE! And all of those times will only be here for a short time, so my goal is to really be in the moment and live each of these things as they happen, without hoping and wishing for the next "thing" to come along so quickly. We only get one go-round at having our first child, so I want it all, the good, the bad, the hard and the easy. I'm ready for it, and really excited too.

I posted a few quick photos of the moving process the other day and briefly mentioned that my Dad and Hank had put together some of Henry's baby furniture. So far the crib and his changing table is done and in his room. We still have a long way to go, including painting, but I find myself wandering in there now and again, just thinking about him and what this whole adventure is going to be like. It's truly surreal. I thought it was crazy when I was 12, 16, 24 weeks. But now that we are about a month and a half away it's just mind blowing that we have such little time before he is born.

Outside of baby talk, everything else is moving along well. Work this year has been wonderful. These are the best group of kids I've ever had, and not a day goes by that I don't count myself as lucky for having such wonderful students during this eventful time. They're so supportive and cute, and make my day everyday. Besides being beyond exhausted almost every moment, I've been enjoying my time in the classroom. My last day is coming up quickly and I have about twenty-something more days to go!

I'm also currently really, really excited about Fall. To get into the spirit, Hank and I are going to be starting a Halloween movie marathon pretty soon here via Netflix. Some of our top picks:

  • Hocus Pocus (best movie EVER)
  • The Birds
  • Psycho
  • The Addams Family
  • Misery
  • The Lost Boys
  • The Shining
  • Edward Scissorhands

There's seriously nothing I love more than snuggling up on the couch with a bowl of buttery, salty popcorn and enjoying a semi-scary movie. Note that I said SEMI because I'm a huge baby and can't handle the gory modern movies they have out these days. I'm more of a fan of the older stuff, especially Alfred Hitchcock and classic horror films, and then of course the more child-like ones too. Do you have any favorite Halloween time/creepy movies? I'd love to hear some suggestions to add to our list, so comment away if you have any!

So, today is Friday and the first day of my favorite month, October! It's a half day for me, and I can't wait to decorate a bit for Halloween when I get home from work. I'm also looking forward to getting the house a little more put together in preparation for friends coming into town. We have a LONG way to go as far as decorating, but it's coming along slowly but surely.

I hope all of you have a wonderful Friday!

I'll leave you with a creepy Zombie photo of me from last season! Nerd alert. ;)

if I was a ZOMBIE

oh and ps, if you guys wouldn't mind clicking on this little banner that would be awesome! I kind of forgot about this wonderful site. Oops! :)

Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!


  1. I LOVE Hitchcock too! Definitely on of my top three directors of all time. I love the suspense, the old Hollywood glamour, and the overall tone of his movies - amazing! I think that Vertigo is my fave.

    Also, I am a first time commenter, but a long time reader. I love your blog and want to wish you luck with your new journey!

    From one tattooed English teacher to another,


  2. i love that picture!! :-)

    i am happy for you and the move! :-)

    Hope all continues to go well!

    God Bless

  3. You are an EPIC zombie! And October is a wonderful month! I hope you really enjoy it! :) <3

  4. Edward Scissorhands is one of my all time favorite movies. The old Twilight Zones are also pretty amazing.
    The end of my pregnancy was one of the most wonderful times in my life because my husband and I were so extremely excited to start our new journey together. Soak it all up. It is such a beautiful time.
    Congratulations on your new home. I can't wait to see photos of your decorating.


  5. That's why I wish blogger/blogspot had the option to reply to each comment, like typepad and wordpress do! I think being able to communicate with everyone full circle is an even better experience in the blogging world. Sometimes I consider getting typepad. I do not like wordpress (I have an account but hardly use it).

    Wonderful news! Lots of change and all of a sudden! Must be exciting and overwhelming!

    I love that "zombie" photo of you, creepy cute!

  6. Hi there, I just wanted to say congrats on the move! :)
    I love Edward Scissor hands too, and I like to watch zombie movies, also Corpse Bride is a good one! (more sweet than scary but Burton is always abit halloween though, so im including it!) :)
    xx Beth

  7. your movie list is almost the same as mine x

  8. this is one of my favorite things to do in October as well!
    here are some suggestions for you..

    invasion of the body snatchers(1978 version)
    rosemarys baby
    the craft
    the ghost and mr chicken
    army of darkness
    the shining
    sleepy hollow
    nightmare on elm st
    the fly
    american werewolf in london

  9. Have you ever seen The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. Don Knotts is in it and it's so cute and funny! But yes, I could quote just about every line of Hocus Pocus.

  10. If you haven't already seen it, definitely check out Vertigo by Hitchcock. It's not scary, more suspenseful...I can't handle the gore either. Have a lovely day.


  11. I'm in love with fall and halloween. and how good is candy corn? going shopping today and going to buy that stuff in bulk

    enjoy the chill in the air...

  12. Those are some of my favourite movies! Check out Sleepy Hollow (johnny Depp is beyond cute in this movie) and if you want some semi-scary with some laughs I recommend Army Of Darkness. Have fun!
    And congrats on the new place!

  13. hooray for halloween movie marathons! for sure...
    my boyfriend's back
    the monster squad
    young frankenstein
    so i married an axe murderer (i dont know if thats necessarily halloweeny...but still so good!)
    house on haunted hill
    sleepy hollow
    the addams family
    little monsters
    the crow
    and the old halloween movies are scary but still SO good!
    i could go on and on and on...we LoVe this time of year!

  14. hello! just found your blog! love the pic!! candy corn is my fav!

    xoxo, jaz

  15. OH MY GOSH! I love that you love Hocus Pocus! I own it and watch it every time I want to get into the fall/winter mood.

  16. i love edward scissorhands! and i love hitchcock films... i was a film major in college, and i would always get excited whenever we would watch his movies and have discussions afterward (i think 'strangers on a train' is my favourite hitchcock film). i'm the biggest wimp when it comes to scary movies, sometimes i can't even watch trailers/previews of scary movies without freaking out! lame. ;)

    i hope you have an amazing baby shower, dear! xo.

  17. October is my favorite, I adore Halloween! Congratsio on the new house :), and if only I were closer I'd totally been trying to scam in on that movie watchin' Ha ha! Just kidding...too much homework to do:(! Take Care lil Momma, Oh..and happy october, Janna Lynn :)

  18. Hocus Pocus is such a great movie! That was one of the few movies that I could watch over and over again as a kid. I'm showing it at the library I work at for the kids and I can't wait to watch it again.

  19. I'm so glad to hear everything is going great with the move & baby H & that its your favorite month! I just wish it would FEEL like October here. It's 91 degrees today. Eff. Lol.

    Oh, and helloooo hottest zombie ever ;)

  20. i love the weather of october, mass has been so off so far so i want it to be normal out!
    i love halloween candy

  21. Have fun at your baby shower! I loved mine and got so much neat stuff. Can't wait to hear about how yours goes. :)

    Little Sugar Monster

  22. hi friend. happy october! send me your new address when you can, i have a little something for your sweet one. have a blast tomorrow!

  23. Hocus Pocus is totally one of the best movies ever!

  24. I still have the zombie you made out of my pic last year : )

  25. My cousin just had her baby, your boys are about a month apart. It's carzy how time flie! I definitely love October, not only because it's my birthday month, but because I love fall as well! And everything that comes with it.

  26. Oh my - thanks for reminding me about Hocus Pocus. I need to add that to my queue to watch this month!

  27. Yes!! Hocus Pocus is definitely great!! :)


Blogging tips