Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nothing is better...

I LOVE Fall.

I'm not really sure what it is, but as soon as October rolls around I'm filled with this feeling. I can't even put my finger on it, but it's part happiness, part inspiration...and part everything feeling so new.

Seven years ago in October I went up to visit Hank for the first time. I'll never forget what it was like seeing what I now call "my town" with fresh eyes that Autumn. I thought it was the most charming place I'd ever visited; the downtown square was covered by leaves in every color, and the crisp, just cold-enough air made it possible for me to wear the winter clothes I'd tucked away since college. That fall was the best of my life up until that point, and I can still remember that feeling of "new" as I explored this new place, met new people, and most of all, started this new chapter in my life with this new guy. I found myself up there so often that first fall, and these were the months I fell in love for the first time. Hank and I would take long walks and stop for tea and coffee, drive around at night with the windows down and the heater up, listening to music. We'd rent movies late at night, then rush home to watch them while eating ice cream in bed with socks on, half watching and half talking the whole time. The Weakerthans "Everything Must Go" will forever remind me of that fall- it was the alarm music we'd wake up to on those chilly mornings and I'd try to make him stay in bed for just one more minute before he had to go to work.

Fall was always my most favorite season growing up too. Halloween was a big deal in our house, and my sister and I lived for the decorations and all things spooky. We'd trick-or-treat with our friends through the biggest development in town, using pillow cases for treat bags so we could fit all of the candy. I'd barter my Reese's for as many Snickers as I could collect, and we'd always get stomachaches that first night. My Dad would make real scarecrows for the front yard, we'd fill pumpkin bags up with leaves, and we'd draw pictures on the windows with our fingers when that first fall frost arrived in the early morning. It was magical.

And some of that magic still exists now. My childhood memories, paired with that Autumn I fell in love, make up the basis for what is my most beloved time of the year. And now with Henry I have yet another reason to get excited.  Nothing is better than seeing things through the eyes of a child, and I feel so lucky that this year we'll be able to do just that. I'm looking forward to making memories and starting traditions with our little guy- everything from pumpkin picking to trick or treating, costumes and candy.

This morning as I got ready I looked outside and saw the pumpkins on our front porch. I noticed the weather was a little colder than yesterday, and realized it will be a little colder tomorrow too. This weekend we'll get taking Henry to the pumpkin patch for the first time, and we'll go on a hay ride around the farm. Fall is absolutely here, and I couldn't be happier.

27 comments:

  1. I totally relate to all of this, fall really is a fabulous season. Summer is definitely my favorite, but fall is a close second. I feel really excited all the way until Christmas, and after that get a little down with the cold and hibernation. <3 I'm really looking forward to hopefully meeting you soon, and seeing what fall is like somewhere new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand "that feeling" you're talking about. I feel so inspired and happy when fall comes around. It's a season for excitement and productivity! :)

    xo, Samantha
    http://theadventuresoftwosams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that feeling too. Fall is so magical. I fell in love with my husband in the fall too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the same feelings for fall. I have my own memories that bring on such wonderful emotions this time of year. I look forward to it, long for it and savor it. Happy Fall! Xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever been to Schnepf Farm's pumpkin & chili party? You would lovelove it and Henry would have a blast! :) It's one of our new Fall family traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean by that 'feeling' that you get this time of year. Fall is just amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely relate to your love of Autumn, although for completely different reasons. There is something so magical about the colours, and suddenly home comforts are appreciated so much more. I wish we were more into Halloween over here, your childhood experiences of it sound lovely, I hope Henry has a fantastic time xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. You definitely took me with you on a journey. Autumn is my favorite season as well, thank you for helping me enjoy it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and having a baby makes it that much more exciting and new all over again! i can't wait for my baby's first halloween and all things fall!
    Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is definitely something about that first hint of crisp, cool air that feels like relief and anticipation all rolled up together. Makes me crave some cozy snuggles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes, yes... this is everything I feel about autumn! It is simply the most beautiful time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favorite season too...which I feel cheesy saying because my name is ... Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww I love this post.

    I agree. There are so many amazing things about October.

    Thanksgiving, My Birthday :), and me and my boyfriend started seeing eachother in October as well. :) And I too was falling in love! :)

    bye!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am such a weirdo.... I am the complete opposite when fall comes... I don't know what it is, but ever since my mom passed in August of 01, come the coolers months I just get this chill that comes over me, and a since of emptiness sometimes... I think I get the fall blues! :/ but regardless, I lovelovelove the weather change! <3 and love seeing how happy it makes other people!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that feeling { incredibly } well.

    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Autumn is my favourite season and we don't even get all the amazing autumn colours that you guys get! It always looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This little town makes every fall a little more magical. I love the square, and the historical neighborhood so much! I know exactly what you are talking about when you say "feeling"... I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates it <3

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just said nearly the exact same thing in my last post about October and the way it makes me feel:) Well said and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree! I love fall. And I felt that way when I first visited one of my now favorite towns - it was pure magic and love at first visit. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love fall too :) def a new follower of your blog! its super cute :) ps you should check my blog out! im doing a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. yesss, nothing can take your breath away like the leaves in fall!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i know the feelings you experience!! for some reason, fall has always done it for me. even in highschool and especially in college. there is something magical about fall....and now to share it with your family...it's amazing. i love seeing the excitement on my boys faces on a bright autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwwnnn... I loved this post! You write so well, with passion and honesty, it's hard not to be carried away by your memories... Haha! Does that make sense?

    Peace and enlightenment always!

    Duda

    PS: I just listen the "wake-up song", and it's lovely! I didn't knew it, thanks for my new alarm music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fall is my favorite season as well. :] I was getting in the mood for it with apple picking and going to the pumpkin patch, then we got a heat waves with 75+ degree weather! I just want the cool crisp air back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know what it is about you and the way you write, but I frequently find myself with teary eyes and goosebumps when I finish reading some of your posts. This really is the best time of the year. Each year is more exciting than the last and I'm really looking forward to starting traditions with my own little family some day! <3 Happy fall Danielle!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips