Sunday, December 11, 2011

Girls' Christmas Party/Sleepover

Last night was our first annual girls' Christmas party sleepover!  It was so much fun, and I was pretty sad today to say goodbye to all of my girlfriends.  Nat and I decided to plan this little event a few months ago, and we had a lot of fun putting it together.  We decided to do a potluck, so each girl brought one or more dishes to share, and we had everything from vegan oatmeal cream pies to cucumber sandwiches, goat-cheese stuffed mushrooms to mini red velvet cupcakes. We also decided to do an ornament exchange, so each girl brought an wrapped ornament, we chose numbers, then picked a box. It was so fun to see what ornament everyone brought and received. Since we are going to do this party every year, I think it will be a fun tradition to have a little collection of ornaments as the years go by.

It was such a fun night, and it was another one of those times where I just had to pause, look around, and feel so thankful for all of this love in my life.  To have all of these girls from all of these different parts of my world in one place, all having the best time was pretty awesome. We went out downtown for awhile to look at the pretty Christmas lights and dance for a bit at some of the bars, and we ended the night in our pajamas, talking until 4am in my kitchen.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the friendships I have with my girls make my world go 'round and last night was so special. I already can't wait until our Christmas party next year.

Today was a great day too- we all slept in a bit, then went to lunch before the girls all left.  I spent the rest of the afternoon feeling being weirded out out about being home alone (what to do with all of that me-time?!), but then got into watching Water for Elephants and the day went by pretty quickly. Hank and Henry got home from Phoenix an hour ago, and I don't think I've ever been so excited to hear our garage door open. I missed them so much.

I'm off to bed now, but I wanted to share some photos. I was having too much fun to focus on taking many with my normal camera (next year we need a proper photobooth!), but here are a few via my iPhone and instagram that capture the weekend.

Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams
Girls' Xmas Party Instagrams

38 comments:

  1. This looks amazingly fun, I wish I had girlfriends to do that with! Making time to is the problem...ha. I love the peppermint stick idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing! i think i want to do this next year.

    so wonderful.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. wauw this is great idea to celeb new year earlier with girl friends. I'll tell this my girls :)

    You seem that you had so much fun.

    http://trendydolap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you girls had a blast. I think its such a neat idea for friend girls to get together atleast once a year! can't wait for next year :)

    Xoxo, Mary from ♥ meowwzie.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is a great idea! I might have to start this tradition with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea! Looks like such a fun time and all the food looks so yummy :D I love the idea of doing an ornament exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like it was such a fun night!!! I should plan something like this!

    Marja <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds like so much fun!
    Awesome idea & I hope it becomes a tradition :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a fun idea! The food looks amazing and I love your red skirt. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have moved to London (like, um, two years ago) and am finding it so hard to make a good group of friends like I had in Edinburgh! You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AH, so fun! And so inspiring that you can still have sleepovers even when you're all grown up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My girl friends and I have Christmas potluck dinner every year also. We may need to add a sleepover, it sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, the best! you all look so beautiful and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you all had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw, that looks like a really fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The appetizers look delicious! Looks like you had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so jealous! It looks like a wonderful time was had by all! You are lucky to have such a solid group of friends, as i'm sure you know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a blast! I love girls night!!
    Thelifeofbranty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. fun!!! it's SO important to maintain that friend time. even if you don't do it as often just to keep those bonds and have fun little outtings like this. it helps to freshen your perspective on life and parenting and it is nice to take that time for yourself. glad you enjoyed it ;)

    xo
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you ladies had a wonderful time!

    I have to say I am a little jealous though. My fiance and I live in a small town and our closest friends live over 2 hours away. And we are building a house in an even smaller town, so I don't think that is going to help much in the friend department. But thankfully we will be spending a month in Phoenix for Christmas so I can try to get my fill of all my friends :)

    Little Lady Little City

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great weekend! All of my really good girlfriends live far away (from NYC to Oregon to Chicago) which makes it hard to get much time with them. I'd love to have a great group of girls nearby to spend weekends with!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks like so much fun!! the best way to spend the weekend is definitely with the favorite girls ;) thanks for sharing and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like the perfect way to spend a weekend!

    I love that the older I get the easier it is to meet and form friendships with great girls. I've always been one to say I don't have many girlfriends, but lately I've realized that's not true at all! Will have to go a big girly sleepover someday :)

    Your tweets yesterday were cracking me up - re: finally getting free time and not knowing what to do :) Ain't it the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmm...white people wearing Native American garb. Really? Officially unfollowing. I'm disappointed you support this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yummy! sounds had fun...
    lovely pictures.
    merry christmas to all guys!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my how fun does this sound?! The pictures are super adorable! I would love to start a tradition like this.. thanks for sharing .. looks like you ladies had tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like so much fun & a great tradition to start. Definitely inspired to do something like this in the future for me and some girlfriends :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Goodness Danielle, why didn't you stop me from leaving the house with my striped sweater from Old Navy on?? Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a cute idea. I think we're never to old for sleepovers.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. All the food looks so yummy. Good time :)
    -andrea lynne rose
    http://madmus.blogspot.com/2011/12/15-days-of-scarves-day-3-vintage-golden.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh goodness!! Looks like the absolute best time. Wish we were closer!
    Love all the pictures, Danielle.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks like yall had fun!
    danielle-where did you get that top? i love it!!
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete
  33. a good ol sleepover, love this idea... may have to start that tradition once i move into my 1st home! <3

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips