Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dinner idea: Potato Tacos


Here's a very easy dinner idea that's vegetarian (vegan if you omit the cheese and Greek yogurt), healthy, and delicious!

You'll need:

2 medium potatoes (sweet potatoes would be great as well!)
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 jalapeno
1 clove of garlic (minced)
can of black beans
can of corn
red pepper flakes
sea salt
cumin
and any other types of spices you like - even taco seasoning could be substituted for all of this- Trader Joe's has a delicious mix available!
corn tortillas (I prefer Ezekial brand)
fresh cilantro
tomatoes
lime
cheese
and the MOST important part - plain, non-fat, Greek Yogurt (more on this later)

 1. Chop all your veggies (peel the potatoes) and throw them into a big bowl.


2. Add in the black beans, corn, and all the spices and mix. Now, when we cook we don't always follow a recipe and when it comes to spice we are heavy handed...so just add spice to suit your taste!


3. Heat up a little oil in a pan and throw everything in there. Cook on medium heat until the potatoes get a nice, golden crisp to them.  If you want to get fancy you can cook the onions and garlic first with the spices. That's what Hank usually does but see that glass pan in the photo above? We initially tried to bake this concoction in that, but found it didn't work, so we switched the pan, which was great! But because of that little hiccup we weren't able to brown the onions, etc. Either way must work though because the end result was delicious!


3. Then, make your tacos pretty with all of the other stuff! Cilantro, lime, tomatoes, whatever floats your boat.  And let me continue my little plug about non-fat Greek yogurt. It is the BEST substitute for sour cream, ever.  Hank even prefers it.  You get great health benefits, no fat, and it tastes so good. And once you go this way, you'll start to want to put it on and in everything! Dips, dressings, icing...the list goes on.

Happy potato-taco-ing!
 

34 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy and I never would have thought to use potatoes!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was just lamenting the fact that i don't know how to make most of my fave mexican recipes vegetarian (i'm a new vegetarian) so this post is perfectly timed for me! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever made a cookbook I would seriously buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use Greek yoghurt instead of butter in cupcakes. The texture is slightly different (more spongy), but they are still oh-so-delicious! If we're making cakes for other people (and want them to have a more 'normal' texture) we use a tablespoon of olive oil for each ounce of butter. Healthier, and no one can tell the difference. Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum this sounds great! I've only ever used flavored greek yogurt on granola, but i definitely want to try this :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks delicious... and so easy! i can't believe i've never even thought to do it. I bet it would be tasty with sweet potatoes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks absolutely delicious! I'm making it for dinner today:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds incredibly delicious and I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude! I am totally making this tonight!
    Those look scrumptious and my mind is blown on the whole yogurt detail..haha.

    http://katiediditt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks - this looks so good! I've been looking for some new vegetarian recipes.

    http://noahbabyblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wish i could teleport them from your kitchen to mine, they look delicious! (i guess i could just use the recipe, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMmm! Looks so delicious.
    I want to start cooking much more in the near future, maybe this will be on my bucket list?

    www.jessicakutok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks sooo good, I'll definitely try this one out. I've been making lots of squash/zucchini tacos this summer, really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll definitely have to try this recipe. I love substituting greek yogurt for sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'll try this tonight! I love that you love greek yogurt, so does my family. I make a potato salad using it that is really unique and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the inspiration! made it different but the black beans were a good addition. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so excited about this recipe! I was planning my menu for next week when I read your post. Now I have something new to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks delish! I've been using Greek Yogurt as sour cream too...it's really good as french onion dip..just mix in a packet of French Onion soup mix. I just did a Tortilla Soup recipe for the crock pot if you wanna check it!

    http://nittygrittymom.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-make-crock-pot-chicken-tortilla.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another way I like to make tacos vegetarian friendly is to use lentils! brown them and season them the same way you would hamburger meat. The texture is even the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! I saw the IG pic you posted of this and SO glad you shared the recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an interesting idea! Love these and really want to try to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep it's official I HAVE to make these! Such a fantastic idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so delicious! I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yum. I just recently had potato quesadilla and have been trying to perfect it at home. They were super good and healthy.

    Kacie
    http://www.acollectionofpassions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. i concur about greek yogurt being a great sour cream substitute! i also use it in tuna &eggsalad instead of mayo, &even made oil-free hummus with it. greek yogurt is a wonderful thing!

    xoxo nicole

    ps. i'm dying to make sweet potato &black bean enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a yummy recipe! I just love Mexican... I use Greek yogurt as the mixer in tuna salad, instead of Miracle Whip/Mayo. It's just as good as the original! I like GY as a replacement for sour cream, too.

    Alison :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made these last night, and holy delicious! They were so good, I even blogged about it!

    http://brockpaperscissors.blogspot.com/2011/08/last-nights-dinner-potato-tacos.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had to comment! ...I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to try it tonight and the tacos turned out delicious!! Thank you for your recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips