Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dear Henry,

typical morning

Dear Henry,

It's been about 2 weeks since your birthday, and I've been thinking long and hard about how I could even begin to put into words how much joy you've brought into our lives in this short time. Your birth was challenging, yes, and I'm sure one day when you're older I will use that in a teasing way to give you a hard time...but I would go through that experience again and again, a million times over, for you. From the moment I heard you cry my life was changed. I feel like the person I was, and the person I am now are different somehow. It's hard to explain; it's hard to even verbalize what it feels like to have your life altered in an instant, to become someone new, someone better, in the blink of an eye. All I can say is: YOU ARE AMAZING. You are the most perfect little person I have ever met, and (I know this sounds wacky since you are in fact just 12 days old) I am certain that you are going to do something very special and wonderful in this world. You put out this calming, beautiful energy, and your Papa and I can't help but fall a little more in love with you every second of the day. You do the most adorable things- small cooing noises as you fall asleep, tiny smiles once you are asleep, and you even laugh out loud in the middle of dreaming. You're beautiful. Your Dad and I already had an amazing relationship, but since you've come along I feel like my love for him only grows and grows. He is an amazing Dad and loves taking care of you. He talks about your long legs and big hands and daydreams about you playing sports and skateboarding, and doing all sorts of father-son things. We both just sit and stare at you, your gorgeous little features and expressive face. It's hard to think about you growing up already- but as fast as these past two weeks have gone, I know that the rest of our lives will move in the same fashion. I desperately want to slow everything down. Pause. Rewind. Stop. I never want to forget the way you snuggle into my neck when you're tired, or the way you grip your Papa's hand with your tiny fingers. I want to always remember the noises you make, the smell of your hair, and the way you purse your lips after we kiss you. Every stage will come, and although that is so exciting, the stage we've left behind will never be lived again. So that's why when I'm tired, when I'm going on two hours of sleep, I take a moment and just love love love it, love it in all of it's wonderful beauty. This will only happen once, and I promise you I will never look too far into the future and miss the now. Every stage will come. And every stage will go. All we can do is be in the here and now. And let me tell you, my darling son, the here and now is a pretty amazing place to be, thanks to you.

I love you,

Mama

hey baby!

33 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little face. This one almost made me cry. I love it! :)

    The Sweetest Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautifully written, and such a handsome little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that got a tear from me! beautiful <3

    He is adorable x

    ReplyDelete
  4. your point of view is always so positive & humble, I love that you cherish every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beautiful letter, wonderful words and adorable little boy, i am so happy for you two, you three! love/ k

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so beautiful, henry is going to so love reading these letters when he's older. I love how you say you know he's going to do great things :) what fab, supportive, loving parents you both are!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and heart felt post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is seriously beautiful, especially for a newborn. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. you do change. motherhood turns you into the person you were meant to be. it brings out more love and patience then you ever thought you were capable of feeling.

    and those little smiles in their sleep? yeah, they melt my heart like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing gift these letters will be to Henry and his someday wife and family. =)

    XO
    Carly

    All this is Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. he is just beautiful! and you look amazing!! :) congratulations..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i look over at my sweet 7 yr old and am amazed at how time flies- enjoy every second! I love reading your words, reminds me of when I 1st got my daughter in China and that magical transformation in my heart!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet! When my daughter was born I felt like I had become a member of a secret club that I didn't even know exsisted until I became a mother. It was the weirdest feeling. Soooo welcome to the secret "Mom's Club" lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute. Congratulations again. He is adorable and it sounds like life is going really well for you. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! So cute! (the letter and little Henry)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to get better and actually write a letter to our Judah before he comes so he can look back on it. Your letters are so sweet and heartfelt. Makes me more and more excited for my husband and I to meet our little guy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in absoulte l o v e with your blog! I probably spent most of last night going through your entries till I hit the very first one! Henry is darling, and I think you and Hank will be amazing parents. Henry is one lucky boy!

    P.S. - Would love if you could do a post about whats in your bag/ diaper bag now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. you're not using cloth diapers?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anon, re: cloth diapers- No, we are currently using Pampers Sensitive Swaddlers! We are not going to go the cloth route. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness he looks so much like you in the second picture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this letter - looooove those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. He is so sweet danielle. Congratulations and many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My kids are 13 and 10 and still, nearly daily, I tell them to stop - just stay how they are. I know they are going to be amazing when they get older, but the people they are right now are equally amazing and hilarious and gorgeous. I want to keep these moments, just like I've wanted to keep them all before.

    Beautiful post, Danielle. Henry is a lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. YOU MAKE ME CRY...SO SWEET!AND BABYBOY IS BEAUTIFUL!WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST!^_________^

    ReplyDelete
  25. he's so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. awww love this and the photos!! too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my God, you made me cry! He's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips