Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Henry: Week 1

Well, one week has passed since I gave birth to our beautiful son. It's so surreal to me to look at him, and hold him, kiss him, and just lay with him sleeping on my chest. This is our son! Wow! It's so, so neat. I also feel incredibly lucky that my c-section recovery has been relatively easy. I've been up walking and feeling pretty okay from day one, and now, a week later I'm probably at a 90%. I've still been taking it completely easy- not lifting anything heavier than Henry, and not going crazy getting things done, but I have no problem moving around, sleeping, anything. My incision is healing well. I know this is not the case with most c-section patients so I am feeling very fortunate my body is reacting well and bouncing back quickly. My post-op check up is next week so I'm looking forward to that.

Emotionally at first I was pretty up and down for the first couple of days. Not sad per say but just super emotional about everything. Henry would yawn or do something adorable and I would start to cry about how beautiful he was, or I'd start thinking about how scary it was to be a parent, all of the things that could go wrong. Lots of tears in those first days. But now I'm feeling back to my normal self and although I still have all of those fears, I'm not crying at the drop of a hat! Oh, hormones! I will say that it is pretty scary to be a parent. I feel like Hank and I are constantly checking to be sure Henry is breathing, and even if I get 3 hours of sleep, I spend a bit of that time checking to be sure everything is okay.

As far as Henry...gosh. What a darling, darling boy. He is the sweetest baby I've ever met. Granted, I'm sure I'm biased because he's my son, but I can just feel the kind, wonderful energy he puts out. I can't wait to see what he's like once he can start communicating more with us. He sleeps for about 3 hours at a time, he wakes up and I change him, he eats (I'm breastfeeding), then at night he'll go right back to sleep (last night he slept for 4 hours in a row!) and during the day we'll hang out a bit before he falls back asleep. I've had NO issues breastfeeding. He took to it from the first moment in the hospital and will usually eat for at least 20 minutes at a time. I've experienced no pain and no discomfort from it and I am so, so thankful for this. The boy loves to eat! At night he is sleeping in his pack n' play next to our bed, in his sleep sack, and like I said he will sleep for about 3 hours straight before he wakes up. If he needs to be changed he will wake up sooner but for the most part he sticks to about a three hour sleeping time. It'll be interesting to see how this changes as time goes on. We swaddled him at first, but after a few nights we found that he actually enjoys his sleep sack more. While he's sleeping he makes these cooing noises, and sometimes it even sounds like a little high-pitched yip. Seriously heart-melting.

I always imagined what it would feel like to meet my son and look into his eyes, but nothing could have prepared me for the overwhelming emotions I'd feel. I've never been happier. Hank and I are just beside ourselves with this deep, deep love for him, and for each other. We've been having the best time getting to know Henry. He's a very calm baby. Hank and I have had numerous moments where we'll catch ourselves doing something kind of funny that we wouldn't have ever imagined before. Case in point: high-fiving after successfully sucking a stubborn booger out of Henry's nose with the nasal aspirator. Yup. "Did we really just high-five to that?!" We've been laughing a lot and having a blast. We'll be getting our first professional photos of him done next week and I really can't wait for beautiful pictures of his tiny hands, and feet, and that little face.

My Mom has been here for the past week and it's been so nice to spend everyday with her, and learn all of her baby tricks and gain some knowledge and wisdom from her. Her and Hank are as close as can be, and we kind of want to keep her hostage so she can never leave! I'm so thankful for her.

Some other things I'm loving this week:
  • nightly story time. Hank reads Henry a book every night before we go to sleep. I know he's only a week old but we've done this every night and I know he's taking it all in! :)
  • breastfeeding. I love it. It's just the most amazing thing to know that my body makes everything that our baby needs. It's just so bonding and the way he snuggles up to me after he is done seriously kills me every time.
  • sleep smiles. All of Henry's little facial expressions are adorable, but he makes this little smile in his sleep that is just super cute.
  • watching Hank be a Dad. He's an amazing father and the love he has for our son is really, really beautiful.
  • Henry's little koala hold. He loves to lay right on my chest, head in my nook and legs tucked up really tight.
Oh, and yesterday I also submitted my official resignation letter to the school district and now I am truly and officially a stay-at-home Mom. I am beyond excited for this chapter in life, and I'm looking forward to being able to be home with Henry every single day. A week in and I absolutely cannot fathom leaving him. I feel very fortunate to be able to do this. After sending the letter I got a little sad though because I do miss my kids a lot. It's hard not to see the people that brought so much joy to my life everyday. I've mentioned it before but this year has been the best teaching year of my life, with the sweetest kids in the world. I definitely miss it. But, life changes and goes on, and this is where I'm at now, happily.

Before I go, I wanted to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you who left such lovely comments and congratulations about Henry! My little family appreciates it so much.



waaah!

my Mom picked out this onesie of course!
my Mom put him in this onesie!

sprawling on Daddy's lap
he loves to sprawl out

Daddy/Henry nightly story time
Daddy's nightly storytime

reading to baby

58 comments:

  1. he is so precious! i'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is ADORABLE. Congratulations, so happy for you!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is gorgeous! Such a cute overload. :)

    Glad to hear you are recovering well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg he is so sweet! Glad to hear you're recovery is going good and things are going good. I was pretty emotional the first 2 months though, it finally started calming down (thank god, I thought I was losing my mind lol).
    Alyson started sleeping 5 or 6 hour stretches around 2 to 2 1/2 months or so. The first two weeks were horrible sleep wise though, she was up every 2 hours to eat lol.

    I love that first picture! Its really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. he is a beautiful baby!! congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! I am so happy that everything is going so well for you! He is such a beautiful baby. =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are such a cute family! I can tell you're great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you! Being a Mom is something so wonderful it can't even be explained-although you do a great job!! I adopted my daughter at 11 months (from China) and wish I could relive that day a million times over...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a wonderful post. I love how your prose puts us future mommies right in your shoes-it's like we get to drink in this new, awesome experience with you! I hope to see more Henry posts soon. =)

    XO
    Carly

    All this is Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's just something about dad/child photos that are so heartfelt. Henry is too cute and so tiny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! He is beautiful! SO happy for you also that breastfeeding is working out so lovely. I loved breastfeeding as well and was bummed when my supply tanked when I returned to work so you are one lucky mama to be able to stay home with your precious little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats.
    and he really is a beautiful baby. so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is absolutely beautiful. What a little lovebug. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww what a sweet entry!

    my co-worker told me when his wife had their first baby that right before they left the hospital they showed them the "back to sleep" video...thus scaring the crap out of them and forcing them to check if the baby was breathing every 5 seconds or if the baby would move they would both jump out of bed to make sure she was ok!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you guys are already reading to him. If I had a kid of my own I'd really try and keep books/stories alive in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love daddy with their babies pictures.
    they melt my heart.
    i am so happy for you.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  17. how exciting! and its so awesome youre recovering well

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those pictures of Hank and Henry melted my heart! Every man should be like that with their baby! EVERY man! I'm glad to hear you're not having a hard time recovering, it's pretty rough having a baby. That sweet little boy is just precious, congratulations mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!! Love all of the pictures, thanks for sharing. Babies always bring joy and make people smile :)

    I'm now following you. Come visit when you have a minute to say hello!

    Kate
    Peace & love
    http://loveiseverywhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww I can almost feel your love through your post, you write it so well. He is such a gorgeous boy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm so glad everything has been going so well for the two of you. henry is a very cute boy. your family is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww.
    Seriously. Too cute.
    Congrats, dear!!
    Oh yes. Book-reading is precious. Your hubby sounds like he's taking right to being a daddy really well:)
    And holy crap--I can imagine; it's enough sweetness when a little one snuggles into my neck, I can't imagine how much more lovely it is to be his mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your little family is adorable, and it makes my heart feel nice and warm reading about your adventures. It is so nice to see an example of a young family working together to make a great life filled with love and not drama, and knows the priorities in life. One week in and your the sweetest ma and pa for the lil guy! Keep the stories coming, it is so refreshing. Hearts, Janna Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. He really is a sweetheart, Danielle! I was the same was as far as emotions when Emerson was born. I got so weepy just thinking about how he was actually there and all the sweet things he' do! Knowing he'd grow up drove me crazy! haha I'm really interested to see if I'll be the same with Eisley, now that I've been through it once... I imagine I still will!

    ReplyDelete
  25. He is absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest babies I've seen, I swear.

    Glad to hear your recovery and breastfeeding are going well! And it'll only get better from here! You're on a roll, sista!

    I cracked up at your comment about checking to make sure he's breathing. Here was my strategy with Henry:

    1) Freeze. Listen with all my might. Is he making a sound?
    2) Stare. I can't tell if he's moving. Is he moving, Jake???
    3) Touch. Okay, I'll just put my hand on him for a second, just to be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you're sharing updates of you, Hank and Henry :) I just love checking in on your new little family! Everything looks like it's going well and I am so thankful for that, for you!

    Henry is beautiful :) I love seeing your photos!

    Happy Healing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you have a speedy recovery! :]

    And, he is a cutie pie, seriously the cutest little boy I have ever seen. <3

    XoXo,
    Kinsey

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my heart! Hooray for your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved when my son would nap laying on my chest! I miss when he was that little! Every once in a while, he'll lay there for a minute or two but then he's off! Oh, the life of a one year old. :]

    Your new addition is adorable! I'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful post, beautiful pictures. :) All that working out before the birth is helping you feel good now and heal faster. Enjoy it and trust yourself and your husband. Nobody knows what your kid knows more than you. Love him with all your heart and the rest will be okay. I know about the new mommy worries! Glad you're taking time to bask in his glow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. awww, i just love his teeeeny little arms &legs in the photo where he's on hank's lap! i always forget how funny &floppy newborns are!! my 3rd niece is due any day now, &i can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These pictures are beautiful, and I love that you're both reading to him already. He's going to grow up to be so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats :) That second picture is thee cutest. Just wanted to say also well done on breastfeeding as well as promoting it so well. I'm a student midwife and the amount of woman who don't even consider it - when it's the best, and FREE! :)

    http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Danielle! He is so precious and new and beautiful! My firstborn's name is Henry, and I'm expecting our second baby, another son named Ezra, any day now! I'm so excited for you; this part of the journey is filled with everyday magic and whimsy, and pure joy and elation at this little being that completely takes over your world. I can't wait to feel that again when Ezra arrives. I'm so happy you're having no trouble breastfeeding! I was fortunate as well, and my Henry was a nursing pro from the start. IT WAS SO NICE! And it's wonderful that your recovery is going so well...it helps when you've got that amazing baby to stare at for hours, right? We remember our necks hurting from constantly looking down at Henry's little face.

    So happy for you, my heart is bursting. Keep us posted, and enjoy the magic...

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a beautiful post - I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling right now xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, he's such a dashing young man already. Definitely destined to break hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  37. he is a really cute baby! this is a high compliment coming from me, haha. most newborns look like little old men! :]

    ReplyDelete
  38. He is so cute. I love reading these posts about your family happiness, you are going to be great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  39. i'm so happy for you all, its the most amazing and magical thing being at home with your little baby.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  40. So cute, and so wonderful! I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be going perfectly, you deserve this happiness! Of course things will change very soon, so enjoy these moments while you can (and keep recording them like you are, you will appreciate it later on because you will most likely forget much of it! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I truly believe children's personalities are a reflection of their parents' personalities - sounds like Henry's just as sweet and laid back as you and Hank are!

    ReplyDelete
  42. He is so cute! I'm so happy for you!

    I can't wait to start a family!

    Marja <3

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, Henry really is just so precious. I am very happy for you. It warms my heart to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  44. he is such a gorgeous baby and I love reading your thoughts about him! And I love that pack & play design, what brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for sharing your experience with us Danielle. It fills my heart with joy to see such love and happiness - really makes me feel excited about being a mum one day too :) hope the rest of your recovery goes well and big love to you, Hank and Henry xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. just far too cute

    im sooo happy for you and hank and seeing your baby posts and tweets has increased my broodiness tenfold!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hands down the most adorable blog post I have ever read. It even made ME happy. I'm so glad you're embracing motherhood in such good spirits. I'm sure you're gonna be an incredible mum.

    ReplyDelete
  48. aww the daddy baby story time picture totally brought a tear to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi, I'm Rose and I've been reading your blog for a while now and just wanted to say hello finally and thank you for sharing this journey into motherhood with readers far and wide (I'm in Melbourne, Australia), Tattoo Tuesdays have also been interesting as I'm hoping to have my first tattoo done soon.
    It's been a pleasure to read about your experience/s and see your beautiful little boy arrive.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  50. baby henry is beautiful! and those pictures of him and daddy are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  51. such a handsome little guy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Awww, this post makes me happy and really makes me want to be a Mom. I just smiled the whole time I read this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. HA you made me laugh about the nasal aspirator high fiver. That was me last night -- I can't stand this poor nasally sound little Leo makes and the midwife and doctor keep telling me there's nothing I can do about it. I finally got out the aspirator last night and thought I'm getting this thing cleared out! What concentration it takes for this and feeling of accomplishment! ;) Little Henry is SUCH a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Danielle, congratulations - he looks gorgeous! - I wanted to thank you for sharing such an emotional & honest birth story. Your positivity is very motivating and i wish you all the best. xx

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips