Thursday, February 9, 2012

A little update...and a little sugar!

henrywrangling

I call this one, "baby-wrangling" or, "I can't get my 15-month old to take a photo. Ever."

It's Thursday afternoon and Henry and I just got back from a long walk around the neighborhood. It's unseasonably warm today so it was nice to take advantage of our lovely fake-spring weather and spend some time at the park. We almost always get a big March snowstorm so I'm not going to get too comfortable in this great weather just yet, even though I want to! This week has just flown by, and I am so excited about this weekend. Like I mentioned a few days ago we have three newly-turned-30 friends to celebrate and Saturday is going to be a busy but fun day attending a few different birthday parties. Can't wait.

Other than that it's been a pretty typical week, if you add in a crazy, teething baby most days. Although there is one notable thing that went on...I decided that because I felt so good, I would eat some dark chocolate (with sea salt, mind you. AKA the best chocolate in the world) so I did. You get that logic? I feel fantastic so I decide to indulge in the one thing I stopped eating, causing me to feel fantastic. Makes total sense, right? ha. But really, it was delicious, and I ate a whole bar and a half. AH! And I totally felt terrible afterward, not because I ate it, but because I hadn't had sugar in so long that it made me feel sick and almost hung-over in a way.  It was really interesting though because it made me realize that I absolute want to keep up with eating this way, and totally validated me doing so. But at the same time, that chocolate was the best chocolate I've ever had (food just tastes so much better these days) and I am going to treat myself when I want it...just not eat a million pounds of it.

So other than my great chocolate indulgence of 2012 life is good. Today is one of my best friend's birthday (love you Suki!), the weather is gorgeous, we got in some exercise and park time, and we're paying a visit to Hank's Grandma tonight. It's a great day and I am looking forward to curling up with a new book tonight. I'm going to choose one from my Amazon recommendations and I'm really excited- I've been looking forward to it all day actually. Oh, my thrilling life! ;)

xoxo

22 comments:

  1. Oh, what book?! I'm between books right now and excited to pick from the stack of books that keeps staring at me and judging me for catching up on the pile of magazines that's been neglected as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I know that feeling! When we cut fast food out of our diets, I felt completely amazing. And then we went on a little road trip and indulged in some A&W, and we both felt absolutely awful. It definitely fuels you to continue eating the yummy, healthy stuff though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know the feeling! after cutting sugar out of my diet for just one week, i felt so full after one little cupcake. i didn't even really WANT it but had it anyways ;)

    henry is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're so cute! I think sea salt makes anything better. Choclate, caramel, problem skin...it's just all around a good thing. You should do another books post. You always have great recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll agree with Larissa, I wish you would give us some more book recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been good and not followed along with the diet but yesterday I ate a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies and today the whole family is sick... could be sugar karma! Very impressed by your will power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's on your reading list? I'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm considering cutting back on sugar - if not the naturals then at least processed sugars! I feel healthier that way anyway, so maybe i'll actually be able to stick to it! So great to hear that it works for you :)

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I decided to cut out starches and sweets for two weeks. I am on day four. I am....ummm, surviving. I may have had a minor (massive) emotional meltdown yesterday because I wanted to eat some damn pasta. The weird thing is, I wasn't even hungry. I feel like this detox is making me realize that my eating habits are more "comfort" related than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how fast your body adapts and decides it doesn't want it anymore, it's a shame our heads are so slow to catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Henry is getting so big! I can hardly stand it... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I's posts like these that I love! :)

    It's amazing how your taste changes when you can't have something for a while, don't you think. Years ago I was a big time coke drinker (my teenage years)....when I got diagnosed with crohns desease and had to go to the hospital for the first time, I couldn't really eat anything and I drank massive amounts of pure water. I was in there for about 2 weeks. Eating only the ickiest hospital food (no seasoning at all) and only drinking water.
    The day I was released from the hospital I went home and poured me a big glass of lemon ice tea (the unhealthy icky kind) I took a sip and almost threw up. It was so disgustingly sweet and just undrinkable.

    I've never been a big sweet beverage friend since.

    It made me realize how sensitive our taste actually is. But because we eat and drink so much processed and sugary stuff our body gets used to it and we need even more to just taste it.

    I like my home cooked unprocessed goods. And nothing gets better then an unsweetened tee or homemade unsweetened Iced tee for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is too cute! :) My baby Fredo is like that, he never stays still ever! Oh and that chocolate is amazing, I love any chocolate with salt. SO YUMMY!

    xoxo, Jjanga
    www.sayhelloandsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just recently I had sea salt mixed in with my brownie and oh my word. SO GOOD!

    P.S. LOVE your shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear the weather is nice where you are. It has been unseasonably warm the majority of winter here in Florida. Oh, chocolate & sea salt is amazing together!

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    Also, what book did you end up reading?

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh no, a bar and a half!!! haha. i can imagine you didn't feel good ;) i always tell myself moderation is the key. have a great weekend.

    keep me posted on what book you choose.

    xoxo
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was warm + beautiful here, but now it's freezing + rainy again...WAIT it's SNOWING :( Enjoy it! After not eating sugar for a week I've been craving it like crazy. I can't imagine how you feel, haha. I bet it was amazing. My mom gave me a box of chocolates last night for Valentine's Day. I had to refrain from eating the whole box, haha. Just kidding. I only ate 4 wonderful pieces. I agree that's it's a good thing to give yourself a treat every now + then.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I've so been there! I've been sugar free for a while and I totally treat myself once in a while - usually with dates. They make me feel a bit average afterwards, but at least I know why, and I enjoy them when I'm eating them. It's both a nice reminder of why I'm doing it to help keep me on track and empowering to know that you can help yourself NOT feel bad or tired by eating good food.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you still want to be able to treat yourself than I suggest you check out the cookbook, Babycakes by Erin McKenna! She has a lot of great recipes that are vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free. It's one of my favorite cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohmy, an entire bar? and even more? wow, Dark chocolate (70 or 80%) is so rich to me that if i eat more than a third of a bar i get a weird kind of headache, not feeling weird in the belly like with sweet sweets. I nearly never eat candy but a lot of white bread, pasta and cinnamonbuns, so no wonder you felt nasty after no sugar at all.
    I do think treats are ok though, once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is great and your Kid is looking very beautiful and you are also looking good and your tattoo suits you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips