Wednesday, March 21, 2012

LA Girls' Trip

I spent this past weekend in California with two of my favorite girls and had a wonderful, fun, and relaxing time. We stayed at the Thompson Beverly Hills, and after a weird "your reservation was somehow canceled by someone" situation, it turned out to be a great hotel (although they handled the situation very strangely...but that's a story for another day). Anyway, Anita, Andy and I flew into LAX and met at our rental car place before heading over to The Thompson, and it was so fun to have a reunion, since the last time the three of us were together was Las Vegas back in October when we took a girls' trip with a few more of our friends. I talk to Andy and Anita every single day- they have both become two of my closest friends and it was fantastic to be able to spend the weekend catching up in person.

After we got to the hotel and got settled we headed out to Real Food Daily for dinner. I've heard so much about this place and I was really excited to try it. I ordered the BLT wrap (all of their food is organic and vegan) and it was SO good. Really, really delicious and we all loved our meal. I highly recommend it, and I was so sad Hank and Henry weren't there to enjoy it too! After dinner we drove around LA and Hollywood for awhile; we did the Walk of Stars, checked out all of the touristy stuff, and oohed and ahhed over the beautiful homes up in the hills. We ended our night at Sweet Lady Jane's, a Hollywood bakery, and ordered a ton of desserts to split. The best of the group was the Key Lime tart...it was to-die-for.

The next morning we woke up and went to Toast for breakfast. It was also really, really good. We spent the rest of the day shopping in the rainiest weather and although we were soaked to the bone it was a fun time. After lunch I had a little meeting regarding some blog business, then later in the afternoon I started to feel really tired so I napped for a couple hours while the girls stayed out. They came back later to wake me up before dinner, and we headed out the door to El Cholo, our Mexican restaurant pick for the night.

(Are you noticing a theme here? Shop, eat, shop, eat! It was my kind of trip!)

Dinner was traditional Mexican food and my favorite part was probably the guacamole they made right at our table. We all loved it, but Andy started to feel a little sick afterward so Anita and I dropped her off at the hotel and headed over to Magnolia to pick up some cupcakes to go. We'd both experienced Magnolia in NYC before and weren't the hugest fans, and these treats unfortunately proved no different. I really love cake, but Magnolia has disappointed me a couple of times. We did get some cookies though that were great. We spent the rest of the night girl-talking and hanging out, enjoying our last night of vacation together.

The next morning we went to Swingers and ate great diner food, then did Fred Segal and a few other shops, and ended our afternoon with In-N-Out since Andy doesn't have one up in Seattle.  My flight home ended up being canceled due to the crazy snow we got, so I got on Anita's flight and we flew home to Phoenix.

I can't say enough how much fun this past weekend was. I feel lucky to have such wonderful girls in my daily life, and I also feel lucky to be able to have weekends away like this. And as much as I love going on fun trips with my girlfriends, nothing beats coming home to my boys.

Here are some random Instagram photos from the weeekend.

Picnik collage1
Picnik collage4
2
Picnik collage9
Picnik collage11
Picnik collage3
Picnik collage
Picnik collage7
Picnik collage10
Picnik collage8

45 comments:

  1. That looks like such a fun time!
    I just had a similar weekend with a couple of girlfriends last week, it is such a great time isnt it?!
    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay Amy! Where did you go?

      Delete
    2. We had an amazing weekend going all around Melbourne, cupcake shops, Mexican food, Chinese dumplings and roof top bars! Such fun!

      Delete
  2. Are you back to eating sugar again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I am, especially on trips and special occasions, but in my day to day life I'm eating a lot less than I was. Thinking back I can't believe I thought I might give it up forever. It's just too good. Pinkberry especially. ;)

      Thanks for reading!
      xo
      Danielle

      Delete
  3. Eh, this looks like the most fun trip E.V.E.R!

    Shop, Eat, Shop, Eat...Heaven!

    Glad you enjoyed your break AND we feeling good enough to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I was really nervous when I left that I would still feel sick so I'm grateful I was a-okay! :)

      Thanks Louise! <3

      Delete
  4. great photos! looks like you ladies had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...you ladies are so cute! I can't wait for my girls trip coming up!!!

    Cheers,
    Messy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Where are you going on your trip?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! I had been a few times but never really experienced it- I had so much fun and definitely love it too.

      Delete
  7. WOW!!! what a dream! Girls trips are the best and this one looks like it was perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. :) Thanks lady!

      Delete
  8. great post! I'll be in La this August and will consider these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! Definitely do Real Food Daily. It's so, so delicious.

      Delete
  9. That looks like the best trip ever! I've never been to California. I think it would be so much fun. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rae! You definitely need to go sometime. I think you'd love it! :D

      Delete
  10. oh, i used to eat at the el cholo in la habra! my 80 year old great aunt is a regular there haha. and swingers has such a cool vibe. looks like you had a blast ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool about your grandma! I loved the old school vibe the restaurant had. And Swingers was so awesome...my breakfast was delicious! :)

      Delete
  11. That sounds like such a fantastic weekend away! I'm definitely inspired to do something like this every so often once I have kids. The pictures are wonderful too - all that food looks sooo delicious, especially the desserts and Pinkberry! :) Also, love your colored skinnies! I just bought some in very similar colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelsea!
      The Pinkberry was my favorite part- we had it everyday!
      <3

      Delete
  12. sounds like you had a great time! it's making me look forward to my girls trip to vegas (in 3 weeks!) even more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Have SO much fun! I'm excited for you. Where are you staying?

      Delete
  13. I wish I could go on trips like that!
    Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should treat yourself and go on a little trip! Thanks for reading lady! <3

      Delete
  14. You should've went to Sprinkles Cupcakes! They are THE BEST! Sounds like your trip was a lot of fun! Definitely the kind of trip I would plan too with all the shopping and eating ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sprinkles is so yummy but we have one down in Phoenix so we held off. I LOVE their vanilla with chocolate frosting. Yum.

      Delete
  15. I've been following on instagram :) Looks like you had a great time! I ♥ Cali. My mom + I went on a girls trip to Laguna this past year. We had a blast. I got to try Pinkberry for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i was so happy to see this post! i live in LA and work in/for Beverly Hills (http://twitter.com/LoveBevHills) so it's fun to see the city through your eyes. RFD is one of my very favorites. next time you return, try sprinkles instead of magnolia! they're awesome and now they have a vending machine (or "cupcake ATM" as they call it) for cupcakes accessible 24/7. ya know, for those 3am cravings if you have them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw I want to hang out with you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like so much fun! I love having a girls weekend with my friends. I have tried to give up sugar, too, but FroYo always brings me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. such fun! girl time is the best and often so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun! You should definitely check out DTLA next time you’re in LA. I feel like you were mostly on the West Side, which has a bunch of yummy restaurants and bakeries,(like toast) but downtown has a lot to offer too! Check out Bottega Louie next time you’re in town. I think you will like it. Amazing pizzas, and yummy cupcakes and macaroons! :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. My grandpa worked at El Cholo for years and years!
    Glad to hear you had a great trip.
    XO, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you posted about where you went! I often go to West Hollywood to visit my Dad and am always looking for new places to go. I love Swingers! If you haven't tried their black and white shake, definitely try it next time! It's amazing. And Toast has some of my favorite breakfast!
    I've never been to Fresh Food Daily and Sweet Lady Jane's so that's a must now. Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like such an awesome time. I really wish we had more frozen yoghurt places around here. By more I mean any would do me. Also I really wish you were my stylist you're just too cute to boot and always looking fly. Always fun to go away and eat great food with girlfriends. Did you ever end up getting your tattoo? I'm a bit behind on catching up on your blog so if you have posted this already please forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely time! I'm especially loving those macarons in the second to last shot! Mmm. Glad you got some girlfriend time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved all the pictures from your lovely trip...looks like you had a super FUN time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel the same way about Magnolia! I really don't understand all the fuss. I bake decently and feel like my baking is way better than their's!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You guys are adorable! I loved following the pictures on IG :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like an amazing trip, those food pictures looks so yummy! I've never tried Magnolia as we don't have it in the UK but it does seem very hyped! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like an amazing trip! LA never disappoints. My girlfriends and I had a weekend in Santa Cruz and had a wonderful and rainy shopping excursion also! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips