Thursday, April 7, 2011

new feature: a look back via Livejournal

Welcome to a new feature here at Sometimes Sweet! I thought it would be fun to take a look back via my old and dear Livejournal every now and then (maybe once a month), and share some of my old entries from so long ago. Basically I'll be looking back at the exact day in my archives, and posting entries from 2003, 2004, and 2005. I chose these three years out of the many because they cover huge changes I went through during those younger years. To give you some background, in 2003 I was a sophomore and then a junior in college at Northern Arizona University (NAU), majoring in English Literature and living in a huge 8-bedroom duplex with my best girlfriends/sorority sisters (and one lucky guy, Kenny). In 2004 I graduated college in May and after graduating I moved down to Scottsdale with Autumn and Shirley, and found myself managing the Aveda store at Scottsdale Fashion Square. We lived in an adorable pink house together, and entries from the latter part of 2004 will detail that first post-grad year, the craziness of being done with college but still not knowing what I was doing with my life, and even meeting my future husband, Hank later that summer. 2005 details our first year dating long distance, and the story of us falling in love. Some of the entries, like this first one, make me laugh because I was 20 years old, so dramatic, and the writing is almost silly in its naiveté.  Hopefully you don't make fun of me too much, at least no more than Hank and I are right now as I read it aloud to him! haha. Well, I hope you all enjoy this little peek into my past and I encourage you to do something similar on your blog if you have a livejournal or similar journal from years gone by!


 

April 7th, 2003 11:19 am
mood: peaceful
music: Azure Ray - November

You kissed my forehead, and told me I was beautiful.

so good morning to me yet again. this week i vow to take care to notice all the small beautiful things in life. i promise i will stop and notice the way the clouds move across the blue and the way spring smells while it is just around the corner. i will cherish every second and every minute and every hour i am here and at the end of the day i will take some time for quiet-me and just think and meditate and be.

i need to stop procrastinating and putting the smallest things off until they disappear seem to disappear and just get them done. i love my room and it is cluttered and messied and the floor is no longer carpet, but clothes. i have 3 papers due. i have friends to catch up with and a life to live. but yet day after day i sleep in until noon and hide under my covers until anything i don't particularly like passes.

i don't like sean in that more-than-a-friend way. there is no spark, no goosebumps. after the nervousness of new wore off, there was nothing left there but a great guy who makes me laugh. but he doesn't make me giggle. he makes me smile, but not blush. i like to feel the butterflies, and no, i can't still feel them.

so once again i sleep alone and that is okay. i like me. and i know someone out there will too. and that boy will give me the goosebumps and i will be silly in love.

remember chasing amy the movie? i do.

Holden: "I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are."

i love that. don't you? so now i am going to make my floor carpet again, my closet shelved, and my desk workable. then i am going to go to the gym and spend my evening composing a paper that i will somehow become excited about.

today is another day and i am here. and i love me and you and life. byebye.
 
 {the pink house we moved into summer of 2004}

April 7th, 2004 1:42 am

sometimes the biggest wake up call comes as a good night call.

sad. but i understand now.

you cannot put the circle peg in the square hole. i mean, if i worked super hard to manipulate the shape, and change the square to a circle, or vice versa, there would be a match. but no one should change to suit someone else. ever.

and funny, i feel like i can finally get some sleep.


April 7th, 2005 9:06 am

i am excited for this week. last night's show was amazing. i love seven generations so much. every single time i see them i just walk on clouds for the next week or so. gather was awesome too. it was so nice to see everyone, chris and randy especially. hank did well last night too, they sounded great. he leaves wednesday for a two-week west coast tour (the as i lay dying one i mentioned in a few entries), and i am so excited for him. everyone i know keeps asking me if i will be okay with him gone, but come on, it's only two weeks. we already do the long distance thing anyway, so it is not a big thing. this summer though, when he is gone for months at a time it will be a little harder, but i'll definitely be okay. it's just hard when someone is your other half, as he is to me- knowing i can't just drive up and stay with him is sad, but at the same time he is doing one of the things that makes him happiest in life. when you truly love someone, that happiness for their happiness wins over everything. which it does. i just can't wait until two weeks is up and i get to see him.

wednesday is bane, with honor, and comeback kid. at the risk of sounding completely idiotic, i really cannot stop talking, thinking, dreaming, etc. about this show. i have been looking forward to it for so long and it's in three days. threeee days!! i have off the entire day.

now i am going to head to the gym. i have not worked out since last wednesday, which is the longest period of time i haven't been to the gym in years. i was in prescott all weekend having fun with hank so i don't feel too bad about it, but i really am excited to just run and run on that treadmill. i work all night, which i am not looking foward to, but i am determined to be positive about it.

ps. vegan bagels and tofutti cream cheese is my current favorite food.

42 comments:

  1. Oh gosh... I'm almost scared to look back at my LJ.. I know I wrote some silly things way back when!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really really love this feature! This is the reason why I want to start writing daily entries in a journal, because it is really nice to see yourself in retrospect.

    Great job, and I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do this and go back to my LJ... but I think I'm a bit too scared to show those entries, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember that bane/comeback kid tour actually! looking back on my livejournal is so embarrassing sometimes. i whined about finding rides to shows and going to shows and thats about it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this, such a great idea!

    I too like the other commenters am a wee bit frightened to look back over my old LJ entries.......maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome. I recently looked back at some old Livejournal entries I made and laughed my ass off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat!

    In a fashion as melodramatic as my writing once was, last Summer I waited until my boyfriend was out of town on a work trip and I had our house to myself, ripped all the pages from my journals, and burned them one by one. Hah, you could call it therapeutic, but that's about as cliche as burning your diaries is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. what a great idea, and a great way to go back in time! I once had a livejournal, and then deleted it after nearly 200 posts! I cant believe I did that. Wait, yeah i can.. still im sad about the whole thing.

    have a wonderful upcomming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this feature! I never had a LJ but I did have a diary. I was so dramatic back then! ;)

    PS; Comeback Kid?! Ahhh, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just made me sad that I didn't keep my LJ accounts open (2004-2009)! I have never missed those things! But now you made me think it might have been fun to see how I was feeling exactly 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorite things to do- look at the LJ post for one day over the span of a few years! Doing it once a month is a great idea. I'm so glad I exported all my entries and saved them on my computer, especially because I had 3 livejournals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea! So sweet and fun to look back! :)
    P.S. Cute 2003 hair! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a good idea. I wish I had consistently kept a journal of some sort. I had some hand written ones that lasted a few months. Several online ones that lasted anywhere from a few weeks to a year, but then forgot all the info on them. I distinctly remember freeopendiary.com or something. I kept that for about a year and posted in it almost everyday... then it got deleted. I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my favorite feature yet! What a great idea. I love that you even have pictures to go along with the time frame. Oh, Livejournal...

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would totally share some of my old livejournal posts, but then I would have to kill everyone who reads it. just going to say, there was a lot of angst.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, Chasing Amy.

    I don't have anything like this - I kept diaries as a teenager though. Now they are embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is so fun! And it seems like you have always been adorable. Whenever I look back at my old LJs, I cringe. Ha!

    PS I love November by Azure Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cute idea for a feature. I used to have a LJ when I was 14/15 and it's so funny to have a record of what I was like at that time. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. ah! how do we not know each other? seriously! i too love seven generations (still...i listen to them at the gym all the time)...and im pretty sure i was at those shows...we probably stood next to eachother holding our forearms in front of us to keep the moshing in the pit while getting in some good head bobbing, foot tapping and leg bouncing, along with finger points and sing alongs.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a fabulous idea. I'm going to consider doing the same... off to view now and see if I can survive the embarrassment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love comeback kid, I would have been that excited about that show too. In fact I probably was but the one in san diego when I was working at a venue there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great feature! My old LJ entries are all private because they can be pretty embarrassing. My LJ spans from 2001-present. Talk about a lot of changes! The old ones are particularly amusing since I was still in high school and more prone to drama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, that was seriously fun! LOVED the new feature!
    Haha, it's funny to look back, and remember how melodramatic we were. ;)
    Looking forward for more!
    xoxo,

    Duda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! I LOVED "chasing Amy", "Mall Rats", and any/everything Kevin Smith related! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea. I recently posted some of my livejournal entries (from 2005 - 2009) on my blog. It is such an interestingly awkward feeling sometimes.

    I couldn't imagine laughing at your past livejournal entries.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i still love november by azure ray. :)

    i kept a livejournal from 2002-up until this past year, and i definitely get a good laugh out of reading things i wrote when i was 20. but it's so much fun to look back on!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like this feature best out of all of yours so far! (well, maybe not more than tattoo Tuesday, but close) I remember going to that same Bane/Comeback Kid/With Honor tour in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved this post! Not only do I still update my LJ on a daily basis but I love to look back. I mean I said some ridiculous things but I'm not embarrassed because it's who I was or how i felt at the time. I actually use blurb.com to turn my entries into actual hardcopy journals in case some day I decide to delete my account.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I love this feature! My lj turns ten this month and although I deleted a ton of old entries in 2003, I still have a pretty ridiculous look back at my younger self.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Umm I feel like if I wasn't 13-15 during this time we would have DEFINITELY been friends. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Omg you wear short hair well! So cute! It kinda makes me miss my short hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh WOW LiveJournal... those were the days. I'm almost afraid to look back at mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Aww I absolutely love this 'look back' feature! I've said it before, but the deep, thoughtful posts of yours are my favorite. You write so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bane, Comeback Kid, With Honor!? It’s amazing to hear someone else reference these bands!! I was a fan through affiliation (an ex-long-long-time relationship), but I still rock the With Honor t-shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. i am 32 and I feel like your first entry every day

    'i need to stop procrastinating and putting the smallest things off until they disappear seem to disappear and just get them done. i love my room and it is cluttered and messied and the floor is no longer carpet, but clothes. i have 3 papers due. i have friends to catch up with and a life to live. but yet day after day i sleep in until noon and hide under my covers until anything i don't particularly like passes.'

    maybe when i 'grow up' i will be as awesome as you are right now ♥ hehe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  38. loooove this! love LOVE how you quoted holden.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I absolutely loved reading all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Loved this post! :) When I started looking back I realized what an important month April has been in the last four years of my life. Here is my look back:

    http://heatherlydee.blogspot.com/2011/04/look-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi My name is "Larry" just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my love back and saved my marriage... I was married for 7years with 2kids and we lived happily until things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time... it got worse at a point that she filed for divorce... I tried my best to make her change her mind & stay with me cause i loved her with all my heart and didn't want to loose her but everything just didn't work out... she moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce... I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out... I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice... He did special prayers and used roots and herbs... Within 7 days she called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma she had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our third child... I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news... Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there need's it... You can email me on larryjms49 at gamil dot com to get the spell caster's contact... Don't give up just yet, the different between "Ordinary" & "Extra-Ordinary" is the "Extra" so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship if it's truly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. how I got my love backJuly 30, 2011 at 3:46 AM

    Hi My name is "Larry" just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my love back and saved my marriage... I was married for 7years with 2kids and we lived happily until things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time... it got worse at a point that she filed for divorce... I tried my best to make her change her mind & stay with me cause i loved her with all my heart and didn't want to loose her but everything just didn't work out... she moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce... I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out... I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice... He did special prayers and used roots and herbs... Within 7 days she called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma she had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our third child... I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news... Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there need's it... You can email me on larryjms49 at gmail dot com to get the spell caster's contact... Don't give up just yet, the different between "Ordinary" & "Extra-Ordinary" is the "Extra" so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship if it's truly worth it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips