Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thankful on a Sunday (a good day turned bad, turned good again).


Today's been one of those days. It started off innocently enough- we woke up early, got the three of us ready to head to breakfast and the grocery store, normal Sunday stuff.  When I got out of bed I was in great spirits, coming off of yesterday's glorious Autumn day, but as the day went on I found a bit of irritability seeping into everything I did and said.  I kind of hate when I feel like this, because everything starts to annoy me. It's not fun. So I got kind of quiet and tried my hardest not to ruin everyone else's day too, which as I'm sure you can relate, is all too easy to do.

We got home in time for the 10am Cardinals game, set out some coffee cups and donuts for Hank and his friends in preparation for our weekly Sunday football get-together, then I booked it to the gym. I know myself all too well, and I knew that when I feel like this, the only thing that snaps me out of my funk is some good music, hard cardio, and lots of lifting.

I spent the next two hours ellipticalling and running and lifting and stretching and staring off into space while rudely occupying a weight machine, I'm sure. But guess what? I left feeling GOOD.

So I came home and tried to get a little writing done. I made a quiche. I played with little Henry (even though he was much more interested in playing with all of our friends who were over). I spent time with one of my sweetest girlfriends Adie, sitting at my kitchen counter.  We laughed, we talked, we avoided eating donuts, we made ridiculous jokes about "melting butter in a Dutch oven" (had to be there, I guess). I felt good. And so much better.

After our friends all went home we gave Henry a long bath in our big tub, then got him ready for bed and said goodnight. Now we sit here relaxing and I'm so happy that my good day turned bad day, turned out to be such a good day.

And what better way to end a good-bad-good day then to make a gratitude list?

Today I am so thankful for:

Whole Living magazine and their pages of endless inspiration
little feet. and hands. and noses.
Natalie and my girly sleepover and Christmas party we're planning
sliding around in socks on our tile floors
Henry's almost-talking-yet-not-quite amazing-ness
Quorn products (thank you, Michelle!)
knowing that my bad moods will always turn good again
running into old high school friends after 8+ years, and laughing and talking like no time had passed
pizza with half tomato/half pesto sauce
birthday party planning fun
being a bridesmaid in my dear friend Shirley's wedding this next weekend
finding great Payless!
the Halloween Party station on Pandora
mini-Heirloom tomatoes in every salad
my husband who makes me laugh all day long
and CHEESE! (gouda, specifically)

How about you? I'd love it if you'd join me, so feel free to link me in the comments. xoxo


  1. At first glance of the thumbnail for this post I thought you were holding a pregnancy test hahaha.

    Gouda is my favourite cheese, especially amazing with cumin!

  2. Glad you got out of your funk. And Adie is such a sweet lady, I can imagine she helped make your day pretty awesome. :) <33

  3. I hate when that happens. I'm glad the day got better for you though! xo, rv

  4. I had one of those days yesterday. I woke up a bit cranky, and quarreled some with my husband over nothing, and then finished the day off with home made pizzas & an impromptu movie night.

    I love Quorn products!


  5. it's been one of those days today. a long run after work helped, as well as some tea and yummy dinner.
    happy to hear you're feeling better :)

  6. Oh my god. Gouda on EVERYTHING. I've been all about it, apples, quiche, raw and everything else. And thankful for the weather, desert botanical butterflies and little babes.

  7. Today I'm thankful for the place I live, for the sun, and for eggplant.

  8. pretty magical that i'm finally able to leave a comment and its on this post where all i could think somewhere in the middle was "hugs!". i totally know how you feel...what IS that? i hate when it happens. love love...and hugs! ;)

  9. Mostly thankful for spending tonight getting organized for the week. Lovin' clean sheets and a clean bedroom :)

  10. yay for bad days turning around! I was in a bad mood this morning and then we went to take maternity pics. They came out so good and it was so much fun!
    PS I wish quorn products were vegan! I enjoyed them before I made the switch

  11. i love your blog and your tattoos :-). xoxo

  12. Aw, this was a lovely post! I'm just about to head to the gym for the first time in a week and can't wait - this has made it even better!

    I'm thankful for:
    Being able to exercise the way I can now (I couldn't before coz I was too heavy)
    Days off work
    Crisp Autumn Days (I just need to get one, its wet and soggy here!)

    Inspirational blog posts
    Good books
    Good food
    Good coffee!

  13. I'm glad your day was able to turn around! It always helps to think of our blessings too. I'm thankful that I'm getting married next month and feeling blessed to start a life with a wonderful guy!

  14. What a great post! Many times I feel that annoyance creeping in. I'm glad you were able to turn your day around & ended up having a wonderful one :)

  15. I fell into a funk yesterday too, and it's SO hard to get out of it. I love to see what others do & all I have to say is thanks for the inspiration!

  16. I also woke up in a good mood yesterday that quickly turned into a funk. To get a little TMI on you, this is a common occurance for me in the last half of my cycle, when hormones start to plummet. In any event, it's the worst when that happens on a weekend day when you know that you have a finite amount of time to enjoy your family. I agree that some hard cardio is the only way to "snap out of it." After a run I felt a million times better. :)

  17. mad staring eyes! aaggghhhh!

  18. Hate those days. Yum at photo too :)

  19. I'm glad your day got better! :)

  20. totally understand this feeling. although it always seems to take me a bit longer to snap out of it!

    so thankful for a gloomy day today. makes my heart happy.

  21. I was actually in a really bad mood until I read this post and decided to write a gratitude list of my own.

  22. A moment of silence in gratitude for Quorn products please! And a reminder to myself to find what works every time to get out of funks.

  23. I noticed you said you write... do you mean your blog? Or do you write other things too? I'm taking part in National Novel Writing Month which is coming up in November, so I wondered if you were too.

    I didn't know you wrote :)

  24. I have those days from time to time. Working out is generally what helps me, too. Or sometimes just getting lost in a good book or movie.

    And I love Quorn products!


  26. This post is lovely.
    I'm so happy your day turned out good... I love when that happens!

  27. so glad you got out of your funk. I can completely relate. I HATE WHEN THOSE MOODS TAKE OVER. I am like you, I try SO hard not to ruin anybody else day, but it's hard because people notice the change, even when you are saying nothing at all...

    I still do the weekly Thankful Thursday link up, so here is my link for this week. Would love to have you join up sometimes. Thanks for sharing the little and big things you are thankful for <3


Blogging tips