Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday happiness: 5 things I'm loving

Today is a really good day for no particular reason, and I'm welcoming it in with open arms because it means I have just one more day until Hank gets home! I don't know how I ever got by when he was gone for months at time touring with his band. Obviously it's much harder now since Henry's in the picture, but at the heart of the matter I just miss him more than ever when he's gone on business trips.  Anytime I'm alone for more than a couple of days with Henry it really puts a lot into perspective and makes me think of my girlfriends who have husbands in the military or who are single mamas. I won't pretend for a second that Hank's absence for a few days can even compare, but I will say that it makes me think of these women as true super Moms. My hats off to you, ladies. You are truly amazing.

With that said, I thought I'd share a quick little list of things that I'm currently loving!




1. This video. It's absolutely a must-watch. I personally don't mind getting older one bit, and I found this clip to be incredibly inspiring.


2. The My New Roots blog. This is my most favorite blog right now. I highly recommend it to you if you're into whole living, healthy food, or just want a burst of inspiration.

3. Awesomely fun things for my iphone like the Phoster app, which my friend Sarah reminded me of it this morning. I've recently utilized it to make little cards and notes to send to Hank, but after Sarah used it on Instagram today I thought that it might be fun to use in your blog or make your photos even prettier. It's really amazing and what I used to make that pink poster right there. It's $1.99 but definitely worth it.

Some other apps I'm loving lately:

-the Joann and Michael's apps for coupons. I wish all stores offered this.

-Postalpix. You can order photos straight from your phone, and they print in all sizes, including square pictures for Instagram photos. This app is quick and super easy to use. I highly recommend it!


4. The Wonder Years on Netflix. I feel like my prayers have been answered with this one. The Wonder Years is one of my all-time favorite television shows from way back when and I've been absolutely loving being able to watch any of the 114 episodes on Instant Play (there's actually 115 episodes but Netflix doesn't stream the clips episode). Another show I've just recently gotten into- Breaking Bad. I watched the first episode while running on the treadmill the other night and I'm hooked.

5. The extreme organizing that has been going on in our house! Hank and I are both neat freaks (he's always been, and I've made my way to becoming one over the past few years), and lately I have been on an organizing kick. My Shop My Closet was a big part of that, and this past go 'round I managed to really whittle my closet down to the essentials. I still have a few items left, as well as some new additions, so head over and check it out! I moved all of the available items to the first few pages, and feel free to use code "sometimessweet" for 10% anything.

Well I'm off to do a little birthday party crafting before Henry wakes up! His party is on Saturday and I'm so excited to have (almost) all of our friends and family in one place.

And if you have a moment, how about you? Is there anything in particular you're really loving right now?

Happy Tuesday! xoxo

27 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - my husband travels for work a lot and I can't imagine how hard that must be when you're taking care of a baby! Loving all these links, especially the blog, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that food blog. So inspirational and yummy. And my hubby is a fireman now, so he's gone for two nights in a row every four days. At first I didn't think I'd even notice, but I find myself sulking and missing him like mad every week! Like you, it makes me appreciate all fireman families and serviceman families even more. I always try to include all of them in my prayers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i JUST posted about the ladies of advanced style yesterday, aren't they lovely? thanks for the healthy food blog, i'm getting into it bigtime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're having a good day :) Rob and I used to deal with distance like champs - when he was deployed we were apart for 8 straight months. But now I'm gone for a week or so and I'm just a wreck. Glad Hank comes home soon :)

    Love Breaking Bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @gaby you are welcome! <3

    @monstercakes I'm the same way- at first I was like, "no big deal," but it crept up on me and now it's really hard.

    @miss teacups great minds, lady! I've seen it before but when I saw it this morning it just made me so happy. I love those women!

    @caitlin ahh I'm so glad you like it too! I am hoping it stays as good as it is right now, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to check out that food blog! Any site with Kale in the heading is for me!

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  7. breaking bad is an amazing show!! i got hooked on it on netflix and downloaded season 4 which just ended like a month ago. seriously...the show gives me anxiety, but i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that video. And that app makes me wish I had an I-Phone(or any kind of cell phone at all)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute video. I love it! xo, rv


    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, 'my new roots' is really lovely, I'm going to send this link to my sister she will love it!

    My husband and I are in the process of moving, we start taking things to our new place tomorrow and we've been organising like pros the last couple of days sorting through clothes and getting right down to essentials. Its been so good to get rid of things you carry around from house to house that you don't need. So i'm loving the process of our move.

    Lauren
    http://tasteslikelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on the distance thing. My (now) husband and I have been together 5 years. We lived together the first 4 and a half, but have been separate during the week since February. I can't wait until his contract is up at work this coming February so that we can be together in our new home. We're newlyweds, we need to see each other ;)

    In some ways, it's not so bad because I'm pretty independent. However, I do miss him.

    Also - thanks for the app recommendations! Loving the Joanns and Michaels ones, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I hear you on the 'missing the husband' thing. My husband has a full time day job and also works nights as a musician and I miss him like nuts. Today especially, because he leaves the house at 8.30am and isn't back until 11pm.

    On a brighter note and in the 'things I love' category is my mothers group. We had the first 1st birthday for one of the babies yesterday, which means we've been together for almost a year! They are such a wonderful, supportive group of mums and I'm lucky to have them. I keep meaning to pop in to our local child health nurse and thank her for putting such a good group together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh I love that video! Think I'm going to have to reblog- that's my exact sentiment behind Jumpsuit Friday! You can't have a bad day when you're wearing a jumpsuit. I love the part where she says "you don't want to look crazy." Hahaha thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw this was great. Can't wait to see your photos of Henry's birthday! I'm sure you'll come up with something positively amazing. =]

    ReplyDelete
  15. noooo, the wonder years on netflix?! just when i canceled my subscription! i hope that means the series will make it to dvd soon. i need to organize my space as well, but first i need to stop buying your old clothes :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is sweet of you to recognize the hardship that military families face. You are almost the Mommy of a 1 year old!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know Hank was in a band! That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Atm, I am loving this cup of tea. Can't wait for Henry's Birthday Party posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Advanced Style is great... truly inspirational ladies!

    http://fade-into.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh! Breaking Bad is awesome! It only gets better! Can't wait to see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I often think of military families and others who are gone for long periods of time, and God Bless those families, I just could NOT imagine.

    I am so blessed to have my best friend/husband here with me.

    Oh, I remember the Wonder Years. :) I'll have to catch some eps. I'm waiting (impatiently) for them to get Everybody Loves Raymond.

    Currently I am loving Sunday Nights watching Breaking Dawn with my husband. :) My favorite night of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The ladies in the video are so wonderful...and as you said, inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Breaking Bad is so addictive. My husband and I have been watching at least an episode a night since we started...but more like three episodes on a good night. I love it. It's so crazy. Wait until you get to the episode with the tortoise. That's all I'm going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love this post... i am oh so addicted to unnecessary iphone apps so im excited to try a new one i don't yet have but am sure i will obsess over!

    ReplyDelete
  25. that advanced style video is amazing. what a wonderful example of women embracing their age, and pretty much flipping the bird to societal pressure to look a certain way at a certain age. thanks for passing along the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm currently in a long distance relationship as well so I totally know the feeling! Thanks for keeping me busy with new and exciting things to check out during the week! The michaels and joanns apps I did not know about and will be VERY helpful when I make impromptu trips without coupons!

    cupcakepeonie.blotspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips