Monday, January 9, 2012

3 Ways to Get Motivated Today


If you're anything like me, with the new year usually comes a new resolve to get moving and get healthy.  I'm not sure if it's a subconscious thing, due to all of the new year, new body talk, gym membership price-slashing, or just the habit of making resolutions, but even if I'm on top of my fitness routine I still get the urge to step it up. I know I love fresh starts and all of the implications of a brand new 12 months on the calendar, but I think it's important to move beyond feeling like you have one shot to make and keep goals.  Resolutions are great, but I think with fitness and health it's important to acknowledge that the opportunity to change and move forward is always there. I think it's great to see a new year as a clean slate, but I think along with that mindset sometimes comes a certain attitude about failure. If you're making a big change in your life (or even small ones), there are bound to be missteps along the way. Let's say you got into a funk and didn't work out for a month...rather than get down on yourself, simply decide to change now. Being negative only perpetuates that downward cycle. Instead, recognize that you want to change, and make that change this very second. Not tomorrow morning, not when you have time, not on Monday.  Make the choice now- choose a healthy lunch, a walk around your neighborhood, and get back on track. It's so easy to fall into the trap of putting it off again and again and again, and like the saying goes, if not now, when?

So here are 3 little bits of inspirations to get you moving today.

1. Make a new workout playlist. Nothing is more inspiring to me than having brand new songs to listen to at the gym. I've recently been turned onto Spotify and I love it. For ten dollars a month you can make unlimited playlists to listen to on or offline, no ads, no skipping-song limits...it's awesome. There's a free version too, but I like it so much I had to upgrade. It's worth it to me though- every time I walk into the gym I look forward to listening to new music or old favorites. It's incredibly inspiring and makes my time working out not only more productive, but more fun too.  I mainly workout to rap and hip hop, but sometimes I'll throw some other things in there to mix it up- and feel free to find me on Spotify- I have a huge workout playlist going.

2. Visualize. I've talked about this many times before, but seriously, just take a moment and imagine yourself walking out of the gym, done with your workout for the day! This morning when my alarm went off at 4:45am I just stayed in bed for a moment, positively dreading stepping even one foot onto the ground. But I knew that if I didn't go, when Henry woke up at 7:30 I would be so upset with myself that I didn't take advantage of this wide-open "me" time. I remembered how great I would feel leaving the gym, sweaty and proud of myself. I know I'd be happier and more productive throughout the day knowing that my workout was done, and I reminded myself that I'd be able to just enjoy hanging out later tonight rather than using that time to fit in a workout. So I dragged myself out of bed and went. And now I sit here typing this as Henry naps, and I feel both proud of myself and excited for tomorrow morning's workout. And you don't have to go to the gym either- take a walk outside, pop in an exercise dvd (see some of my favorites here), or do some yoga. The more you get moving, the easier it gets.

3. Do it for you.  Really think about the fact that eating well and exercising regularly has such a great pay off in the long run. Making a change today results in feeling good today. You'll sleep better, you'll look better, and you'll probably be happier too. Show your body respect in the choices you make with food and exercise, try to get outside as much as possible, and make it a point to do something active everyday.  When I feel like I'm too tired and lazy to go to the gym, I remind myself that I'll feel even more sluggish if I don't go.  If I feel like I just want to sleep in in the mornings, I tell myself that I can go to bed a little earlier tonight so tomorrow morning will be easier. It's not always easy, but on the hard days when I push past my own negative talk and make good choices I feel even better knowing I overcame it.

I've talked about all of these things before, but I definitely needed a reminder this morning, so I thought I'd touch on some of it again. My wish for this new year is that we all get a little healthier and accept ourselves a little more...and all of that starts with today. 

Happy getting-healthy! xoxo

32 comments:

  1. I just got back to working out yesterday after not doing so in almost a year (I know, horrible)... It felt so good! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I love the feeling of a new year, like it's a blank page. But change is a process. You have to make the choice to change every single day. And if you slip up, tomorrow is a blank page, not next year, next month, or next week! When I make resolutions I always try to keep them vague and open ended, that way they are always achievable, and not just another place to count my failures. Thanks for the positive inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so inspiring. I will definitely be linking this on my Links to Love post this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this! Seriously this is me right now, for the past few months I was working out every day and eating healthy... then the holidays (dun dun dunnnnn) made me lazy for about a month and a half. I started back up at the end of December and I will defiantly be using these motivation tips :) also I must say I absolutely love all of your writing and HelloGiggles posts, always a great read!
    -K

    feelingabovetheweather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo! I could use this. I'm hoping to start working out more often once we're in Sata Fe...we'll see! Thanks for this list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your tips! I have been eating a lot healthier and working out more. I joined a fitness challenge with my Mom to keep motivated and to have a group to be accountable to- so far, I am loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post. Last year I did all this talk about fitness, but I never stuck to it long enough to see results. I hope by the end I this year I can say "I DID this..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always struggle with working out, I feel like there's better things to do, things that I ACTUALLY wanna do :( This is a great post though!

    http://madnessanmusings.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-im-loving-minty-green.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the motivation! I had a really unhappy semester this fall, and as a result, I started eating junk and not going to the gym. I've realized that I want to make this semester better, I'm the only person who can make it happen. Even when I can't possibly imagine getting to the gym before class, I'll just remind myself of how much better and more productive I'll be if I do, and it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you posted this today. I really need to be reminded. We joined a gym and I'm only on my second week and want to quit. I am so out of breath and it actually HURTS to workout right now. But I need to keep going.

    I'm not even trying to lose weight. I'm doing this to help with depression! So I'm going tonight no matter how much I don't want to. I feel like eventually it has to pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really needed to read this today after a bit of a false start last week, I totally let the good eating habits slide at the weekend and felt angry at myself for doing so. Thank you Danielle, I love your positive out look on life and read your blog regularly. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! This is exactly what I needed to read today, especially #3. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On the very rare occasion that I can convince myself to workout in the morning verses at night, I am always super stoked to have my evening wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes to number 3! I think it's awesome that you regularly work out - I do too, and it makes me feel great. I'm also a morning workout person!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this great motivation inducing post!! I've just started a blog to aid my fitness regime and weight loss, but have been trying to diet over the last 2 years, and I think the "new year feeling" gave me the little push I needed and am determined to lose the weight once and for all!

    Reading this post made me feel motivated and positive - which is what I need at the moment!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. hej dani, here is stef from magnoliaelectric, i've promised you via instagram to send you a picture of a boy i know who looks similiar to your husband. it was very difficult to find pictures with the same faceexpressions and i have to say in reality there are not so much differences and he is much younger, but here are 3 pictures: http://i40.tinypic.com/280lj05.png

    lovely greetings from austria,
    stef.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you're such an inspiring person!
    I'm not usually interested in working out cos I'm one of them people that can eat a lot and get away with it but this makes me want to!
    I would totally love to have you as a best friend ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post Danielle, I think we can all use the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm currently struggling with this urge because I'm 29 weeks pregnant. Prior to pregnancy I was teaching yoga, personal training a friend and constantly challenging myself. I can't wait to get back into that but at the moment I have to be content to listen to my bodies need for rest ( regardless of how much I'm craving that post work-out high )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just what I needed to read today! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Danielle! I really needed to read/hear this today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome, awesome post. I needed an extra push today. :) Thanks, lady!

    I lovvvve Spotify. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Danielle! I am of the "don't want to get out of bed" variety and the visualization tip really helps. Totally going to use that the next time my bed is trying to keep me in it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. somehow your motivation posts always get me going. thanks for the inspiration boost. it felt great to get back into a zumba class after 2 months off!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is just the inspiration i needed to show a friend of mine! can't wait to send her the link!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think we all need a reminder sometimes :) thanks for the tips! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a great post! Just the inspiration I needed! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have also just started my new life and getting into those healthy habits. I love the inspirations! They are great things to keep in mind. I like to say I am an active person but I find it difficult to find the passion for going to the gym everyday. I have started taking ballet and tap classes. I have also taken up rock climbing. I find more motivation to remain active when I am striving for strength and improvements in my skill set versus a nice bod. Any other active hobbies that anyone can suggest??

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your positive attitude is so awesome, Danielle! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tips. How do you find motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like getting off your butt? I ask myself this question every now and then, and I have the feeling I’m not the only one.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips