Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Guest Post: Chelsey from The Paper Mama


Hello Sometimes Sweet readers! I was so very happy (and flattered) when Danielle asked if I'd like to write a guest post while she's off on a little vacation. Of course I'd do it! I'd love to.

If you've ever wandered over to my blog you may have seen a few of my hair tutorials. I'm no hair stylist (that's for sure)... BUT, I do love pretty hair, and WANT pretty hair! That's why I experiment. I see a cute hairstyle... and I have to try it! So, today I'm going to share my Sock Bun hair experiment... It's pretty dang easy and turns out pretty darn cute! I originally found this tutorial while wondering around Pinterest... the original tutorial comes from here.

My hair is naturally VERY straight and pretty thin, so getting a nice thick bun is a bit of a challenge. My buns are always so tiny (hee). My hair also has a mind of it's own. It knows it's super straight and it likes to stay that way. It always sneaks out of hair ties and pins. Naughty.

What you'll need:
- Two hair ties
- Many bobby pins
- 1 sock you don't care cutting up (yes, a sock).
- Scissors
- Hair spray

First: Take the sock you have chosen to sacrifice for this hairstyle and cut off the toe end (I promise the sock wont feel a thing). I recommend a clean sock (;D) and maybe a sock color that is similar to your hair... I went with white and noticed parts of the sock peaking through at the end. Roll your sock into itself so it sort of looks like a tasty sock doughnut.

Second: Using one of your hair ties... pull your hair back into a ponytail. I made a side ponytail.... wherever you place your pony is where the bun will be. Choose wisely. ;)

Third: Take your sock doughnut creation and pull your ponytail through the hole.

Fourth: Evenly pull your ponytail up and around the entire sock doughnut towards your head. This should cover the sock.

Fifth: Put your second hair tie over the doughnut and your hair.

Sixth: Pin the excess hair around the hair tie... and, use hair spray if you need it. I certainly did. I used MANY bobby pins and hairspray.

Seventh: Have a glass of wine because there's an old sock in your hair! Ha! Those were in the original directions. :) It may be the most important step.

And, that's it! I always ask my readers to let me know if they try my hairstyle... I love to see if it works for them too! Happy hair styling! And, thank you Danielle for inviting me into your cozy and sweet bloggy home.

19 comments:

  1. very cute, im gonna have to try this!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tutorials! I did the "no heat curl you recommended a while back and loved the results! I wear my hair almost every day like that now! You can check it out here

    Thanks for another awesome tutorial!

    XXXX
    -Morgan (Born of the Sea) <---my little blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sock bun, its so awesome for my thin hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute. I will try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are the most brilliant ideas so darn simple??

    Thanks for this!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea! I have thick hair but this might be a way to keep my hair in place when I do a bun. Thanks!

    XOXO,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha, the sock bun is such a neat little trick; we learned that during Basic Training because our hair had to be perfect or we'd be doing pushups!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was seriously so simple! I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute, as are YOU, as are your words. Hahahaha...I do this look, sans sock. Cute look. Talk about stank head. Kidding...well, if you use a USED sock, well then....I would not be kidding. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is too cute! (And too easy!) Thanks so much for sharing, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew I grew my hair out for a reason. =) Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute. I like this. Who knew a sock would be handy for a hairstyle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. adorable blog my dear.i am in love. now following. hope you'll take a minute to look at my blog & follow if you'd like.

    love m.
    acupofm.blogspot.com
    keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you know how much fun I'd have telling people I have a secret sock in my hair!! I have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They actually sell donuts you can buy at Sally's Beauty Supply that do the same thing, I use them when I do up-do's. But this, this is cheap and genious! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've done this before :) It works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister used to do this to our hair ALL the time growing up! We also had 'sock rollers' that we'd use instead of hot rollers. You basically ties cut up socks and make smallish type buns in your wet hair, sleep in it, and it the morning your hair is all crazy. I've missed doing it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips