Monday, December 6, 2010

Henry: Week 2

family photo, 12/5

Another week down, a lifetime to go, and it truly gets better everyday! At the same time, it's also gotten harder while getting conversely easier, if that makes any sense. My Mom had been staying with us since Henry was born, and she left this weekend. It was very, very hard on Hank and me. My Mom is my best friend, and Hank is incredibly close with her- he considers her a Mom as well, and it's hard that my family lives hours away. While she was here she helped us with Henry in every way. Neither of us has had much baby experience, so it was so incredibly convenient to have a veteran mama around to show us the ropes. I can be a bit of an alarmist (is that normal? is he okay?), so it was good to have her around to say, "Yes, he is perfectly fine and that is totally normal, don't worry." So yes, when she left this weekend it was emotionally tough, but I'm doing much better now. Today is actually my very first day on my own, no Mom and no Hank, and we are doing a-okay!

This weekend was a lot of fun though, outside of the whole Mom-leaving thing. We had a few visitors over and Henry was an angel. Both Friday and Saturday night though he was up all night, so we barely got any sleep...but then last night he slept for 3 three-hour blocks so I am feeling pretty rested this morning. As soon as he wakes up from his little nap we are going to head out on a walk around the neighborhood (another first on my own), and I'm excited for some fresh air!

Even though it's only been a week since my last Henry update, I do feel like a bit has changed with him. He seems more responsive for sure, and he looks different than he did even a week ago. His belly button still hasn't fallen off- I'm assuming it will be any moment by the looks of it, and I can't wait to start him doing some tummy time. Right now we still spend time on the floor, but on his back or side, and I can't get enough of laying next to him. He'll just stare into my eyes and it melts my heart in the best kind of way. He smiles a lot too, and although everyone says it's just gas I know he's really just the happiest baby alive and is really and truly smiling right at me! ;)

A couple of people have asked about Madeline, and how she is doing with the baby. As far as getting her ready to meet Henry, we did have my sister bring one of his hospital blankets home the first night for Madeline. She actually ended up bringing it into her bed and sleeping with it all night, which I thought was adorable! A day later when we brought Henry home Madeline was as gentle as could be, with her only issue being over-curiosity, which I expect to be very normal. As the week went on she calmed down a lot with the sniffing and wanting to lick every inch of Henry, and now I'd even say she's a bit protective over him in a subtle way. When I'm nursing him in bed, she will lay at the foot of it and keep watch, it's adorable. I'd say she's doing very, very well and I'm proud of her. Madeline is generally a calm, sweet pup though so I wasn't ever worried, but it is a relief to have had the whole introduction go so well.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and before I go, here are some photos from this weekend:

Andrew, Hank, Dustin and Henry

Andrew!

Andrew! :)

Uncle Dustin's back from tour!

Uncle Dusty

and a quick little video from last week that I forgot to share...the yawn kills me every time!


35 comments:

  1. Heheh, I love seeing guys hold babies.
    My brothers --heck, my whole family-- loves babies.
    It's darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!! that video melted me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, that yawn! I think it's Henry's little face post-yawn that does it, haha. I'm so happy to hear that you're all doing okay and it's lovely to hear how great Madeline is handling it all too.

    I love that first picture, you guys make a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baby boy is truly beautiful.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, he is so cute - too cute for words. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If little Henry keeps those yawns up, you'll have to change the blog name to Seriously Sweet ;)

    He is beautiful, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update on your little angel, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Danielle -

    I just have to say how sweet your blog posts about Henry are. To be honest, I don't like "baby" posts all that much but yours are different. Yours are real and honest and adorable. Yours is the only blog-baby I've gotten really excited about. I was actually wondering during times I was offline if Henry had arrived yet right around your due date. I hope that doesn't sound creepy. I don't mean it to. I just think you are cool and I think more moms should be like you!

    Keep rocking!

    Karen Beth
    msred5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad to hear you are all doing so well.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow :) love the blogs new look!!
    Henry is completely lovely <3

    http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww his little yawn, how cute!! sorry you are missing your mom, that must be hard. enjoy every single second of this phase because it flys by so quick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even after 15 months, it still gets better everyday! Every morning is like Christmas morning going into his room! I'm glad you are doing so well on your first day alone, my first day was rough and I broke down once Chris walked in the door...I'm sure it helps that you are in a warmer climate and are able to get out for walks and I'm sure sweet Henry loves it too! He's such a sweet boy! Enjoy thet teenyness of him and let him do the koala hold all the time...that's one of the things I miss the most! Oh I LOVE the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is just perfect :) I am so happy for your little family :)
    Love and Turtledoves,
    Jaco

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am dying over how cute that video was. What a handsome little boy you have there.

    I remember crying when my mom left after my first and I anticipate that again after the next one comes (at the end of the month!). Mom's are so amazing and great to help with the "what is that and is the baby ok?" questions. Good luck with venturing out on your own :) Sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness he is adorable! What a beautiful family you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's pretty scarey and wonderful all at the same time :) The worried feelings don't go away, but definitely diminish in intensity. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to know Madeline and Henry like each other!Have a good calm week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY I totally know how you feel when your Mom leaves! I bawled like a baby. My baby is 12 weeks now and it is SOOOO much easier I promise promise promise. When I was at your stage just a few weeks ago I thought I might just loose my mind. Then I became best friends with coffee!!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post was one of the cutest posts ever!

    Your family pic & that little baby yawning! omg how do you hug & kiss him every sec ;)

    I am happy to see how great the three of you look.

    with love,

    krisitn

    ReplyDelete
  20. So adorable! I can't get enough! Yeah I just moved back in with my mom for the time being and she has a toy poodle and I have a golden retriever. They both do good with her, they just try to lick her all the time so we are working on that with both of them lol.

    He is going to grow right before your eyes though! Its crazy how they do.

    The Sweetest Life

    ReplyDelete
  21. He is gorgeous! Such a sweet, sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you are feeling better after your mum left. :)

    Does Henry look especially alike to how you or Hank did as babies? Or is he quite a mix?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too sweet. I love seeing big, bad boys hold babies! Most precious thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nothing sexier than beefy tattooed bearded men holding a little one. SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a cute post. You're lucky to have such a great mum and I'm sure you'll be an amazing mum with an influence like that. I couldn't watch the video :( but the photo's are too cute, guys with babies, melted heart lol
    Scrapbook de la Emma

    ReplyDelete
  27. he is so gorgeous danielle! :D and you look amazing, as usual! :) congrats on all the amazing new moments in your life, and loving this new blog look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Henry's yawn really is precious. I love the picture of all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goooosh, that yawn is just PRECIOUS.
    He is truly beautiful. I am SO happy for you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute. Love his long legs and feet.

    ReplyDelete
  31. no words..he's very smart eyes, he's the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  32. cutest yawn ever little henry! he's so alert for being so young, he's going to be so smart!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips