Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday links to love

 Henry Clarence, nap skipper!

Happy Friday! I hope all of you had the best week. It's been a good one for me, and I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Hank and I have some fun things planned and since I'm down in Phoenix right now I am missing him a lot! Henry and I came down for a couple of days and have been so busy from morning to night, so I'm already excited about heading back home and relaxing a little bit. Today though I had such a lovely lunch with my friend Chelsea. We ate at Liberty Market (my first time there) and it was really delicious. She interviewed me for one of her classes and we had a long, extremely interesting conversation in regards to blogging. Super insightful and it was just a lot of fun to chit chat with her for so long. Afterward I stopped by Anthro to pick up some knobs, took an afternoon with Henry (or tried to) and then went and got my hair colored and trimmed by sweet Rhonda. It's always such a pleasure to see her.

Chelsea and me

 pre-nap skipping ;)


I've really been trying to focus on staying the positive, and for those that read my blog regularly you know that I write about this topic often. Although I would consider myself a very happy person, to be where I am has taken work, and like anything, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Over the past few years it's become a lot easier for me to snap myself out of moods or funks I get into, but just because it's easier doesn't mean it's 100% easy. I'm sensitive and unfortunately have a habit of over thinking and letting things get to me. My personal struggle is accepting and moving past, rather than dwelling and holding on. Does anyone else relate to that? For instance, let's say a friend tells me that another friend is saying something mean about me. My best self would just shake it off, and move on. Who cares, right? That person clearly has their own issues. On a bad day though I find myself wondering why, over thinking why someone I used to call a friend would be saying anything negative about me, and over analyze things about myself. It's annoying and I beat myself up over the fact that I do over analyze. So there I am, upset about A, and then getting upset about getting upset, which then creates a B and causes me to be upset about multiple things. It snowballs. So like I said, my struggle is getting past that, leaving it in a "it is what it is" box, and not letting it affect my day. 

I'm getting there though, and I feel like every time I move past a hurdle or a block in my mind I grow stronger and I learn what I need to do for next time. I'm excited to see personal growth in myself and I honestly feel like lately I've been taking these huge steps towards being the best self I can be. In fact, I'd like to pat myself on the back because just this week I managed to really stay in the positive when some things were thrown at me, and I'm feeling proud of myself that I was able to move on. Virtual high five, anyone?

I also wanted to take a moment out and say thank you, thank you for all of the nice comments on our family photos. I'm a total weirdo and usually HATE any posed photos like that, but I was blown away when I saw them because I love each and every one of them. Christina is talented for sure, and I can't even explain how happy I feel to have captured this time in our lives. Hank, me, our little boy who is almost half a year old. I will forever cherish those photos! And really, thank you for all of the sweet things you said about them, I really appreciated every single thing you all wrote.

So in closing, I really hope all of you have a great weekend! Blog wise, I'll be sharing my next Mama Style post, and of course an Easter post after our afternoon with Hank's family.

For now though, here are some links to check out:

I guest posted over on Maryam's blog a little bit about Madeline and Henry and the transition from one "baby" to two.

How adorable are these wedding invitations? Sometimes I kind of want to marry Hank a second time just so we can do it all over again!

Speaking of weddings, this Brooklyn wedding was so unique- definitely worth a look. (hint: the beautiful bride wore a mini skirt with a detachable train!)

I enjoyed this article on spring cleaning your digital life.

A round up of Martha's best Easter crafts? Yes please!

Now, I've never tried Nutella (shame on me, I know) but I know that more than a few of you may be interested in this homemade Nutella recipe!

Baby C has arrived! Congratulations Kyle and Sarah.

Kristine's Cute Japan feature is so...cute! Plus, I love her blog.

I love this print. I'm such a morning person that it makes me smile, but to Hank it would just be plain annoying I'm sure.

I really related to Lindsay's post on being more lenient with yourself.

Boys are the best, and this write up about being a mama to a boy made me smile.

One of my favorite blogs, one of my favorite colors.

Pecan, coconut and lemon bars. Yes yes yes please.

Using books to create shelves. Genius! And so charming.

Those crazy kids have done it again! I adore Rachel and Don's newest video(s).

Jen shares her Ukrainian Easter Eggs in this post. Super neat and it kind of makes me want to do the same, although mine definitely wouldn't be as cute as hers!

I must be hungry because after this post all I want is a personal sized pie. Or a not so personal sized one that I can make personal.

And finally, congratulations to one of my sweetest blogging lady friends!

27 comments:

  1. I do the over analysing thing too, and then I get mad at myself for doing it! It seems like such a silly cycle when you can look at it objectively, but being in the thick of it can feel so very overwhelming. I really want to stop being so bothered by things, especially other people. All the people I love seem to think I'm amazing so I should stop beating myself up over silly things inconsequential people say or do, or whatever else is troubling. Life cannot be happy 100% of the time and I have to learn to accept that rather than feeling like the sky is falling.

    Anyway, I wish you all the best on your journey of 'letting go'.
    Also, I just want to say that I find a lot of inspiration to be positive from your posts. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... you have the most beautiful baby boy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to overanalyzing things, I have that problem too. I started reading a book this week about accepting both the highs and lows of life and allowing all aspects of life to be a part of the way you view the world. The book is about not trying to always "win" or making everything "right" and "fit" with the main principle being that doing this, is rejecting a large part of life itself. The book is "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron. I am only halfway through it I have already been able to react to situations in a less judgmental, more settled way. I highly recommend reading this book!
    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting about staying positive and letting things go. It's been a particularly rough week and I have been struggling to stay positive and not overanalyze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry's eyes are soo blue!

    Hope your weekend is amazing Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Danielle. How I loveLOVElove these link lists. Also: I get so much strength from your words that I am going to bypass the virtual high five and give you a great big virtual hug. I'm in the sensitive, sometime-snowballing-negativity boat, too. Big cups of tea and blogs like yours always help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm the same way danielle. it's like a constant struggle for me which is really frustrating. i do appreciate the personal growth though, although it doesn't happen as frequently as i'd like it to.

    henry has the same raccoon shirt. he wears it probably 2 times a week if not more and we get mixed remarks of "cute SKUNK shirt" and "cute RACCOON shirt". maybe i should start tallying?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'll give you a high five danielle. i totally understand what you mean. it is only human to feel hurt, irritated, and defensive but then again..as humans we can also overcome it and just...hope that person or thing that causes us distress can be at peace with themselves (to quit bothering us, haha). the good thing is you're aware of all that you're going through so it keeps you rather grounded instead of entering a terribly tumultuous path. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had such a lovely time with you yesterday! Thank you so much for letting me interview you! :]

    Hope to see you sometime again soon! Have a great day today! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally understand where you're coming from about letting little things bother you, that you really don't want to bother you. Like you know that it is something so menial, and unimportant, but you can't stop how you're feeling. I am working on this too, I want to be able to just let things roll off my shoulders and not spend so much time being upset about things I can't control. But it is really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally relate. I, too, have learnt to look on the bright side, to let differences of opinions go, to snap out of blue moods much, much faster than I used to... but there are times when I find it hard to shrug off a criticism (especially when that criticism is something unpleasant about how upbeat I am!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I relate? Yep. And, most women can. Forgive me, I'm about to bust out my Psych training: The habit of allowing bad juju (for lack of a better word) to seep into more parts of your life than it should is a universally female tendency. Unlike men, women don't compartmentalize information. In the female brain, all aspects of life are connected. While this can be an advantage in many ways, it also makes it difficult to "let stuff go". Leaving upsetting information in its appropriate "box" is impossible for women-the "box" simply does not exist! Instead of beating ourselves up for failing to compartmentalize bad information, we can make a conscious effort to push away obsessive thoughts as they arise.It sounds to me like you're doing a great job of that already. :)

    XO
    Carly

    All This Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same problem. I say "who cares?" but in reality I do care. More so that other people will actually believe the lies and think I'm the way this person portrays me. But in the end we're all big girls and if someone wants to act like a child it doesn't mean I have to revert as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, can I relate. I over-think things so much that I usually create something that isn't there. For example, a friend was supposed to text me after her first ultrasound. When I didn't hear from her, I starting thinking something bad happened. Well, turns out that she tried to text me a picture, which I didn't couldn't receive and therefore didn't get the text at all.

    My poor husband has to talk me off of ledges when these things happen. My mind just starts racing with all of the things that could be wrong or what I did to cause it.

    So, yes, yes I can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that is a curse women struggle with. If I call in sick to work..I am all day worrying if they will be mad at me. And don't even get me started if someone is mad at me or dosen't like me. I just have to sit back and relax..blogging has helped me. I find other women who I admire and who I draw inspiration from. I pray that, that is what I can do for someone else through my photography and my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally think it's a female thing as well, unfortunately so many of us deal with the same issues. Sounds like you're doing a bang up job of dealing with it though, think we can all learn from your post! So glad that there are people like you out here to talk about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. high five! I can totally relate to this post and thanks for always being so honest about how sometimes it is hard to be positive.
    But I think you are mastering it:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, you are so sweet. I'm so glad you like Cute Japan! I was thinking that I really wish I talked to you more when I was back in AZ. You've really become one of my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm currently in the same rut, love. I have a tendency to over analyze every situation and make big deals out of small issues. It's hard to not do it when I've been thinking like this my entire life! Kudos to you for working so hard and being positive. That's definitely something I need to dedicate a lot of effort to.

    *high five!*

    <333

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally know what you mean. I recently let some things really get to me and I feel as if I'm getting kicked in the booty for it now. But I honestly think that those feelings we feel are for a reason. Because we believe in something and we feel so strong about it. If we act upon those feelings, that is good - resolving the problems. I seriously JUST went through something with family with something that I feel strongly about. It's hard sometimes, but I feel that if it's important to me and I feel so strongly about it - then it's ok. Of course, having those feelings and not doing anything about it won't do anything. I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling (and possibly venting, ha). I think that nobody is wrong whether they brush things off their shoulders or have feelings about it. There is not a right or wrong to that.

    PHEW! Sorry for the long comment! I hope you are having a lovely weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do have the exact same problem. I start thinking maybe it's my fault people are rude or judgmental. It's a downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i can relate totally. And then I tend to obsess about trying to not obsess. Its a vicious cycle. What helps me is stepping back and focusing on all the wonderful things and seeing the big picture. How much time and energy do I really want to spend on something that doesn't matter anyway? And keep in mind the time you spend worrying about your own feelings is time you are not spending with the things that are most important, like your family. Keep your head up and your face to the sunshine girl.
    love sara

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog is so amazing. I'm following.

    I only hope to better my blog by reading other amazing blogs like yours.

    www.ladydazy@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I am big, big over analyzer. It's definitely a struggle to STOP doing it. But, I am working on it.. everyday! :]

    Nice to read this post and the comments and see I'm not alone on this! :]

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am totally like you , too. over thinking and not being able to let things go. ugh.

    what are your tricks? i need some tips on how to move on and stay more positive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I simply adore Liberty Market! When I first moved back to Arizona two summers ago and was between jobs I spent way too many mornings there drinking coffee and surfing on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Letting go is hard, it's such a tedious process, yet it is done elegantly so well by some. That predicament you said of a person talking horribly abouto me hit home because for days I sunk into this sadness and angryness for someone that was once in my life! most days i would have kept going and not caring. It's odd. I guess it's just sensitivity and being way too human. Good luck, though! don't sweat it, glad it is getting easier for you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips