Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day...to me?

 {image via weheartit}

Before Hank, I spent many Valentine's Days being annoyed at all of the couples holding hands, being cute, and rubbing it in my face that I didn't have that special someone, to spend this special day with. Now, I like all things love and mushiness, but somewhere inside of me is still that girl who is irritated by the huge stuffed teddy bears and gigantic heart-shaped boxes of candy. My perfect Valentine's date? Getting takeout burritos and watching a funny movie. Luckily Hank is romantic in the same way I am, and there will never be any "When a Man Loves a Woman" playing in our home. But it makes me think back to my Valentine's Days before I found the great love of my life. Although I was like I mentioned, annoyed from time to time, I often tried to make Valentine's Day a day about love...but the love I have for MYSELF. So hey you, single or not...let's show ourselves some love today. Pamper yourself, treat yourself to a truffle...'cause guess what? YOU DESERVE IT!

With that said, here's a list of 7 ways to love yourself now, and to have the happiest Valentine's Day ever. If you still have the need to call someone your Valentine, I'm your girl too! ;)

1) Get your ipod and find your most favorite, happy song. Dance like no one's watching for the entire thing. Shake your booty, jump around, be silly.

2) Look in the mirror and repeat the following to yourself 5x, making every word count: "Dang girl, you fine." You'll either believe it, or you'll laugh. Both are good. :)

3) If it's not too cold, take yourself out on a bike ride. Work it going up hill, and then coast gloriously home on the down.

4) Call up the fanciest restaurant in town and order yourself a dinner in. Light some candles and really just enjoy that delicious food without anyone else there to take away from the experience. Savor it and really focus on all of the amazing tastes you are experiencing.

5) Get out that super pink or red nail polish and give yourself a totally gaudy Valentine's pedicure. Or better yet, go to the nail salon (it'll be empty) and treat yourself to a nice mani-pedi. Foot massage? Okay!

6) Go to the store and buy the cutest, sexiest lingerie, and wear it just for you. Prance around the house, feel beautiful, and enjoy it because "dang girl, you fine." (see above)

7) Write yourself a love letter. Sounds weird, but it's such a great exercise to list all of the reasons your love yourself. And if you find this tough to do, take it as a sign that you need to work more on this. You are so lovable, and if you don't see it, I'm sure many other people do!

I promise you, Valentine's Day can be fun if you kind of flip the focus. It doesn't have to be about the sappy stuff we see all over the place. And I know, easy coming from a happily married old sap, but I consider Madeline and Henry my Valentines too, as well as a bunch of my girlfriends all over the place. Love comes in different forms, and no one says that we can't be our own! 

So, happy Valentine's Day to you...and me too!

26 comments:

  1. I love being about to spend a nice night with my boyfriend. For example this evening we are going out for Chinese buffet and then thrift shopping after. I can't wait!

    Love the tips for singles! hehe I've always liked to look at V-Day as a day for love and kindness in general, not necessarily for couples, but for family, friends too. Too much emphasis on the couples not enough on the love! :P~

    Anyway, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ideas are so much fun (^_^) I shall be doing pretty much all of these today (bar ordering fancy food...I think I'm in a homemade pizza mood tonight!) Thank you for the Valentine's inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend and I are spending Valentines infront of the TV with a Chinese takeaway, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on this one. Valentine's day is a tricky one...I find that even couples in a relationship have a lot of trouble with the amount of pressure this holiday puts on us.

    I love the idea of writing yourself a love letter! This is a really sweet list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great list. valentines can really be the best. homemade pizza for the fella and me tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post! i have written myself a love letter and i tell myself that in the mirror as well. it is so important to give yourself love instead of always looking for it outside of ourselves. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle, those are all such really great and sweet ideas for us single gals! I love it!

    Happy Valentines Day!

    I know I'll be treating myself today--per usual. Gotta love yourself as much as you love others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this post. tons. i just learned how important (and fun!) it is to love yourself during the past year and dang, it's great.

    happy love day to all of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love #1.

    That reminds me...in need to get to downloading some jams into my new beloved iPhone...

    ...have VDay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's day! I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for flowers and chocolates!!! I love the little teddy's as gifts for my little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love it! i told my husband this morning over breakfast...i think i'll take a nice hot bubble bath today. oh yes, happy valentine's day to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post so much because I agree--Valentine's doesn't have to be about mushy significant others! It should just be about sharing a fun day with people you love and eating delicious reese's peanut butter hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. definitely going to use that 'dang girl, you fine' line on myself every day from now on haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds just perfect! I think I will make this a new tradition, because you can't love anyone else until you love yourself.
    Thanks for the list and the reminder :)
    Happy Valentines Day!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute and real. DANG GIRL, YOU ARE FINE. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang girl, you fine! made me giggle. lol Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Valentines day id my husbands birthday so we celebrate our V-Day on the 14th March. But tonight I cooked 3 courses, we put the baby to bed and watched the TV together.
    It was a nice way to spend the evening. Just us.
    Love the ideas list! inspires me to get a pedicure this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha! I totally love the whole "Dang girl, you fine" deal. And, yeah, I'm not much on the mushy stuff. A good comedy or action filled movie, and some good ole takeou,t is perfection at its best. :]

    Happy Valentines Day!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best V Day post I've read this year! While this is my second Valentine's in a relationship, we don't make a bit fuss out of it. I made my guy creme brulee and he got me a little Ninjago Lego set 'cause I love Lego and didn't have any before (bed gift ever, basically, lol).

    I like to make sure the people I love know it year round, but I could work on loving myself more too. Being kinder to myself. These tips are really good, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love this post! These tips are wonderful for every girl, single or taken, for Valentines Day and beyond! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love this!!! sounds like the recipe for a perfect day everyday :)

    http://3-rounds-and-a-sound.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. dani, loved this post. thank you! so uplifting!
    [kelly]

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a single girl - single for the first time in four and a bit years, and only for the second time in nine years. I hate Valentine's Day, but then again I always did.

    However, I think these are great tips that any girl, single or not, should follow. Sometimes we tend to do things for others more than for ourselves, and that's just not right. I hope you inspired a few girls to give themselves a break this Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips