Wednesday, November 23, 2011



In the spirit of gratitude I thought I would share some things I'm feeling grateful for.  I try and think about what I'm thankful for everyday, and I have to admit that writing these little lists out always puts me in the best mood. It's a good exercise, and I love having these posts to look back on on a particularly down day to cheer me right up. So, without further ado, here's my list-

1. My family. I feel lucky to be married to my best friend, and even better? He's the greatest father. Everyday I wake up and feel so grateful for Hank, and now that we have sweet Henry in the picture, life just feels...right.  I love spending my days with Henry- his laughs and smiles have brought more happiness to me than anything in the world, and I feel like it's so much easier to find positivity in every aspect of life with that little guy calling me mama. Even the worst of days have that bit of goodness in them, and for that I am so thankful. Beyond us three, I'm so thankful for all of my family. We have a solid one, and I try to never, ever forget that.

2. Madeline. Before Henry was born she was the baby of the house, and even though things have completely changed, she is still the sweetest thing in the entire world. We went through a weird transitional phase when Henry first arrived but now we are all back to normal, and she truly is Henry's best friend. It's awesome to watch them play and explore together. Madeline's pretty much in heaven to have a full-time, roll-around-on-the-floor playmate.

3. The basics. A roof over our head, food in our bellies, clean water to drink.

4. My friends. Over this past year my idea of what a friend is and how to be a friend changed a bit, and in that shift I've found myself with a lot less close friends than ever. But this is a good thing. I now have the time and energy to focus on the people in my life that matter, rather than spreading myself thin with too many people. Quality over quantity, and the few that I keep close are some of the best people in the entire world. This past year I've also met and gotten quite close with a few new mama friends, and I adore them, even though they are at least a couple of hours away (and one all the way up the West Coast!). Their daily support and friendship is amazing.

5. My education. Even though I stay home with Henry now, I am so thankful to have been able to attend both college and graduate school.  I think back so fondly on my college times, and not just at all the fun my friends and I had socially- I feel like I really learned a lot in all of the classes I took in regards to English. I have such a love for writing, and although that's been a part of me for as long as I can remember, so many of my professors at NAU and so many of the classes I took really helped ignite a deeper passion for it.  It think of them every day and feel very grateful to have had that experience, and I'm excited to move forward with all of it.

6. The knowledge and ability to change anything I want. Right now I'm just taking each day for what it is, a chance to be a better wife and mother. I know that if yesterday I was in a snappy mood, today I can change my attitude and be kinder. I know that if I made poor food choices, if I was more lazy than productive, so on and so forth, then right now I can fix that through my actions. In the past I think I would let a bump in the road shake me, thus starting a cycle of more negativity. Now though I'd like to think that proactively moving forward has helped me get closer to becoming that person I want to be, and I'm thankful for this.

7. Health. Everyday I feel thankful for this, because I've seen so many people in my life deal with very hard things. From my Mom's breast cancer to my Dad's heart problems, we recently had a few years that were very difficult. And although everything is good now, going through a lot of what we did together made me really appreciate good health and to never take it for granted.

8. Technology. I love that we are all so connected and I'm able to be in touch with my faraway family and friends whenever I want. I was just emailing with my friend in India- it was 11:30pm and bedtime for her- and I had to sit back for a moment and marvel at how awesome that really is.

9. Having the luxury of being able to even type out a thankful list. Really. There's so much that goes into this little act- a happily napping baby, a computer, electricity, etc. etc. 

10. And finally, some little things, both serious and silly: the men and women who serve our country, Netflix, yoga pants, Trader Joe's coming to town, Sons of Anarchy, Oprah, cheese (Gouda and Muenster specifically), Pink Lady apples, my Kindle and getting to read any book instantly, feeling like we are getting even a little bit closer to marriage equality, Martha Stewart Living, this blog, and all of you!

And speaking of you, what are you thankful for? If you post a list on your blog, be sure to link me below so I can go check it out too. 

p.s. I have something special I'll be sharing on the blog tomorrow that has been on my mind for awhile. Until then, have a great night and a happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate!


  1. Beautiful post! I'm be posting a thankful one tomorrow and hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Great picks, especially the basics! So true!

    Liesl :)

  2. I haven't really made a thankful list...instead I made a brat like post last night of what I want for Christmas...Now I feel very guilty.

    But you inspire me to think of what I am thankful for and make sure I appreciate the little things that I have in my life vs. what others only dream about. Thank you Danielle.

    Mary from

  3. Aww, this is so sweet. There are so many things to be thankful for :)

  4. I posted a thankful list but I accidently left off a couple things and it's not that good lol Here it is

  5. Btw Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

  6. Such a great list you have!! We have a lot of the things on our lists! Here's mine..

  7. Great List! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

  8. What a great post and well thought out list. Amen to your comments re:friends....I have learned a few similar lessons this year.
    Happy Thanksiving to you!

  9. how funny! We started a new top 5 thankful list in our family too. Great minds think alike ;) Logie's is pretty hilarious.

    xxoo happy thanksgiving sweet friend.

  10. I love this list<3 So important to be thankful.

  11. A most excellent and agreeable list! Here is my post of gratefulness, along with the interesting way I plan to weigh the bounty:

    Weigh your worth before her majesty the Verde River

  12. Putting one of these delightful little lists up right now!! This is adorable and I love it!

    Happy Thanksgiving dear!


  13. happy thanksgiving to you & yours!

    and as cheesy as it may sound - i'm thankful for awesome blogs like yours!

  14. This list makes me happy. Thankful, even. Happy Thanksgiving!

  15. Cheese! my list is short and will be up tonight over at

    and I know what you mean about the friend situation, its taken a lot of understanding from my closests to know I love them, but my daughter is number one and takes up almost all of my energy.

  16. You inspired me to write my own so here is my link and Happy thanksgiving!

    - Mary

  17. Happy Thanksgivng. I think I will do this too! :)

  18. What a great list! Happy Thanksgiving!


  19. This post is so beautiful, I love your list!
    I think it's so important to not take everything for granted.

    I'm really thankful for this whole blogging world - it's so great to get inspired by all the fabulous blogs out there, especially by the ones that make you really think about yourself and become a better person.

  20. Happy Thanksgiving! It's always a good idea to remember what we are thankful for really,in this busy,busy world we live in. :)

  21. you inspired me to post a thankful list. c: i used the same format as you, hopefully you don't mind.

    have a wonderful thanksgiving!

  22. i love the shout out about Sons! Next week better be good!

    i am thankful to have found your blog and know there are other cool moms out there. thanks for the work you do!

    i wrote a thankful/love list blog tonight

  23. i just love your blog! you are so sweet and a really good writer. happy thanksgiving to y'all!

  24. Happy Thanksgiving! I love your list and it definitely inspired me to write my own. I try to be grateful everyday but its so very hard.

  25. happy thanksgiving!

    i made a post about the things that i am thankful for, but sometimes take for granted.

  26. This is such a nice list!
    It's so nice to take some time to just reflect on what you're thankful for.
    I didn't write a list because I'm Canadian so my Thanksgiving is in October.. I probably wrote one then though!
    Have a good one!

  27. Great list! It's always going to be a mix of the big things and the little things isn't it? I posted one over on my blog too
    It's nice to write it down to help remind yourself to be thankful, even when things aren't going so great.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Rosie xx

  28. I love thankful posts!! Here is my list!

    p.s. We just had a Trader Joe's open in our town and it is AWESOME!!

  29. Thank you for such an awesome blog post ♥

    I've also done one myself:

    Can't wait to go and check everyone else's out :-D ♥ xx

  30. I did a very similar list! Happy Thanksgiving!


  31. I posted my own little list on Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing what you're thankful for.

  32. wonderful things to be thankful for, Dani!

    We live such blessed lives! <3

    As always, I did my Thankful Thursday post on Thursday!

  33. And I love that you posted about the transition stage with the doggy when you brought Henry home.... so many people thing it will magically happen on day one, and when it don't, their pet ends up at a shelter. I'm glad you guys gave it time, and it ended well <3

  34. i created a thankful post as well (for my 52 lists in 52 weeks feature).


  35. lists like this are the reason Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. even if the year has been so busy and intense, this is one day where people generally take a moment to reflect on these things. interesting that it precedes a holiday (Christmas) that has become so much about want, want, want instead of love and gratitude and hope.

    thanks for sharing<3

  36. awesome article... can help us a good deal,it is Exactly what I became trying to find! Thank you.

  37. And That I really like that you simply published concerning the changeover period together with the doggy whenever you delivered Henry property.... so many people factor it can amazingly occur on the beginning
    Fifa 14 Coins XBOX


Blogging tips