Name and blog name: Tacha // decoratedskin.tumblr.com
Occupation: shop manager at a bakery store, and mother ;)
Age of first tattoo: 15
Favorite tattoo: Difficult to answer as I love most of them very much! I'd say the newer ones are always the favorites so my legs!
Featured tattoo/location: Both shins, a papa deer on the right saying 'Father knows best', and a mama owl on left saying 'mother knows better'.
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Guen Douglas, 25 to life tattoo at Rotterdam!
1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?
To be honest I don't really believe that every single tattoo must have a grand meaning behind it! Most of my tattoos I pretty much get for the love of the art. I wanted a deer and an owl for a while, but wanted to make it different and fun. I love everything vintage and 'old' so they had to be very grandparent-y (that's not a real word I know). They sort of represent my mom and dad, but with a humorous twist! They are still in progress, finishing in august! I have the world's shortest and chubbiest legs, but these pieces of art on them make me love my little legs so much more! Getting your shins done isn't an easy thing though, easily the most painful tattoos I have. May I just use this opportunity to let the world know how great Guen Douglas is! Seriously worth a visit when you're in Holland!
2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?
I'll list them chronologically:
- 'Dushi' on my loin, was a nickname when I was 15, done by a scratcher! Only tattoo I really regret, luckily it's tiny and never visible ;) On my list to get covered.
- Bows on my shoulders, no meaning to them, just love bows.
- 'Mama' on my left wrist, 'B*J' on the right one. I say B*J stands for Ben&Jerry's when people ask but they actually are the initials of my doggies!
- Cherry blossoms piece on my left side, no meaning, just pretty. It got stretched out a bit during my pregnancy, need to retouch it and possibly add to it in the future.
- Old school upper back piece with 2 swallows and a heart in the middle (saying 'Nona' for my daughter).
- 'Full' left sleeve, all though some won't call it a sleeve as there is still some blank skin visible. Still not finished, there will be some more extra little things added in the future. It has a pin up girl, a pocket watch, heart locket & key, anchor, rose, gramophone, swan in a frame, a bow, and a little fan.
- Lady Like piece on my right lower arm. It's a vintage tea-dress with awesome details <3
- My shin pieces.
credit: Left arm: Candy Cane/Eva Dekkers (Weert); Back and shoulders: Spitfire (Antwerp); Side piece: Tony Magic Cherry's (Eindhoven)
3) Do you plan on getting more?
Yes ma'am! After my legs and left arm is done I'll start on my right arm. Then my feet, and so on. I plan to be quite covered, I'm still full of ideas! If I'd ever win the lottery I would also get my hands done, I love hand tattoos! But it's too hard to get a job so I can't right now.. Also still debating wether to go for a chest piece or not. I adore chest pieces, but they are always visible, and sometimes I like to cover my tattoos up when I don't feel like getting the attention. If I would ever get a chest piece it will probably be simple roses, maybe with a cameo in the middle :)
4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?
My family is pretty much used to them, especially my brothers and sisters, they all have some tattoos and all want more :) My mom loves them but she does says she never ever thought I would get so many! My father doesn't like them and says I'll regret them. My partner has not a single tattoo yet! People often think that's weird, they sorta expect me to have a tough-looking fully tattooed hubbie ;) He does love them on me, and he's planning his first real soon!
So far I have not gotten any negative remarks from strangers, but boy do I get looks/stares! I work in a bakery store and luckily I don't need to cover them up, so when I'm wearing a dress (which is often) people see my tattoos. But no one has ever made a bad comment, I do get quite some questions about them: where I got them done, did they hurt, etc etc. When I'm walking on the street I get many, many stares. Some people even stop and turn around to look. I really need to get used to that attention, as I'm a shy person ;)
I guess most people still think tattooed ladies are all "bad girls", wearing biker clothes and looking mean, they are not used to a girl who's very lady like and has a lot of tattoos ;) I can't wait till Nona goes to school, it will be interesting seeing the looks on the other mom's faces when I drop her off!
5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?
The basics I guess! Find a great artist, look around, don't just settle for the first one you find! Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good! Think good about what you want, altough I think impulsive tattoos can be fun too (if done by a good artist)! I'm just saying there's no need to think about an idea for years and years (trust me, I know such people) and to keep on talking about it but never getting it done. You only live once!
Take good care of your tattoos, avoid sunshine if you can, I'm pale as a ghost but my tattoos are nice and bright! Don't worry too much about what it will look like when you're 70. I mean really, you will have other things on your mind by then ;). Be original! Do not copy someones custom design, it is really rude and disrespectful. I've had my lady like piece copied, and both the artist as myself were very offended by it. If a piece is custom made, it's usually personal and meaningful. You wouldn't copy someone's tattoo if it were a portrait of her grandma, would you?
I'll end with a pet peeve of mine: Do not get your hands or neck done as your very first tattoo! I'm seeing it way too much lately, 18 year olds getting their necks done? Think about it! Anyway, hope this was helpful in a way, and be sure to ask my questions on my tumblr if you have any!