Sunday, October 10, 2010

a Sunday treat- vegan and delicious!

See? Delicious pie, happy me!
raw, vegan pie from the raw food festival last fall!

Lately I've really been enjoying the change in season. All summer I anticipated the first chilly night, green leaves turning gold, and the first day I could wear tights, a scarf, and have an excuse to bundle up a bit more. When I think of cold weather I think of comfort food, and when I think of comfort food I think of pie, which is one of my most favorite indulgences in the entire world. I love pie so much, especially in the fall and winter. An indulgence now and again is great, but often when the weather gets cold I find myself craving it a lot more often and daily pie probably isn't the best idea. The following recipe is one of my FAVORITE things to eat and a favorite treat my Mom makes for me when I come home for a visit. I think of it as a pie substitute- it tastes similar to the inside of a juicy apple pie but without any of the added sugars. It's super healthy and incredibly delicious. I could eat it by the bowlful, which I usually do! If you're looking to be even more health conscious you can omit the raisins, or if you want a little something different you could also add walnuts. Really, you could go crazy and add anything you could dream up. I think that some shredded coconut would be delicious too. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 6-8 apples peeled, sliced, and diced
Directions:

1) Put quarter cup of water into a pan

2) Add in fruit and put lid on pan

3) Turn the heat on until water is simmering, then turn heat to low

4) Cook for about 5 minutes on low (lid still on but taking off to stir occasionally)

5) After 5 minutes add about a teaspoon of cinnamon, stir, and continue to cook on low for another 5 minutes or until apples are done to your liking. 10 minutes is ideal for me.

...and wa-la! You have a quick, super easy, and tasty dessert (or great topping for oatmeal, or even vanilla ice cream, etc.!) I eat it hot, but I've had it cold before too. Enjoy, and let me know if you decide to try it. Here's a photo of the batch I ate today:


DELICIOUS!

23 comments:

  1. that sounds scrummy.... make make some in a while :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so delicious and omg that pie looks really good!

    Little Sugar Monster

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make something like this for my son, when I was making his baby food. Just keep in mind, when you're weaning little Henry, that you can just purree this, and it is a healthy dessert or snack! (Not to mention freezing with popsicle sticks, and you have a yummy, healthy ice pop!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...that sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Danielle for that link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that sounds so yummy! And it's so simple! I think I'm going to make up a batch and keep it for the week for my morning oatmeal! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that pie looks awesome! i cant wait to have yummy fall desserts

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh thanks for this! I love Vegan cookery :) not long until baby now! :) xo

    www.tigerlillyquinn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so simple and yet sounds absolutely delicious... Love healthy fall treats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yumm! i made this, if for nothing else so my kitchen would smell like cinnamon. it's delish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you shared the yummy treat your mom makes! I'm going to try it now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW that pie looks so delicious and it's even vegan! I'm craving sweets now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went and bought the ingredients. I will make this later tonight or in the a.m.
    Thank you for the recipe!
    Teresa-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE making this and do it frequently! I don't like whole apples very much, but I think they are delicious warm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom makes this for me when I visit, too!! So delicious, isn't it?! Sometimes she adds a little maple syrup, too. Yum, now I want some for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, that pie looks SO NICE and thick. Oh gosh..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this today, but with a few additions. I zested some lemon peel, added a bit of the juice, a dash of pure vanilla extract, and a splash of Amaretto. This batch is for my morning oatmeal, but I think I'll use the next for some apple tarts. :) Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good! I want to try it. I love vegan food; it's so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm. I love vegan treats. And everything taste better in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you posted the link to this today!! I've been trying to hunt it down in your archives for the longest time!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips