Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tattoo Tuesday V.54


Name and blog name: Melanie, www.ideegeniale.blogspot.com

Age: 29

Occupation: Fashion Merchandiser/Buyer

Age of first tattoo: 16

Favorite tattoo: My tea party theme sleeve (work in progress)

Featured tattoo/location: Geisha on right side of my back

Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Steve Cole at Sacred Heart tattoo in Vancouver,BC


1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art? 


My featured tattoo is the Geisha that I rarely ever see due to its placement on my back. I had found a scroll in Chinatown in Vancouver that had a similar lady in traditional robes that I hung in my apartment. After looking at it for the longest time it just hit me that, that is what i wanted as my new tattoo. So I went to Steve (a friend of my now ex-boyfriend) and asked him to switch her Chinese robe to a Japanese  kimono and add more traditional Japanese touches, like the fan and hairstyle.

2) Do you have any other tattoos?  If so, what do you have and where? 

Well, my first ever tattoo was a black butterfly on my lower back which is now covered up thanks to Steve's skills at making it disappear among the flowers. My second one was a fairy on my left hip, which is embarrassing but hey, it was the nineties. I have some lilies and waves on my left shoulder. This year I started on a tea party themed sleeve on my right arm. It's full of fancy china and little vintage trinkets.



3) Do you plan on getting more? 

I think so, yes. But I need to get my arm finished before anything else gets started.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?  Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? 

For the most part, my family has accepted my tattoos. They feel that it's just a part of who I am and they don't expect me to hide them at family functions. My mom has been a little apprehensive about it now that they keep getting bigger and more visible but I know that it's just not her style. I've been pretty fortunate to work in an environment where tattoos are acceptable. I can go to work and not worry that my arm isn't fully covered and not feel self-conscious about it.

Most of my friends don't have tattoos but it's never really an issue. If they are thinking of getting one, I'm always around to answer any questions or offer up advice.


5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

I feel like this has been said a lot but definitely do your research. If you have a friend or see someone that has the same style tattoo that you're thinking of, ask them where they got it, and hopefully, it'll be local. That said, trust your artist. He/She is the professional and if he/she says that something won't fit where you want it, or will have to be bigger or smaller, it's most likely the truth. They don't want their work to look like crap so they're going to do their best to accommodate you but there's always a few small changes that might need to be made so be open to the advice the artist is giving you.

23 comments:

  1. Loving the colours in the Tea Party tat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the start of the tea party sleeve! Even the name is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That geisha is beautiful!

    Have a sweet day!
    X,
    www.brittanyhavican.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the yellow roses. ive been seeing them a lot more lately

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! i also am loving her work in progress sleeve :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vancouver, B.C! Holla! :)

    bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tea party sleeve is so lovely! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is absolutely adorable!! Gorgeous tattoos as well. I love these posts so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh geez! I LOVE Mel! What a great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful tattoo's...love the Geisha!

    thanks for another great tattoo tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I wish I had the guts to get even one tattoo.

    Check out my blog :)
    http://iamjewelz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty girl!
    I loved her tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a doll! I love her tea party sleeve<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tattoos! I love her hair as well.

    XOXO,
    Danielle
    itisajoiseywayofthinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her style and her blog is awesome! Thanks for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. My friend Chris works at one of the Sacred Hearts in Vancouver, not sure if it's the same one...

    That geisha is pretty rad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i must say, i love tattoo tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Danielle!

    I've been following your blog for some time now and I'd love to participate on your Tattoo Tuesday. What do I have to do?

    I love your blog, kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love them all! Great photos.
    I wish tattoos were more accepted in Memphis.
    Don't get me wrong, we have tons of tatted folks and GREAT tattoo artists but most of us cover up at work, weddings, church and other public places.

    Do you sport your tattoos while teaching? It is seriously frowned upon here in Memphis.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips