Monday, February 7, 2011

Love is...

NJ

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."

-St. Augustine, from the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin

28 comments:

  1. Aw, that is one of my favorite quotes. And such a lovely photo to pair with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally gorgeous, and absolutely true. It nearly makes me want to change my wedding reading…


    XO
    Carly

    all this is grace and charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! That picture is great too, I love it. :)

    The Sweetest Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quote. These words are actually really apt for what's going on in my life at the moment and I'm so glad you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that was so beautiful to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a beautiful quote! Made my morning, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is seriously one of my favorite quotes of all time!! I think the original quote is by Louis de Bernières. I love it. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful, and so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Said and perfect for the occasion.
    Happy Valentine's day!

    Duda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes so much sense. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quote...I don't tihnk love could be better described than this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved this photo of you two. Makes me want to go on a vacation soooo bad. I'm scared I'll have to wait for our honeymoon... whenever that is.

    PS. That dress = love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. I'm a new reader. Also a boy mom! Glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was the reading I picked for my best man at my wedding. So beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is beautiful and so true. I've always been told to read the book, but something about Nic Cage being in the movie has always put me off. Is this quote only from the movie or the book also?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, I really loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was the reading at our wedding. It's SO beautiful.

    Also - HI! I'm Ashley and new to your blog. Your family is SO precious, and I've enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips