Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tattoo Tuesday V.110



Name and blog name: Izabelle and my blog is Izznit
Age: Early twenties
Occupation: I am 1/3 of Boojiboo, an apron making trio.
Age of first tattoo: 18
Favorite tattoo: The one of Lily, my French bulldog. I got her two years ago and she’s been my muse ever since ;)
Featured tattoo/location: Dagger of doom on my left forearm.
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Eric Jones of Palehorse Tattoo. He currently works at Torch Tattoo in Anaheim, California.


1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story about why you chose it, or maybe a special meaning? 

I don’t suffer (tolerate) fools. Life is too short for that and there are so many other things I’d rather be doing. It’s pretty straight forward but so am I.
Of all my tattoos this is the one that gets the most attention. After I answer the usual “what does it mean?” I either get a laugh or a puzzled look. I’ve actually offended someone with my explanation so now I answer in a happy voice. A smile is sometimes thrown in to mess with their mind ;).

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

All but two of the ones pictured are from Eric Jones. The blue owl on my right bicep was done by Lindsey Carmichael of Goldrush Tattoo in Costa Mesa, CA. The girl on my right shin was done by Valerie Vargas of Frith St. Tattoo in London.
The swallow with the scissors represents my love for sewing. I learned when I was eight and went to fashion school after uni. I don’t blog about it much but sewing is a major part of my life and what I’m best at.
The ship tattoo on my right arm has a banner that reads, “all is fine”. It’s something my Dad likes to scream when things are NOT fine.














3) Do you plan on getting more? 

Definitely! The next will probably go in my other armpit. The only parts I won’t tattoo for now are my face, neck and hands, everything else is fair game. I like that I can wear a sweater with jeans and appear tattoo-less.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? 

My mom wasn’t happy when I surprised her with my first but now she feels badass by association (her words, not mine)! My Dad is the complete opposite. Born and raised in China he always associated tattoos with the triads, drugs, and prison. He’s still not pleased with them but no longer rants when shown a new one, I get a wordless nod instead. Baby steps. My sister loves them and has a few herself. My two brothers like tattoos on other people but not on themselves (how many of you have heard that before?).

For the most part my friends are OK with my tattoos. I wouldn’t say they’re supportive but they’re not negative.

Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

I’ve become pretty used to the negative comments and try to not let them phase me. “They obviously don’t have standards here” was one of the first said to my face and was a heck of an eye opener. I’ve also been ignored by sales associates at boutiques because they didn’t think I’d buy anything. Looking back though, all the negative encounters left me with a greater appreciation for my tattoos. They’re wonderful people filters.

The positive experiences outnumber the negative ones tenfold. One of my favorites involved an older woman at the grocery store. She followed me through the aisles for a while and when she finally caught me at the register said, “I thought why would a girl do that to her body but then I saw it said Mom and went awww! Just goes to show you can’t judge a book by its cover.”



5) What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? 

I was sitting outside a coffee shop when an older man approached and told me about his stint in the navy. The best part about this already awesome encounter was his outfit though—blue polo tucked into his white Bermuda shorts, aviators (the shiny reflector kind), and A CAPTAIN’S HAT.

6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Fame doesn’t indicate quality, be patient, and a good tattoo is always worth the wait.

33 comments:

  1. what beautiful ink! love that she has a tattoo of her pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tattoos of folks pets make me so happy. Lily is divine. Great tatts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dog is amazing and the tattoos are gorgeous.. great post!

    http://lovelyelizasblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love izabelle and lily's blog! this is the first time i've ever gotten a good look at her beautiful work. and i like the idea of tattoos as being 'people filters.' if someone is going to judge based on the way you look, who wants to be friends with them anyway? great interview <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful girl, beautiful ink ♥
    Loved reading this ITW, thank you so much !!!
    xoxo Moïra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what beautiful tattoos! That one of her pup is fantastic. That comment about the elderly lady was so sweet. Izabelle you are a complete babe and I want to steal your dog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad is so similar in this reaction to seeing more tattoos on me.

    Love your tattoos - I adore the tiger. Arm pit tattoos are freaking awesome, but I don't think I can face the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tattoo of your dog. If I can ever afford it, my next tattoo will be of my little guy also :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful tattoos. I'm Korean and my mom never approved of my first tattoo but by now she is starting to get used to it. My younger sister wants one so bad but is scared of what my mother will think.


    xoxo, Jjanga
    www.sayhelloandsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Fame doesn't indicate quality." Best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "They're wonderful people filters."

    THIS. YES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful!
    and i love the quote "they're wonderful people filters." YES.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "They're wonderful people filters."
    I don't have any tattoos but my husband does and I adore that statement. People have asked me, "Do you just make him keep his shirt on or...?" and said "You're a real saint. I just would not put up with that."
    Side note, your armpit tattoo is lovely but makes me cry. I imagine that being the worst pain known to man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Tattoos are wonderful people filters."
    Amazing!
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her tattoos! The crown on her chest is so unique for a chest piece, totally love it!

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved her Etsy store forever. It's so awesome to put a face to the store. And the tattoo of her dog just rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow wow wow. Armpit tattoo. Wow.

    Its so true about being able to use tattoos as a people filter. I work in the service industry (coffee shop) and have all walks of life come in. I like to turn on my Southern charm and negate the stereotype that a lot of people so obviously have! : )

    Thanks for featuring Izabelle (and her sweet little pooch)! She's kind of inspired me to get a portrait of my pup Maddy done!

    mybillie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is it me or does every west coast girl have the exact same work? Is there anyone in CA that is covered in anything other than owls, ships, people w/animal heads on their heads, cupcakes, lockets, nesting dolls or something to do with sewing? Are you going to be upset in 20 years when you realize you covered yourself in ink because it's trendy?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful tattoos! I've been tattooed by Eric Jones twice now and can't wait to go back for my next :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely tattoos.
    Your puppy is the cutest. pup. ever.
    xx. Jillian
    boyishchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I think this is my favorite tattoo tuesday yet. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another thumbs up for the people filters quote, love that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also I may just have to buy myself an apron, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahh, amazing tattoos! I really like the general color palette/tones when seen from a bit of a distance, if that makes any sense. I'm also gonna have to side with everyone else- I love the people filters quote, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good tips in the article for diet and exercise. I'm glad to see that it focused on diet and exercise as a coordinated effort. to add to the article, It would also be beneficial to determine how many calories your body burns and how many calories you should eat per day. Then you would have some accuracy in adjusting your diet for weight gain or loss. I have found an online calculator that will tell you how many calories your body is burning and how many calories you should eat per day. For anyone interested the calculators are located at How to Gain Weight. This could help you to know how to adjust your diet to either gain weight or lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great collection! All so beautiful, bright and clean!


    www.looselips-sinkships.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Her tattoos are absolutely beautiful. Wow. I love all the color. And her dog is the cutest thing I have ever seen - love the photo of her in a hat, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this, Izabelle has every tattoo I would put on myself... ;) Im working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous, I love them all (owl may be my fave). It makes me so sad that people are treated badly for having tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Followed Izznit over here from her blog-- love her ink & her craftiness & her photography. I looked back through your tattoo tuesday posts. I would love to see you feature someone over the age of 30 or so-- someone who still looks good in their ink & wears it with pride even though they're no longer 21. Not trying to say anything negative about the beautiful people you've featured, not at all. Just wishing to see the "grown folks" represented, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete