Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lessons from Henry



By nature I'm a bit of a multi-tasker. A rusher. A to-do list checker. I often find myself trying to get more than one thing done at a once, manage my time efficiently, and make it so at the end of the day I can sit back and say to myself, "yes, I've done it all" (note: this rarely happens).

This isn't always a good thing though, and in the past I've found myself so focused on "what's next" that I failed to notice everything that was right in front of me. Having a child made me realize this more than ever. I see the way Henry takes it all in; to him the whole world is new and exciting. A sunset is not just a sunset- his eyes widen at all of the beautiful colors in our Arizona sky. On our walks he's looking all around. Everything is interesting- the ducks in the pond, the way the water shimmers in the sun, the sound of a plane as it flies by.

Thanks to Henry I'm reminded everyday to take a step back and appreciate the small beauties in life, rather than rushing by them to get to the next thing.  Just the other night I looked outside to see Hank and Henry, looking up at the moon in the backyard. They stood there in perfect silence, Henry pointing upward, and I thought about how lucky we are to have this little person in our life to remind us to enjoy all of these often overlooked moments.

20 comments:

  1. Aww, that photo is so precious! I always try to remind myself to take things in and to be grateful for the things I have, and the lovely things I'm surrounded with. I grew up in the country, so living literally a minute from the beach is something mine & my husband's little cousins only dream about.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So True! I also have a little Henry and he also forces me to slow down! Nice blog! Im a new subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. I was thinking of this today when babysitting our friends little boy. For him putting objects into other things than having them fall out again had him astounded for hours. So simple, such wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that kids can do that for you. Such a lovely little family you have, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make my heart melt all the time. I'm always thinking of 'next' not 'now', I have to remember to step back and take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart melts pretty regularly reading beatiful mama posts....but it melts even more when I read, or see, little kids with their father...I don't know what it is...but it's just heart melting :)

    Love the picture and the thought of that view (of henry and hank together)

    xoxoxo
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful photograph. Such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Danielle. I often find myself thinking the same thing. I am a to-do list maker and constantly trying to cross things off my list. I also love to take pictures - and I find, especially with this particular hobby, that I need to step back and really enjoy the moment in front of me, instead of trying to capture the perfect picture. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES, times a million. I think about this a lot. Being present is so hard sometimes but so worth it in the end. I don't want to realize years from now I was too busy taking care of business to actually enjoy this really great life of mine. Love this post, and especially loved the picture. Sweeter than sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo is so touching - and I agree, though I myself do not have a child there is something so inspiring in the way kids look at the world and soak it all in.


    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great perspective. Children really do have a fresh and new way of looking at things. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so sweet! it's hard to remember to slow down & take things in. kids really do have an awesome way of making us remember how to find the wonder in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! I adore the photo of Hank and Henry. Your so lucky to have them in your life!

    Marja,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome Danielle! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely as always! that picture is awesome too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Danielle! :-)

    It's amazing how sometimes we learn from the most unexpected situations. It's nice to know that sometimes, we really have to take a little break and appreciate everything that life has to offer. Sometimes, we really tend to be so occupied with other things that we take for granted the little things that still have so much meaning to us. :-)

    Have a lovely Monday!


    xoxo
    Ida

    Come over my blog to enter the My Memories Suite Scrapbook software giveaway. :-)
    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com/2012/01/amazing-giveaway-my-memories-suite.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Slowing down is def one of the many things our little ones teach us! Great picture of daddy and Henry by the way!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips