Sunday, May 1, 2011

8 weeks to a better me: Week One

 8weeks

Hello and happy May! I am so, so excited to kick off a brand new project here on Sometimes Sweet today, called "8 weeks to a better me." The idea of this project started off when I realized how much I loved making smaller, more attainable goals every Sunday night that I would work on for the next seven days. I loved having a fresh start and going into my week with a sense of purpose, and ending it with a sense of accomplishment. I made a post on this a month or so ago, and found that you guys loved it too! I think many of us found that it was easier to set goals that were immediately relevant to day-to-day life, and when I started seeing results from this simple goal setting I was hooked. Since I first made that post, I've continued to make small goals every Sunday night that I keep in my mind throughout the week. I usually will write them down in the notebook I always keep with me, or on a small chalkboard in our kitchen. They can be as simple as "eat more green veggies," "workout five times," or even "blog more about my daily life." Anything. And when I starting grouping my goals into categories, I realized that choosing a category and focusing on it was really beneficial for me, kind of like a "theme for the week."  And even though I was only working on each goal for a week at a time, I found that after that week was up, my good habits carried over.

I thought and thought about how I could translate this idea into a longer-running blog feature, while at the same time keeping it interesting and fresh. I sat down and brainstormed one afternoon about different categories I'd like to include in this project, and "8 weeks to a better me" was born. I contacted 8 inspiring bloggers that really represent each of the 8 topics I chose to include in this project, and now, for the next 8 weeks, we will be hearing from each of them.

So here's how this is going to work, and I encourage you to join in over these next two months:

Each Sunday evening during the months of May and June one of my eight participants will present us with a guest post on their topic. They'll be discussing how and why their topic is relevant to them, and will also be giving us inspiration and motivation to move towards setting goals relevant to the subject matter. For instance, this week's topic is "Blogging Inspiration," so our participants (this week we have a husband and wife duo!) will be sharing what inspires them to blog.

At the end of this and every post, I will be setting three goals for the week that have to do with the subject at hand. So this week I'll be setting three simple goals in relation to blogging.

If you're inspired and interested, I encourage you to join along for this week, or all eight weeks!

Essentially at the end of the 8 weeks, we will have all done a little more, tried some new things, set and achieved goals, and truly become a little better than we were. I'm definitely excited, and I think you guys are really going to enjoy the amazing bloggers I have lined up!

Feel free to use the image above (photo courtesy of my sweet and talented friend Kelly Ann- be sure to check out her blog), and come along on this self-improvement journey over the next 8 weeks!

Our very first contributors for this project are Don and Rachel, who have quickly become not only two of my most favorite blogs, but two of my favorite people and friends. Don is a rarity in this big blogging world, because he is a "daddy-blogger," and a dedicated one at that. His daily posts about his wife Rachel and daughter Adeline melt my heart every single day, and the weekly vlogs he and his family share are absolutely worth watching. Rachel is in most of these videos and I have such adoration for this lovely lady. You can just tell what a beautiful person she is, in and out, and not a day goes by where I don't read something of hers and wish we lived in the same place so we could be mama best friends and spend our days hanging out with our babies!

So, with that said, here's the first week of "8 weeks to a better me"! Be sure to stop by both Don and Rachel's blog and say hello, too. I promise you will fall in love with both of their spaces and maybe even find a new favorite blog (or two!), and while you're at it, be sure to enter Don's handmade giveaway as well! So awesome. Thanks again both of you for being a part of this project! So, here's their "one week to a better us," the first part of 8! Enjoy.

dani

Rachel & Don- that's Us! We are a married duo and we both blog! Yup. We have a wee little one, a precious little honey-honey named Adeline. We live in Upstate, NY in the beautiful Victorian city of Troy surrounded by art, music, adventure and Love. We are so thrilled and humbled that Dani asked us to participate in this feature. We so look forward to seeing what the other participants have to say and share! Thanks Dani!! xo

One week to a Better Collective "Us":

Why do we all blog? Someone who doesn't blog may guess a collective narcissism. But they'd be very wrong, wouldn't they? The truth is I'm interested in the everyday...Your everyday. The everyday of Kate, Becky, Jen, Dani, Joe, Don, Jane Doe, etc... these are people you can relate to or who show you things you've never seen or INSPIRE you. This is the same reason I devoured zines as a younger kid. I loved to read the experience of someone else who is not a celebrity, who's reputation may not precede them, who is finding inspiration in their everyday. Blogging is a way to connect with others in this big world. To offer an "ear" and a "shoulder" and in turn confide our own adventures, fears, hopes and loves. We look for a response and a connection. It's the pen pal letter of the 21st century. And I'm a big fan.

How do you list your inspiration, or, worse yet, narrow it down to 3 items?! We all glean inspiration from infinite passing moments, events, people and tangible items in our lives. Well the two of us thought about this and decided that, for us, there are 3 standout ways we make our lives feel rich and full and these things inspire the feel of our blogs and what we share with others. We'd like to tell you a little more about them:

AD: Adeline's Daddy
LH Local Honey

"The Small Things"

AD: I never had a time in my life that I kept a journal, my blog has become what I would imagine a journal is like. When you are writing a post daily, you realize that there isn't a life changing earth shaking event each and every day. But, when I make it a point to have a post up most days, I actually end up not searching for things to write about, but enjoying what life is and taking time to notice THE SMALL THINGS. If I didn't have my blog there may be a possibility that these things would go by quickly without a second thought, but taking things as inspiration, I write them down. Reflecting on that sliver in time can make you realize how important the small things can be. And of course, this is amplified when you bring in the fact that Rachel and I have had our first child, Adeline, for six months now. She is a part of my every day, and every second. Once I found out that I was going to be a Dad, I made it my goal to not miss a thing in her life, not even the small things... I write them down, and someday she will be able to read about the first time she held a flower (see video).

LH: The small things. Not the post that makes everyone jealous or makes you look cool. It's the moment you stopped thinking ahead and just enjoyed what was at hand. The moment you allowed to just happen. The birds you watched pass overhead, the song you closed your eyes to, the people you see walking by saying "I love you" to each other. Walking the city and just letting the day happen.

"Support Local"

AD: It has been a big thing for us to be mindful of where our money goes. So, on our blogs we like to talk about businesses in our city. One local organization here called Local First has a slogan "Buy local when you can, support your neighbor, not the man"... whoa, Being part of an underground community since I was younger (a music scene, not a cult or a creepy thing), there's nothing better than sticking it to "the man"... man. I don't think people think about these things, but there is a reason that everyone is raging about jobs, "the man" has found someone to do it cheaper than you would, and in the process has put Carl's General Store out of business.

LH: Wouldn't it be cool if that awesome clothing boutique was down the street instead of in the next town in the strip mall?!? Supporting your local small businesses helps to build a stronger local economy leading to MORE local businesses, shops and FUN. We know all of our local shop owners by name and they have all: stayed open late for us, opened especially for us on a holiday, given us a discount, hand delivered merchandise to our house that we mistakenly left at the shop. When is the last time Walmart did any of that for you?!? We LOVE reading about your local businesses. It gives a feel for what your corner of the world is like.

"Love Your Community"

LH: Get involved! This doesn't have to be boring. I love fashion and I love art and creativity. So...Four years ago I started an Indie Craft Market in my city. Our summer season starts again in the beginning of June and I can't wait to see all of the friends I've made. Our little family visits our Farmers Market every weekend and we see all of our neighbors and farmers and enjoy delicious fresh foods. Visit your community art center, galleries, bike rescues, music venues, workshops, farms, parks etc. Just make a small effort and the rewards are huge and inspiring!


AD: I absolutely love our little city. It may be a Victorian city, turned industrial mecca, turned wasteland, only in the last 10 years again becoming a beauty. We've only lived here for around 5 years, and this place inspires me.

In the spirit of sharing, this video is a small look at a day in our little life. We can't wait to take a peek into your life as well. :)

Rachel  &  Don





So now, here are my three blogging goals for the week:

1) Blog about one local restaurant that I love.
2) Take my camera out more than I already do to capture more day to day moments.
3) Finish the guest posts that are on my plate.

How about you? Like I said above, I'd love it if you'd participate in this project over the next 8 weeks. Feel free to grab the feature image at the top of this post and the "blogging" and/or "3 goals" images for your own blog, and share your goals every week too- and be sure to link your posts in the comments so we can all check them out. I'm really looking forward to reading all of your goals! New posts will go up at 4pm Arizona time each Sunday for the next 2 months. Thanks again for reading- I so appreciate each and every one of you!

p.s. how ADORABLE was Don and Rachel's video?! Love them.

62 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea Dani! I'll be sure to link back tonight when I come up with my 3 goals for the week- and comment again, so that everyone can read them... and hopefully stick me to 'em too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i love lists and i think this is going to be really, really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an incredible idea. I am definitely going to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea Danielle! For the next week I'm going to try to blog more about my everyday life, and maybe I'll search out a local (in Sydney) shop to highlight... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! And I love Rachel and Don's goals and thoughts. A lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! I really do need to start setting goals now that I only have 2 months left of highschool. (Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There! I rattled one off- I'm so excited about this! What a great idea- a great great great one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this idea! looking forward to the next 8 weeks =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got done with mine... you can check it out here: http://porcelainheartivorytooth.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Danielle, I am already loving this feauture. So inspiring!! I love making lists and I am happily making them along with you each week!
    Also, They are the cutest. Such a precious little family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic!
    The idea of becoming a better person has been all over the blog lately! The post you wrote before and you linked to about, was an inspiration for me to start a new project too! It's called the 5 Chances Challenge, you can check it out on my blog if you're interested!

    I can't wait to see all the topics on here and good luck to you with becoming a better you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing idea this is! So inspiring! Can't wait to participate and see the other seven weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea and project! And wonderful guests!

    You can find my post here: http://emilyinprogress.com/2011/05/01/8-weeks-to-a-better-me/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it & I'm so in! already done my first post!
    http://sweetrustic.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-1-blogging.html

    Thanks for sharing this fab meme with us
    xo Katie of Sweet Rustic

    ReplyDelete
  15. After just having set up my new domain, and getting my husband hooked on blogging, I'm so stoked for this feature! Gonna go post my goals for the week right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea Danielle, thanks for sharing it with us! Here is the link to my first set of goals:
    http://thecrunchylion.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-v1.html

    Looking forward to this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's mine! ^_^ I'm so excited about this!
    http://goldfinchanchor.com/2011/05/introducing-8-weeks-to-a-better-me-week-1/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I like how organized you are and getting input from other bloggers is a nice way to inspire yourself and us. Thank you for highlighting this couple, I loved what they had to say about the reasons behind blogging as well as supporting local community. I am a list maker goal setter too so I will definitely partake in this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea! I just finished writing up my post and added three personal goals as well that I keep telling myself I will accomplish.

    http://heartshapedleaves.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love this idea! here's my post on it:
    http://designedbydiana.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun! Definitely going to participate.

    http://typed-for-miles.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this feature so much already! and what an adorable little family. totally melted my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely idea of a blog feature. Definitely looking forward to the next 8 weeks of this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am totally participating! I have my goals up right now! - http://www.shelbyloudelong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a fab idea. I am so participating!

    I've already completed one blogging goal: share a playlist.
    http://wrongdecade.net/2011/05/1757

    Can't wait for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this and I love your goals! :D ♥

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this Danielle! Such a brilliant idea!

    I have decided to join in too - here's my first post
    xo

    http://princess-sputnik.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this great idea!

    Here are my goals for this week:
    http://subterraneanmuse.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/1087/

    ReplyDelete
  29. okay, so i left a comment already, but am back to say that i loved this so much i am totally doing it and i posted about it. come check it out if interested.

    http://www.sixcherriesontop.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-1-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think this is a wonderful idea! I could definitely use some room for improvement. Thanks for being so inspiring. <3kat

    ReplyDelete
  31. yeay!

    I was thinking about starting something exactly like this today. I'm so glad you were a step ahead of me and started this great project. I think it'll help me keep encouraged through it all.

    You should make a little blog button so we can add it on to our own blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay... I came up with my 3 goals and posted them here!

    http://thefarmily.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one-from.html

    Thanks again for the motivation!
    -D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this idea! I'm taking part in my own slightly unmotivated way: http://amongthechimneypots.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/8-weeks-blogging/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it!! I was directed to your blog from Adeline's Daddy blog and saw your idea. I am definitely going to do this... thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. 8 weeks to a better me is such a fun idea! I love how much planning you put into it too :) I may try and join in on this, maybe next week?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this idea! Actually, I love all of your ideas.

    I just completed mine:
    http://amandacaitlin.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic idea.

    And, I love what these folks have to say about buying local-it's SO important.

    XO
    Carly

    All This Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. i lovelovelove this idea! i cant wait to see what else you share with us!
    -kel

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is great! I need some structure to get me to blog more and I think this will help!

    week one - http://www.rhiannabrooke.com/2011/05/8-weeks-week-one-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this! And I'm definitely in! I'm a short goal list kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've been doing my New Year's Resolutions in 30 day increments. So, in the winter, it was "30 days without soda". Now, it's "30 days without meat". This summer, it'll be "30 days of hiking". It helps me accomplish them and keeps the accomplishments part of my lifestyle.

    I'm going to consider this project. I've been keeping a food diary, so I can definitely do that for eight weeks. Maybe I'll keep an activity diary as well. I'll link up whatever I do.

    shortgirlphoto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ok, so just started mine last night...you can see it here.

    http://zencocktail.typepad.com/zen-cocktail/2011/05/8-weeks-to-a-better-me-series.html

    I am so excited about this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great idea. I'm loving it. Set my goals up today!

    http://thebisforbecky.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is such a fun idea! And what a lovely family to feature, I really enjoyed checking out their sites!
    Below is a link to my list.
    Can't wait to get started!

    http://fromtinawithlove.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weekes-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  46. Brilliant idea Dani. You have my support!

    ReplyDelete
  47. OK, I'm in. ;)
    New here! Hello to you!
    http://katrinalynninspired.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is such a wonderful series and I'm very excited to take part in it. I love your first contributors. They are such sweet and amazing people.

    Here's a link to my first post, thank again for starting this series!

    http://justlittleash.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm in, all the way from Alaska! So excited! Thanks for inspiring me once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh, I forgot to say I love the video! What a beautiful family!

    www.nancy-inalaska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. EEK! I read this blog post a little late, so my blog response is even later! I love group projects, and this one is bound to have positive results!

    My blogging goals are at:

    http://thejunkrevival.blogspot.com/2011/05/group-project-8-weeks-to-better-me-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  52. Excellent project! I really enjoyed reading Rachel & Don's ideas and peaking in at their blogs. Thanks for this little boost of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm so excited about this! I'm way late with my post but here is a link to my goals for the week. xo

    http://wearethefishers.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-you-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  54. Better late than never right?

    Thanks for the motivation!

    http://themamasparrow.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  55. Well...more than a little late, but I think I'm going to participate!

    Thanks for putting this together!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow, I wish I had found this sooner :] Not only is this a great idea, but your blog is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi there friends, its wonderful piece of writing on the topic of tutoringand
    fully defined, keep it up all the time.

    Feel free to visit my weblog - Abercrombie Et Fitch

    ReplyDelete
  58. I may be way late to this but it's still a great idea!

    - Jooley @ http://opiumtwin.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips