Friday, September 2, 2011

Today and tomorrow: an accidental letter

henryandmama

Hi and hello!  How are you doing? I'm not really sure why I started this post like a letter, but I'm just going to go with it. So, consider this a letter to a friend, from a friend! ha. :) I sure hope you are in fact doing well, having a great day, and have an upcoming three-day weekend full of fun to look forward to. Aren't Fridays the best? When I was a teacher we had half days every Wednesday so it broke up the week so perfectly. By the time you got that mini-day mid-week it felt like the week was almost over and work flew on by. Now that I stay home, the days all feel the same if I don't plan things to break it up.  Right now we have a little routine going with storytime at the library and standing playdates with mama friends, but it's still hard to know what day is what.  But of all the days, I love the library time most of all, because it reminds me a lot of my own Mom and the fun afternoons we'd spend looking through books.  You know that quote- "Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." I feel like that couldn't be more true.

And on the subject of books, I've finally gotten around to reading Divergent, thanks to two Laurens in my life (my sister and Ms. Busy Bee!).  I love it so far and it's definitely in the vein of The Hunger Games, so if you like that series, check it out. Granted, I'm only about a quarter done, but I can tell I'm going to love it.

In other news (bad, bad news)...I have a consultation today for my wisdom teeth. Funny story- Hank got his wisdom teeth out a few months ago, and I think I may have said annoying things like, "ahh I feel bad for you, I love that I don't have any wisdom teeth!" Yup. I was under the impression that I had no wisdom teeth and then proceeded to kind of rub that into my ailing husband's swollen face. ;) How I thought that was the case, I really don't know. But a couple weeks ago when I was getting my teeth cleaned, I mentioned how relieved I felt that I didn't have any, and my hygienist came back with "Really? I don't think you're right, let me look in your file." So to make a long story short, apparently a teeth cleaning that happened way back in May 2008 (the week of our wedding) had produced a slip of paper to go see the doctor about my wisdom teeth, which do in fact, exist.  In the craziness of that week it totally slipped my mind and apparently disappeared all together.  So, bringing us back to the current sad state of my impacted wisdom teeth, they must come out, and today I'll find out when. I shudder at the thought.

But in better, non-terrible-teeth news, there are few things I'm really excited about this month:

the "anniversary" of Hank and my first date. It's been seven years now and we still celebrate this special little day. Maybe silly, but I love it.

Sarah and Andy get married in just a few weeks and I'm so excited to stand up as her Matron of Honor. It's going to be such a beautiful night.

a girl's trip to Vegas I'm taking at the end of the month. I'm going with my friend Anita, and meeting up with a bunch of other fun ladies, some of which you may know from around the blogging world.

I'll be back later with some links, so until then have a great Friday.  And since this is a letter I'll end it like one -

Love you, and talk to you soon!

Danielle

32 comments:

  1. You should write letters to your readers more often, I felt like I got a glimpse inside your life more than usual - and I loved it!
    Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a lot of funny things to do!!
    hope you have a great day, i'm going to work right now!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet letter. And I love those pictures- Henry has the cutest little nose! :)

    Samantha
    http://theadventuresoftwosams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw, i love the little letters! so sorry about your wisdom teeth! did you have braces? it's really not that bad....the first day is the worst!

    http://pleasebreatheandhush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had my wisdom teeth out and I actually successfully managed to eat a massive slab of cake immediately after even though they said I wouldn't be able to eat. Can't keep a girl from her cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Love the accidental letter and those photos, what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Danielle,
    Good to hear from you! That sucks about your wisdom teeth, but you have totally had a baby, you are a tough bean and will get through it no probs.
    Have a great weekend,
    Jess
    PS. Your baby's tummy is the cutest.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely letter :) I always brag about my wisdom teeth too - the dentist told me that mine don't really affect my teeth much so we can leave them alone, but that probably won't be the case forever. My husband's wisdom tooth once got really infected and he was in utter agony...he was bashing his head against the headboard all night and told me that it hurt worse than being shot (which happened to him in Iraq). Luckily we found a nonprofit dentist w/ a sliding fee scale (the VA wouldn't cover Rob's dental care and he has no other insurance), but they only cleared up the infection...he still has the teeth. Nasty things, wisdom teeth, so I'm glad you're getting them out!

    Also sounds like you're going to have a great month :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo I loved the hunger games aaand it's on kindle, eeeexceeellent :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like you were a great teacher and someone your students respected :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw, too bad the portuguese version of divergent hasn't come out yet, but i'll keep it in my "to read" list, since i loved the Hunger Games

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wisdom teeth. Ugh! I had mine extracted when I was 16. Thankfully, I hardly remember anything about the experience except for the dentist having to give me more drugs than usual to knock me out followed by me sleeping after the whole procedure. Lots & lots of sleeping!

    I hope your wisdom teeth removal goes swimmingly and that they don't take too much wisdom along with them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the letter format!
    and I will be looking into divergent now! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your readers quote. I would love to see what you local library looks like on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Letter style = niiiice. i like! :)

    wisdom teeth = BOOOO! I don't like! BUT I got all mine out at once as well (impacted) and so much better than multiple trips. I dont know why someone WOULDNT just do it all at once.

    PS - yay for fun things in September :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i loved this little post! I think it is so cute you and hank still celebrate your first date! It is little things like that I think keep things alive! I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled as well :( I have known since before my wedding in 2008 haha, but have been putting it off. best of luck to you! and you and henry look too cute in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you guys celebrate your first date. My boy and I don't have an official first date or even an official start to dating, so I just picked a date I thought he could remember for us to celebrate every year :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i absolutely adore Henry's little scrunch of the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear friend,

    Oh no! I hope you don't have to get your wisdom teeth out. That's the worst!

    Love,
    Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Noooo wisdom teeth!! I hope your husband goes easy on you if you need them out ;) I am sooo hoping I don't have to do the same thing some day...

    ReplyDelete
  22. mine are impacted and I need them out too :( scary

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the letter style! also i just finished the hunger games books and they are SO good1 you will definately love them! also if you havent already seen the movie you should read the help! such an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. <3<3

    I'm sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth! I did have to laugh a litte bit about you rubbing it in so much to Hank. haha. Those pictures of you and Henry are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love that you celebrate the anniversary of your first date. i'm the same way--first date, first kiss, first this first that. i think one of the secrets to keeping a relationship fresh and fun might just be celebrating it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i had my wisdom teeth out when i was in my early teens and it was fine. you'll be okay =] it's not too bad as long as you don't use a straw and as long as you listen to your body when it tells you you're in pain.

    i started reading divergent but i felt like it was too similar to the hunger games. i've heard really good things about it, and maybe i just started tried to read them too close together.

    it's adorable you still celebrate your first date. my husband and i met through a mutual friend while playing putt-putt golf. which we did tonight. for old time's sake. haha

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eeeep! I'm so excited that you mentioned Divergent- the author Veronica is my agent sister!

    I've noticed that you've mentioned or reviewed some great YA books on your blog. If you're ever in search of more, let me know what genres you like and I'll rec a whole bunch of terrific books.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. My husband and I still celebrate our first date anniversary too! We just had ours two days ago. It has been 5 years for us. I think it's such sweet thing to remember and I'm glad to see other people do it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. eek, I remember getting my wisdom teeth pulled out. Painful, but you'll get through it! And congrats on your first date anniversary! That's so cute that you celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. that is sweet that you still celebrate the first date!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My husband and I got married on our 'dating' anniversary so it was like a two in one!

    tasteslikelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ah, yes, knowing that your wisdom teeth has to be removed is never fun news. Of course, it would be best to do before your teeth start hurting. Not being able to chew can be pretty troublesome. Still, I hope your trip to the dentist is a success!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips