Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Finding your place- tips for new bloggers.

 

I get emails almost everyday asking for tips on blogging, how to start blogging, ways to grow readership, etc., so I thought I would take a few of these questions and post about them every so often.

The first thing you need to know about me and this blog is that I never, ever intended for it to grow as it did. I started out with four or five readers just a few years ago, and it just grew and grew as I invested more time into it.  By nature I am a writer; most of my readers know this, but my undergrad degree was in English Literature and my Master's is in English Education. I taught high school English for close to six years before stepping away to become a full-time stay at home Mom, but even so, reading and writing are still a huge part of my life and I end each day doing one or the other.

For me, my blog is my creative outlet. I enjoy having a space to write in everyday, and the fact that people want to read it is just a really fun bonus. As time has gone on of course having readers changes the shape of blogging a little- if this blog really was just for me I definitely wouldn't have giveaways or link posts- but they're fun. And giveaways are my way of saying "thank you" to my readers and offer them a chance to win something awesome that I've either used before or can totally endorse.

But when it comes down to it, this blog is still about me. I post about my life, stories from my past and present, hopes for my future, things I love, etc. I try and stay true to that. It's hard to not get caught up in the competition aspect of blogging; so-and-so has this many more hits a month, this many readers, so on and so forth. But the moment I feel that way I yank myself right out of that mentality because at the root of it, it's ridiculous. How on earth could I compare my blog to someone else's? This is about my life and that's where it is unique. I am me, and you are you. Comparing it to another is like apples and oranges (see my post on "blog-petition" here). So I step back, I remind myself of my reasons for doing this, and get back to the basics.  I want to enjoy this space and feel like I am creating something tangible from all of our little moments, putting something out there, and using my brain on a daily basis. I don't want this to be a negative place by my own creation.

It's taken me a few years to get to this point though. And I still get those feelings every so often of not measuring up. Although I'm still not sure who or what exactly I'm measuring up to- I think at times in anything creative it's possible construct this ruler in our minds that we hold ourselves to. It's silly though, because if you're blogging for you, the rest of it should just fall to the side. Luckily now I know that this disenchantment I feel is only a passing mood and if I just get back to what's important and take some time to work on a personal post or something from my heart...I feel a-okay. Because like I said above, that's the reason I do this.

With all of that said, here are a few tips for new bloggers. I'm by no means an expert, but I think some of you may find this helpful and at the lease it's a good reminder for myself!

1. Blog to blog.

Such simple advice but so important.  When people ask me how to "grow" their blog, I usually don't know what to tell them outside of this. I feel like when you start a blog and try and gain readers and followers and what ever else, that is so obvious to other people. And don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for doing that...but to me, that isn't considered a blog, it's considered a business. In my case, my blog became a business in a way when I started accepting sponsors, but that was only after I had many readers, and at the root of it I am still doing what I love 100%. The sponsors are an added bonus and make me feel so lucky every day that I am able to make money doing what I love. I do believe that if I would have gone into this trying to get to the point of having ads, trying to make money...I would have failed. But instead it took me a few years, writing and writing everyday, meeting other people, putting myself out there...and it happened very naturally.  I blogged to blog. So that is my best advice to new bloggers. Just keep doing what you're doing, and keep your purpose at the front of your mind, be it a creative outlet, meeting new people, or finding a community you feel a part of.

2. Don't get discouraged.

This follows along with number one. So great, you're blogging to blog. But no one's reading it. You feel like you're putting yourself out there, creating these awesome posts, but all you hear are crickets. Oh gosh. Let me tell you- I know how rough it can feel to try at something (and try and try again) and to feel like you're just staying in the same place.  And in blogging I think it's so much easier to be really aware of this because it's simple to look and see a lack of comments or numbers or readers. But seriously, do not give up if it's something you really love doing. None of that stuff is important and everyone has to start somewhere. When you feel discouraged, remember that there is always at least one person who is reading what you have to say, valuing you, and enjoying it. The more you interact with others, the more you will be able to meet people who "get" you, and get what your blog is all about. And if you are just blogging to blog, that will radiate out. Like attracts like, so if you put it out there, you're bound to meet others on the same wavelength.

3. Find your place.

Everyone has something they love, something they excel at, something that makes them really happy. The best part about blogging is that you are able to put it out into the world and make friends with like-minded folks. There are all sorts of blogs from fashion to lifestyle to mommy blogs, cooking blogs to religion-based blogs.  And this isn't to say that you need to choose an identity and stick to it, in a blogging-tunnel vision sort of way. By "finding your place" I mean finding what works for you.  Sometimes Sweet is considered a lifestyle blog, and I like that, because I like to post about anything and everything that I want. I've tried out all sorts of posts, and when I feel like I'm most me is through posts like this, my Journal Day posts, or my random posts about my day.  I feel proud of the posts where I've written something I can stand behind. Posts I hate doing? Fashion posts, outfit posts, etc. I tried (and tried again) to get into them, but I feel no joy putting on an outfit and taking photos of it. For some people, this is what makes them happy and it's totally a part of what makes their blog theirs'. But for me, no. Figuring this out was an important part of figuring out my blog's identity. I tried for awhile to get into it, accepted clothing from companies and sponsors, but found myself getting incredibly stressed out and pressured to blog about these items. I felt like it wasn't me. This past year I stopped doing things I didn't enjoy or felt that pressure to do. I took a long look at my blog and decided what direction I wanted it to go into, and then did that. For me that means things like Journal Day, more daily posts, and enjoying going out and taking quality photos when I can. If you are having trouble figuring it out what exactly you want out of your blog, try giving yourself a schedule, and try out all different types of posts. Maybe Monday do a music post, Tuesday, inspiration. Wednesday an outfit post, Thursday talk about something important to you. So on and so forth. By the end of a couple of weeks you will have figured out what works for you, and what doesn't. Or maybe it ALL works for you, which would be awesome too.

Overall, remember that whenever you are creating something original and putting it out into the world it is truly perfect, because you created it. And when you are being your 100% true, authentic self, nothing is more attractive. I promise that if you keep doing what you're doing, eventually you will find yourself surrounded by like-minded people.

But one last thought before I go...and this one is the most important of ALL...

4. Remember that a blog is just that, a BLOG.

It's so easy to get sucked into this crazy, social media-fueled internet world. If you wanted to you could spend hours reading blogs, commenting, writing, going back and forth, clicking and clicking and clicking on link after link. Things might start to seem more important than they are, you might get caught up in feeling sad about comments or numbers or readers, like I mentioned above. But guess what? Real life out there, that's what's important. All of this stuff is actually really silly. And that's not to downplay everything I said up there, because hello, I LOVE blogging and it does hold importance in my life. But to me, this space here is supposed to be a little supplement to my world. An add-on. Something that brings me joy, a hobby, a way to put a little bit of my creativity out there. So if you feel crappy more than happy (total unintentional rhyme) about this whole thing, than take a step back and ask yourself why it really matters anyway. Because it doesn't.

Happy blogging! xo

93 comments:

  1. Wow. I love this post. So helpful. I'm a new blogger and still learning. I love it so far. Thanks so much for your helpful words. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Applause!! Perfect timing on this post: this is a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately. I definitely blog just to blog, because (like you) I enjoy the heck out of it. Sometimes, it does feel like crickets are all I get. And yes, I start wondering why in the world I keep trying. And then I remember: oh YEAH! I blog because I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! really insightful!
    I just have a blog for the hell of it, and yseterday i got my first follower which was a lovely feeling LOL i don't have many readers at all but if one person reads a posts and likes it then I'm happy but otherwise, it's just random hoo-hah i write for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I find myself getting stuck quite often, I take that as a sign that I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all of these are so true, and so great to hear again. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful and oh so true advice for new bloggers...how lovely of you to take the time to write all of this to help others! :)

    I too only started blogging for myself and because it was a creative outlet for myself and I enjoy writing...I had no followers for awhile and am amazed at the growth, which inspires me more, has had me invest more time in it and has become a true passion of mine...I love it, the people I have met and just blogging in general!

    I hope all of you who are just starting out have a wonderful adventure as well and welcome to blogland! :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thank you for putting these thoughts to screen. Totally agree. Like you, I have to remind myself of these things that are so easily lost. In this increasingly crowded blog-land, it is becoming more and more important to blog what you want - that in itself is niche and will attract like minds. Well said, Dani :) Have retweeted to spread the good word :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a great and helpful post. It couldn't have come at a greater time seeing as I just started a new blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I'm a super new blogger,I started because I want to share what I do and what I create. Also to practice my English which isn't my native language.
    I need a lot of practice and useful advices, like these :)
    -Penelope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post. I often sit back wondering if more people will read my blog, how I can get more pageviews, more comments etc.
    But you're right, sometimes I have to tell myself that I'm blogging because I want to, and because I enjoy keeping a 'journal' and sharing certain things with the world when I want to. Even if it's only one reader, even if it's no readers, I still feel good about putting my thoughts down on 'paper' and out of my head!
    Thanks for the insight :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Being a new blogger, this post was really encouraging. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself (or just my family) and I get discouraged. This reminded why I began in it the first place- because I love to write!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this a lot! It was great, especially to a newer blogger like myself. Thank you for your helpful words, this definitely inspires me. It's hard starting from scratch, and in my honest opinion, I feel like it's hard being a guy blogger.. I see a lot of other guy bloggers, but they're completely different than where I want mine to go.
    Again, thank you.. this was perfectly said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I blog to document our life...because that whole baby book thing isn't me:P But yes, I do get discouraged when I hear crickets...which is often. Then I remind myself that even though I love for others to see and read what I create...when it comes down to it...its for me. So if I am happy with it...well, thats that. Thank you though, your words speak truth:P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! Thanks for always keeping it real, so many things you have said always stick with me. Gonna share this with others. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thansk for your advices :) I don´t need to think more about me and my blog :D I feel happy to have one
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is exactly what I need to read :) So true, and really inspiring, thank youuu for this :)

    Xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems like a lot of people are starting to pipe up about this subject more and more, and I really like seeing what people have to say. I like seeing things from the perspective of a blogger who is totally out there and living the dream. Sometimes it feels like I just am blogging to blog, and sometimes I feel like people are reading and it's not just my husband. Depends on the day, I suppose. I think starting out can be hard, and it's tough to find the right place. Especially when you feel like no one's watching, so you just tend to wander all over the place, if that makes sense...

    Lauren @ Sea Parrot

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was in the middle of working on my new blog and was having a "moment". I stopped myself mid-panic and knew that I needed to visit the blogs that are my inspiration. This was the first post I saw. Thank you for reminding me that I too, blog to blog. It's just what I needed to hear and based on some of these lovely comments, it seems like I'm not alone. You must have heard the collective voice of the newbies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great post! loved it and love that I'm able to be a sponsor this month! :)

    http://avintagegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love your blog. You are such an honest writer and its refreshing. I had no idea you taught high school English for 6 years! What a fun little fact :) These are all wonderful tips and I really agree with starting a blog..to blog..to no make money.have I think its such a turnoff when people start asking for sponsors and they have 100 followers. When did you start seeking sponsors?... if you wouldn't mind answering.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love your advice - i feel like we all get so caught up in this virtual world that we forget how to really live...and that's especially catastrophic with a baby, so i'm always glad for the reminder :)
    Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks so much for the tips, i'm a new blogger myself :)
    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this :)

    Byalibee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I particularly enjoyed the first and last points. It's really obvious when you're out to get readers and honestly, it makes me want to read your blog less! I want to know people are being genuine because those make for the most interesting posts :) And the last, I can't tell you how many people have actually gotten angry with me over blog/Twitter crap...it's absurd! We're all here to support each other, let's just chill out.

    Thanks for this awesome list lady:)

    By the way, the only outfit posts I can stand to do are "look at how ridiculous I look today" outfit posts, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yay! i love the honesty in this... you are so right. about everything. i think a lot of people start blogging with the hopes of being 'the next big thing' of the blog community and that makes it NOT FUN... I am on the same page as you, I blog because I truly enjoy it. Even if all I hear is crickets, it's all good, because it makes the one or two comments that I DO get that much more powerful. I lovelovelove blogging about my everyday life. It may seem so boring to some, but it makes me happy to have my very own "yearbook" right here that I can show to future generations! Thanks for always being so honest and real. It really is refreshing from some of the cattiness you see out there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great advice that rings true for me. My current blog is only a baby going on 6 months or so, but it's a labor of love. For a bit I tried linking up with outfit posts, but felt similarly as you, it just wasn't me. Other times I linked up to photo challenges, and again felt like it just didn't work. All of these things are part of the process, for now I've found what does work for me and it's an ongoing process. I think if you blog out of love and connection than readers will come. For me it's more about that community and friendships than a number and I'm glad to have come to that point. It's easy to get caught up in it all, but if anyone just gives it time and gives their writing and blogging some room to grow, I think it can really blossom into something wonderful and unique. Thanks for this post. I enjoy your sharing and am always fond of your writing. Not every blog can keep my interests in such a lengthy post, but with yours I'm always excited to keep reading.

    -Sara-

    ReplyDelete
  27. As a new blogger, I feel that if someone wants to read me they're probably as krazy as I am and if they don't they probably don't get me and if they don't get me then why would I want them to read me anyway?

    And who wakes up one morning and says, "I need to make some money. I know! I'll start a blog. That'll be instant cash..."

    Don't need no followers. Just lookin for a few nutty friends so I know I'm not the only one in the world who'll saw the legs off a desk and mount it on the wall and call it a White Board...

    Do what you love, sista...just do whatcha love...

    Ok. Steppin off the soapbox now. I'm too comfortable up there sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks for taking the time to share this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore this and am so thankful you posted it! As a new blogger this is very helpful. Thanks Dani :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that I am not the only one that gets a little crazy about my traffic and following. And then I remember, it's just a blog! Just like you said. I like that.

    A wise friend once told me to remember to live for me and not to live for my blog. This was when I first started out. I've seen a lot of people who revolve their entire life around the fact it could be a great blog post, instead of doing things and then realizing they are so awesome that they need to be shared in the blogosphere! Am I making any sense? Now I am just rambling.

    Bottom line, I love this post. I love your blog. Let's be bloggy friends :)

    ♥Abbey
    Along Abbey Road
    Help Breast Cancer Awareness and enter my Sprightly So giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for your great advice! I just started blogging and this post was just what I needed. I love reading your blog, it's so lovely!


    mysweetwolf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really need these reminders every so often and lately even more so. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. that is such great advice!! i think too many times people (including me) get caught up in the numbers and lose sight of who they really are. and honestly, i think if writers forget about the numbers and continue to stay true to themselves, THAT'S where the numbers start to grow. :) thank you so much for this post!

    p.s. i'm kind of new to your blog and now after seeing that you taught English i feel lame for not using correct grammar in my comment, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow... seriously, wow. Amazing, truly helpful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was extremely helpful. It actually made me step back a little bit and ask myself why I am blogging. Is it for me or someone else? I will keep these pointers in mind.

    I love your writing style by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for this! I think that all of us who begin to blog need some sort of validation: that we are smart, interesting, have something to say. But it's nice to be reminded that we need to be kind to ourselves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. this was so inspirational to me, thank you Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is all so true. I often notice bloggers with very high readership numbers and my first thoughts are always "How did that number get so high?" and "What are they doing to get that"; but then I realize I'm reading THAT blog because I love the writer.
    AND I'm writing my blog because I'm a writer. I once had an editor tell me she loved my blog but thought that I should take more of "me" out of it and make it more about recipes, reviews, etc.
    How can I have a blog that isn't involving me? That's WHY I started my blog. I understood her advice on a business level but it wasn't something I was willing to do.
    Blogging is for me and I love the community that comes from it.
    www.beautifulblendings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking a lot lately about just giving up on blogging. Ya see I'm new and I just get discouraged because I "hear the crickets" as you said. You have given me that little boost I needed to continue blogging for me.

    ashtonadventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this! Goodness, I really needed it. Again, I say THANK YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
  41. http://wisherworldtraveler.blogspot.com/October 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM

    ugh! thanks Danielle :) I feel like I'm out here and nobody knows and reads, then I step back and realize that I'm not writing to attract readers, I'm writing to relax and share memories, ideas, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great post! I love your blog ,I just started blogging myself and do it just because its something I wanna do for myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you so much for this post, Danielle!

    I'm a new blogger myself and this is really great advice.

    I've started because I want to contribute something to the blogging world and not just read others' blogs and so far I'm really happy with my little corner of the internet, even though I don't have many followers or comments.
    You definitely inspired me to write more personal posts, I love this about your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brava! Of all the blogs I read, you've stayed the truest of the true! I'll always always be a reader!

    While I only had one instance of negativity related to another person with my blog and I didn't post negative entries, it really felt like it did become a negative place for me. I do miss blogging most days. The chapter of Seabird just really needed to be closed down. I have a feeling that someday I'll open back up to the public, but in a very different light. The english department has a course on blogging that I'm thinking about taking next semester, just for the heck of it. Maybe it'll inspire me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you. Very interesting, honest read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. nice write.. :)

    i blog because i like took a photo by myself and i just wanna share what i think. :)

    Can you write in my blog? be my guest post?? :) :D

    http://lovesimplegreen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks a ton for this post! It's actually really easy to see if the person blogging is being genuine or not and I hope to be in blogging for myself mostly, not just for others :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great post! It gets easier when I take it day by day, when I think about what I care about today, what I love today, and move on from there. The scheduling and the planning can sometimes take the magic out of experiencing and appreciating the here and now.

    Thanks for sharing!

    xo,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  49. thank you, thank you!
    i love how real you are.

    ReplyDelete
  50. thank you for this very inspiring post. I am new to the world of blogging and new bloggers like me definitely need these tips as we go along the way. It might seem very frustrating for the first few weeks because you don't really know whether people are reading your posts or its just you alone out there. But it is true that it takes time to get there.

    Hopefully, i would be able to meet more online bloggers and gain online friends. :-)

    Fyi, your blog is just very inspirational and interesting at the same time. :-)


    xoxo
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for posting this, Danielle.

    I've been having issues with this lately and it's funny that you post this because yesterday I just made a blog post about how I'm going to focus solely on what I get excited to write about only (cooking) and then if a different topic strikes me at the time, then I will write about it but it probably won't be very often. I love to blog about cooking because I'm such an amateur and those are the posts I get excited about! I love reading about what other people did on the weekend, but I'm not passionate about WRITING about my own personal life. So I'm glad I finally found my niche in the blogging world.

    Thanks so much again for posting this.

    -Jessica
    www.jessicakutok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Absolutely love and appreciate your heartfelt advice. It's so good to hear when one is just starting out...hearing crickets:-)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for the tips. I've been blogging for over 3 years + still don't have many followers, but I do it for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thank you for sharing your tips and advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Omgsh, THANK YOU! This was just what I needed to read today. This was so helpful. I have come so close to quitting my blog that has only been up for 3 months or so LOL because of many of the things you said---so reading what you had to say, helped me SO much! I am going to come back and back to this--thank you for taking the TIME to write this out, it's so helpful for newbies like me, who have felt very intimidated by the sea of blogs out there...nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I found you via Eisy Morgan on Facebook. Thanks you so much for this. I started blogging in January and it changed me and saved me in so many ways. I have always wanted to be a writer, and now I feel like I am, even if I only have a handful of followers. Thank you for reminding me that I need to write for me, not for money or blog fame. I find that somethimes I feel like I'm so late to this (blog) party. I'm saving this post, to remind me on the hard days!
    Lots of Love,
    Megan
    http://www.absolutemommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you so much for this post. I enjoyed reading it and needed to hear it. I starated my blog for me, it is so easy to get caught up in wanting it to grow, but that is our ego. I enjoy your blog and thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  58. great post! thanks for sharing all of your tips and experiences. as someone just starting out and slowly growing, this encourages me to keep searching for what works for me. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Great post ! you're such a Inspiration ! :D

    http://ohitsjuno.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thank you for the tips. I agree 110%. I really appreciate it. I'm having a little bit of difficulty with #2,but I think I'll figure it out in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. This is wonderful! I love reading your posts and I've been considering starting a blog for some time; this was the final push. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thanks so much for this post, I just started blogging and it was really encouraging to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. thanks :) love this post & love your blog!
    -new blogger

    ReplyDelete
  64. Great post :) thank you so much for the inspiration.


    Amanda | http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  65. wonderful post, let's jus keep blogs as blogs and enjoy them for what they are, real life's out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Wonderful advice, full of warmth and practicality. I have two readers on my new blog, both close girlfriends from childhood, one of which I know reads everyday (and looks forward to it). Just knowing this makes me feel great and if I can interest no one else but them and myself I am thrilled. It is a fun and exciting hobby. The candor in your last paragraph is hugely appreciated, and couldn't ring more true. Thank you for this encouraging post!

    http://fade-into.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  67. Seriously, thank you so much for making this post. As a new blogger, I cannot even begin to tell you how encouraging reading this has been. Maybe if you get a moment, you'll check out my blog too! It would mean the world to me.

    www.prettylittlefawn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. TRULY ONE OF THE BEST POST I'VE EVER READ, THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT...I'M A NEWBIE, IS THERE A WAY I CAN REPOST TO MY BLOG IF YOU DON'T MIND?
    chevandtonisworld.blogspot.com THANKS A ZILLION FOR THIS GREAT POST :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. What comforting words. Thank you for this post! I've read so many wonderful blogs and didn't believe I could do it. But you're right - a blog's a blog. It's you, it's me, it's individuals who are beautiful and creative and passionate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. I'm just back from a month overseas and slowly working my way through the thousands (literally!) of blog posts I've missed. I'm so glad I didn't skip through this post! Thank you. This is a wonderful, down-to-earth reminder of what works and why we choose to blog. Hurrah for you and your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Love this! Thanks for the tips. I was getting discouraged because no one is reading my blog but I'm going to blog just to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  72. this is one of my favorite posts on blogging that i've seen. love blog to blog and it's just a blog. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  73. ..thanx for the cute,down to earth tips
    bookmarking u ...

    ReplyDelete
  74. Someone recommended I give this post a read, and I'm glad I did. It was super helpful, and just what I needed to hear. Many thanks.

    jackspapermoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  75. Your post is very inspire, Write the posts what you like, there are people who love them, all you need to make them intersting to read.
    My first blog http://perfectmakeups.com

    ReplyDelete
  76. Great advice. A few days ago, I realized that I've been focusing too much attention on posts that weren't really me. I decided to give my blog a little redirection & now I'm enjoying it more :) Thanks for sharing.

    { Jess }
    http://jmariesharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Fantastic post. I think it's also important to mention that it's ok for your blog to change! For example when people have children their focus in life shifts and so it's likely their blog will too. Blogs like people - evolve over time but that's what I love about blogging!

    www.skullsandponies.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. Phew, reading this is such a relief!
    I love my blog, I really do. I really enjoy writing my thoughts down, putting them out there into the world and hearing what the world has to say. (haha, I wish the world were reading my blog!!) I have recently started to wish that my blog had more traffic and started to think how I can make money from it, SEO's, Tags, etc...(I'm an expat in France) but truth be told, I maybe can't make it a job. You've brought all this to the forefront of my mind, right on cue. I started blogging in February so I should be more patient. If it happens, brilliant, if not, then its still a creative outlet for me.

    Thanks for pointing out that we need to find our place in the blogging world. I often worry about the content of my blog, I'm not arts and craftsy blog or a fashion chick, I'm not a foodie and I'm not really 100% a mummy blog. I often feel like I should try some of the above stuff but I have to keep reminding myself that its ok to just talk about life stuff. Thats what's important to me, thats what I enjoy - people and life. And thats Ok.

    I wrote about a topic today that I'd love your input on -
    What are your thoughts on transparency online? I love that we get to know Henry and see him grow up, its part of the reason I think people keep coming back to your site, (I love your honesty, we all get what we see with you, plus your photography is awesome!) but I'm interested to know how you came to the decision to show his face and use his name online. Was there ever a moment when you wondered whether to or not? I'm not sure if you blogged about this before, if so, point me in the right direction! :)

    Thanks for this post, I loved this today!
    Have a fab weekend!

    Louise
    (Comin' Home Soon)

    ReplyDelete
  79. Good advice, especially for us new bloggers. I blog because I want to, but still trying to find my own voice.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  80. Thank you so much for this. As long ago as it may seem to you now to have posted it, it's still helping little-known bloggers out there like me! I'm still trying to find my niche, which comes under writing about "little things that deserve to be big", but this varies from post to post! x

    ReplyDelete
  81. Nice tips. I read All the article and i found some interesting things and your blog is awesome.
    Writing style is Good.

    Regards
    Blogging Tips Guru
    http://www.bloggingtipsguru.in

    ReplyDelete
  82. thanks. it was really encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Really pleasant Tutorial. I like the content of your journal. I found your journal helpful and intriguing. Thanks for posting.
    website design

    ReplyDelete
  84. Awww...this is SO good.Yes, a blog is JUST a blog and it's SO fun, but it's important to remember this! Love that I found your blog. I think you and your family are just lovely! ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete
  85. Really loved reading this - I just started my blog this past year :)

    www.whosliv.com

    ReplyDelete
  86. Love, love, love this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips