Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Love Stories: Christina & Patty

Over the next few days leading up to Valentine's Day, I'll be sharing super sweet love stories from around the internet. I hope you enjoy reading them!  First up are the adorable Christina and Patty, who are a married couple from California. Be sure to stop by each of their blogs (Christina // Patty) and say hello, and you can also follow Christina and Patty on Twitter.  Both of these women are incredibly fascinating and their online spaces are wonderful. Fun fact- did you know that Patty was the drummer for Hole? Awesome.



photo by Brett Gurewitz

How did you and your partner meet, Christina? How long have you been together? When did you know he/she was "the one?"

This is not exactly a simple question! We met several times over about 15 years before we actually started dating. Back in the 90's, we met at a mutual friends' birthday party (Jorjee Douglass...another Hello Giggles writer!!)...but Patty doesn't remember! We met again in about 2000, I was freshly broken up from a long term relationship and Patty was dating someone else...She was actually moving into a house with her girlfriend and their room-mate was a really good friend of mine...so I was over at their house all the time. I had a HUGE crush on her, but couldn't really act on it, since she was taken.

We kept in touch over the years, but it wasn't until early 2005 that we really started hanging out again. She had just ended a relationship, but I thought she had a girlfriend...so we hung out a lot, but I never considered our outings "dates" since I thought she was taken. Then at the end of the summer, once I realized was broken up with her girlfriend, we went to a music fair, the Sunset Junction, in our neighborhood...and that was our first date.

We got married three years later, on the anniversary of our first date, August 30, 2010. (Here's a link to our wedding on Snippet & Ink).  It was legal in California to get married for a short time, and we got married in that window! The news of prop 8 being overturned is just in time for Valentines Day! Hopefully soon everyone can marry the one they love...

I knew she was the one from the moment I met her...I was patiently waiting for over 10 years!



photo by Chris Strother

 What's a typical weekend like for the two of you? How about a date night?

Now that we have a 16 month old daughter, weekends revolve around her and family activities....we love going to fun places around Los Angeles like Kidspace, Descanso Gardens, Drum Circle at Remo, and we usually spend every Saturday morning at the Silver Lake Farmers Market near our house.

Honestly...we haven't had a proper date night since Beatrice has been born! But we're working on it. We really just want to go out to dinner or maybe a movie, so daring!



photo by Ana Grillo

 What makes your relationship work? Or in other words, what's your secret to a long-term, loving relationship? Any advice?

Acceptance, patience, communication, community, focusing on what's really important and HUMOR---a few things that make our relationship work!

Acceptance of each other's quirks and imperfections...we both know that we are only human and that we are going to make mistakes.

Patience, especially now with our daughter is so important. Jeez...we've been patiently waiting for a date night for over a year now! But when I'm tempted to rush something before it's time, I remember that everything will work itself out in time.

Communication of our needs and our desires...we really are both committed to communicating to each other if an issue arises. Sometimes it's not easy, but it's always worth it.

Community is so important to us...our friends and our support system are crucial. We want Beatrice to be surrounded by love...we have an amazing village that has helped us with our wedding, when Beatrice was born and with all our creative endeavors. It's so important to us to be active in our community and to support our friends and family as well...We have so much to be grateful for and we want to share our gifts and our abundance with others...from volunteering on Thanksgiving to participating in charity events like Pablove (a charity fighting childhood cancer with love run by our dear friends)...all of that helps us have a strong relationship with each other as a family and builds bonds in our community.

"How important is it?" I ask myself that question when I'm tempted to get upset with Patty about a household chore that hasn't been done. Really focusing on the important things in life like our family, community and spending time with Beatrice help avoid squabbles over trivial things. The dishes will get done eventually (patience!)...

And above all: HUMOR...we love to laugh and have a good time. Laughter is really the best medicine...Patty and I have shared so many laughs over the years...seeing her smile always makes my heart melt. And seeing Beatrice laugh and smile is the most amazing gift.

When I think about the "secret" to a long term relationship for us, I think about our family. We really want to instill these values in our daughter, and we want her to see the beauty and lightness in the world. We want our relationship to serve as an example to her: two people who love and respect each other and live life to the fullest....

photo by Planet Swan

48 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I don't comment on blogs very often, but I can't resist telling you how happy this post made me! What a beautiful couple, and great timing with the Prop 8 overturn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post! Such a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! What sweet little family. And what a great idea for a post series, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful post! and what a wonderful family ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just made my day. It's so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is great. Thank you so much for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle, your blog always makes me smile and remember to focus on the positive things in life. Thank you! And thanks for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, love this... LOVE THIS!!! <3 Christina and Patty, and their sweet little Beatrice have so many warm wishes coming my way. And yay for another couple who says humor is important. It REALLY is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful. Thank you, Danielle. I love reading about same-sex families that are raising children, especially with values like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable couple. Oh and the drummer of Hole?! Had you told my sixteen year old self that and I'm sure I would have died on the spot (not literally!). x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes my heart smile and it angers me that people actually dedicate their lives to trying to prevent others from feeling this happiness. Yet those same people watch celebrities literally make marriage out to be a joke. Thanks for sharing this sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This warms my heart! My sister is a young member of the LGBT community and while I'm not sure she's the marrying or child-having type (right now at least,) seeing this and the happiness they share makes me so excited for her future! It gives me confidence that things are better than they used to be and it'll continue to get better.<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the features that you think up! This one was so sweet! I love their wedding photo, and their daughter is just adorable.

    I have been searching everywhere on your blog... maybe I just imagined it. I thought you had a feature which was all about people's jobs and what they do. They were so inspirational.

    I love that the people who contribute to your blog are so passionate about who and what they are -- about what road their lives will take. I am looking for that opporutnity in my own life, and am so inspired by the stories of others that have been lucky enough to do and be exactly what their passion is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So exiting to read about patty years after she was part of one of my favorite bands as a teen! great beguining to a what should be a great series :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You already know how I feel about reading others love stories! :) great series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also, to macchiatolove's comment above, the feature you are talking about is her 9-5 feature. Search for 9-5 and you should come up with some :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I knew it was here somewhere. I'll check it out :)

      Delete
  17. This is such a heart warming post!
    What a sweet story they have.
    Amy X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Danielle, thank you for sharing this love story <3. Waking up to my email from the HRC saying prop 8 was overturned made me smile ear to ear. LOVE you for sharing this and LOVE that I just found two new blogs to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was wonderful! What a beautiful family. And Beatrice is the cutest little angel, I just want to squeeze her! That picture of her with her little arms in the air - I died. So much love and beauty in the world. Thank you so very much for sharing. This absolutely made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely couple. Heres to hoping everyone gets the right to marry sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, so bad ass that Patty was the drummer for Hole!!! Second, I love what they said about accepting each others quirks and imperfections. I feel like those are the things that make my relationship with my husband work as well. And their daughter is just do beautiful. Their story is really romantic too. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this. So incredibly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing this, Danielle.
    I really hope that everyone, in this world, gets the right to marry the one who loves and start a family if is what their heart desire. In Italy seems so far away..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing post...inspirational ladies... thank you so much for sharing this! I am very much looking forward this series leading up to Valentines Day x

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful family and I like the love story idea in time for valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great story! I loved reading this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A beautiful couple with a beautiful daughter. SO lovely! I need to remember to step back and stop myself before getting upset about stupid things! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the most beautiful post to date <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dani, you always have the most uplifting series ideas! Yay for this couple. Yay for the Prop-8 overturn, Yay for Love and Yay for you!! I now have a serious hankering to whip out the old Hole albums! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Their love is so strong, you can just tell by their photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay! This series is going to be so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great story and great feature :)I just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this feature!

    What Christina said about asking herself how important something is has reminded me I need to do the same, more often. Little things are not worth sweating it over!

    Also, Beatrice is so adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great feature! I love the question about what makes their relationship work. Her answer was perfect and I look forward to reading more! Oh and Beatrice....it hurts me how adorable she is!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful post celebrating love!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome post... Thank you for sharing Patty & Christina...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beatrice is such a sweet name (not to mention an adorable baby!!). This is such a great feature -- I look forward to following it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a beautiful story and these women are beautiful and their family is beautiful and oh my...thank you for sharing. Also, I got some good ideas on where to take my 2 year old when I'm in LA next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so beautiful! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow...thanks to each one of you for your sweet and amazing comments! we are so honored to be a part of this series! thanks!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is heart melting. I totally resonate with asking what's really important and yes, laughing is key!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips