Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tattoo Tuesday V.113


Name and blog name: Amanda Johnson at Here's Looking at Me, Kid
Age: 26
Occupation: photographer and graphic designer
Age of first tattoo: 24
Favorite tattoo: inside of my right arm
Featured tattoo/location: Floral engraving on the inside of my right arm
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Jesse of Good Life Tattoos and Piercings in Akron, Ohio

1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story about why you chose it, or maybe a special meaning?

This tattoo doesn't have any meaning, and doesn't signify any special time in my life. A year before getting this piece done on my inner arm, I had found an antique floral engraving that I really liked, and re-pieced parts of it in Photoshop to trail along my arm how I wanted. I brought it in to Jesse to take a look at, and we sized it up to fit just right on my shoulder. The next year I decided that I wanted more of the engraving added further down on my arm, so I cut out and pieced together more of the engraving on Photoshop again, and Jesse did the rest.

2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

My tattoos might look like all one piece, but the part across my shoulder and upper arm was the first piece I ever had done, and a year later I had a coordinating piece done on the inside of my arm, not quite touching the original piece. I really like the antique engraving style, and plan on maintaining this look for my future tattoos- though I'm not sure if I'll be getting any more floral pieces done.

3) Do you plan on getting more?

For sure! Right now I'm pregnant, but am planning and saving for my next piece. It will probably be something on my left forearm, and I'll probably get it in another year- assuming my tattoo funds stay put.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos?

My husband doesn't have a tattoo, but he's talked about maybe getting something on the inside of his upper arm. He's a teacher and a coach, so he spends time professionally in both long sleeves and sleeveless shirts. He would probably never get anything visible. As for me? You can tell I don't really care too much about tattoo visibility, considering how high my first tattoo sits on my chest. And I pay for that when I'm photographing Summer weddings. Most of the brides and grooms' families get really uncomfortable about a tattooed photographer traipsing about during their son or daughter's wedding ceremony. :) I did work for a while in a corporate office where they said they didn't mind if my tattoos showed, but I was pretty uncomfortable with the way people would stare at them in meetings or the hallways, so I decided on my own that I would be taken more seriously if I covered them up. Since those days, I'm very happy to be working for myself with nobody to gawk at me during meetings.

My family is very accepting of my tattoos, but my mom was depressed for probably a month when she first saw them. She is one of my best friends, and I knew it would be a big deal for her- even though it is my body. We had talked about them before I got the work done, and she said she was okay with it as long as I had thought it through, and that in the end it was my decision. Different story when it actually happened! But in the past two years, she has gotten used to them and isn't embarrassed so much by other people's reactions. I think it helps that when we are out together people usually tell me how they "don't normally like tattoos, but yours is so tasteful!" After dealing with my mom's horrible reaction, I was pretty nervous about how my grandpa would react too, so I spend a year covering up my tattoos around him. Finally, one Fourth of July, it was so hot I decided to just show up to our family picnic in a tank top. Grandpa walked up to me and started talking, while I held my breath waiting for his reaction. There never was one! I guess he doesn't really care about tattoos after all.


5) What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos?

The funniest experience was when I was rummaging through some old linens at the thrift store. I was wearing a pretty 1950's sundress and looked very put-together that day. An older lady, around 70 years old, joined me at the linens table and we began chatting about thrift stores and garage sales as we looked through doilies and tablecloths. When I turned around, and she got a look at my right shoulder and arm, she audibly gasped and put her hand to her mouth. I was confused at first, but then I saw her staring at my tattoo as she said, "Oooh! I had no idea.... Well!" And then she quickly waddled away. Oh to think that I had actually fooled her into thinking I was a nice girl! Good thing she saw my tattoos in time. ;)


6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Something I didn't think too much about when I got my first tattoo was how it would look under clothing. This might not be important to you, but for me, since the majority of my life is spent with clothes on, I want the parts of my tattoos that peak out from under a shirt or dress to looks pretty and purposeful, and not like bizarre alien extremities that live underneath my clothes. I've ruled out a couple of ideas for my forearm because I know the ends of them will look silly sticking out of my sleeves. So I'm saving those ideas for somewhere else on my body.


  1. Nice tattoos :)


  2. Oh wow, these are so pretty! Never seen any tattoos quite like these before, love the combination of femenine/tough.

  3. pretty tattoos..no i mean super pretty woow..


  4. I absolutely LOVE these tattoos, so different and unique, almost like its been sketched on. WOW. I'm interested to see what comes next though, what do you follow these up with?? Something totally different, colour maybe? Black and grey? I'm intrigued??


  5. these are probably some of the most beautiful tattoos ever.
    her advice about what tattoos look like under clothing is very important. i did not think of this when i got tattooed and depending on where my tshirt sleeves hit my arm, my tattoo can look funny peaking out.


  6. I don't have a tattoo. But I like to see the ones with flowers

  7. That is one of the prettiest and fashionable tattoos I've seen. Lovely.

  8. i love her tattoo~! i have wanted something like this for about a year now! i'm so glad that you spotlighted her this week! i found her blog in february of last year and told myself that if i could wait until my next birthday (march 21, 2012) that i could get something. and if i still liked my idea then i would do it. i don't want to end up with something that i don't like.

    i have a side piece that i love, but i can hide that one if i want. for me, and the industry i'm in, getting a sleeve would be a big risk. i also live in utah where people look at you differently if you have a tattoo... my fiance has two 1/2 sleeves and he gets the stares and the looks all the time. i need to be ready for that if i commit.

    great post!!

    drop by allister bee soon!

  9. wow what beautiful detail. Love these posts! Make my tattoo fever rocket though ;)

  10. I adore her tattoos, its has to be one of my favourites. So pretty!


  11. I love that floral design + the placement!! So beautiful!!

  12. well, it's nice to see some black work featured...

  13. I totally do that too! I am so *overly* conscious of where I put my tattoos. One of the main reasons I have tattoos on my arms, other than because I love them there, is because I like the way they look with a pretty sun dress and a big hat on a summer day. Some people thing it's bold to completely cover their arm (in my case!) before they tattoo anywhere else, but for me that worked.

    I love Amanda + her pretty outfit posts!

    xo, Meghan

  14. oh, i've seen your tattoo on pinterest and actually pinned it because it's so lovely!

  15. I think the floral work you choose is absolutely amazing..I have actually seen your photo on pinterest or tumblr..I recognized you right away because your art work is different and really stands out..beautiful!!

    I love the thrift shop story..lol!


  16. Lovely tattoos! I love that thrift store old lady reaction. That's too funny!

  17. That design is absolutely stunning! I love the all black, classy like black and white photography :]

    And I loved hearing her opinion about having tattoos and being a photographer at weddings and dealing with the families, etc. As a fellow pho.tog, I will definitely keep that in mind when planning my future tats.

    Excellent one this week!

  18. i sooooo love your tattoo. i'm still going back and forth if i should get one... maybe i should stop thinking!


  19. Thanks for having me, Danielle! It's an honor to be included amongst the other Tattoo Tuesday ladies and gents!

  20. I saw her tattoo on Tumblr so long ago and absolutely LOVED it, but of course there wasn't any credit. So glad to see her on Tattoo Tuesday!

  21. Your tattoos are GORGEOUS and totally flattering. Definitely LOLed at the reaction of the lady at the thrift shop. I'm still tattoo-less, but my sketches and plans for getting them are growing!

  22. I have always loved Amanda's tattoos. They are so simple and beautiful. xo, rv


  23. She is so gorgeous and I think her tattoos make her even prettier!

  24. OH! These are the most beautiful tattoos I've seen! Definitely my favorite Tattoo Tuesday (eventhough they all are gorgeous) :)

  25. I love seeing such beautiful women in tattoos. I have an appointment for my first one in 2 weeks and I can't wait. I just have the same issue as most people: my mother is going to be really upset when she sees it. But it's something that I need to do.

  26. I've been reading Mandi's blog for a while and I think that the floral pieces she has are probably the most beautiful and different tattoos I've ever seen.
    I only have a few small ones myself (two are hidden), but I'm put off getting more because the one I have on my chest interferes with jewellery and is difficult to cover up unless I go quite high up with my tops, the tattoo is at the top of my cleavage. The only really adverse reaction I've had to that one was when I was serving a lady at work once and a customers mother was telling her how horrible she thought my tatto was, and she was stood right in front of me, I couldn't believe it, so rude!
    Other than that I feel they are part of me now so let them talk, right?

  27. Her tattoos are so beautiful :]

  28. love seeing friends featured here!! great post mandi ;)

  29. Great interview, funny thing about the old lady :)

  30. That is one of the most beautiful floral tattoos I've ever seen. Absolutely love the style. <333

  31. Love these so much. And agree about the peeking-out-of-clothing thing, that's one of my biggest pieces of advice. My first one doesn't look like anything bad... it just doesn't really look like anything identifiable unless you can see the top half (of my thigh). Thought more about that the next time around, live and learn! I like the variety of the tattoos I have and have planned, but it sure is pretty having them all planned in the same style like she does, sigh!

  32. I really like the idea of stickig to one ... theme? or I don't know, aesthetic design. Same with when people JUST get traditional tattoos and only have like, black yellow and red everywhere. It's so striking.

    I have a friend who has a tattoo that (very unfortunately) looks like a penis coming out of his shirt when he wears long sleeves and rolls them up. Of course I think it's hilarous and he doesn't really care anymore but still...could have been planned out better.

  33. I love that she has something so unique! I've only seen one other tattoo based on an engraving and it was also really lovely! Something so appealing about this really graphic and bold style.

    I especially love the story of her interaction with the 70 year old lady at the thrift store. Too funny!

  34. I absolutely love your tattoos and found a few images of them a few months back on pinterest. I've actually used them as reference for my tattoo artist! I love the placement and feel of it. It's very close to what has been in my head for 2 years and finally was a visual I could share with her. I'm going to be adding some birds in mine in color but keeping the branches and flowers black and grey. So thank you, I was inspired and excited by your beautiful art work!!! April 19th is my big day :)

    I work in a corporate environment and fortunately they are so used to my other visible tattoos at this point that I don't think a new one will phase them. There are only one or two people who still give me a stink eye look :)

    I was disappointed one day when someone I had only talked to one the phone met me in person and said "oh wow look at your tattoos, you seemed so sweet on the phone..." DUDE! I am sweet! :) p.s. that person had her nose pierced so pot calling the kettle black if you ask me lol

  35. My mom, Dad and brother all have tattoos but I have never gotten one and don't intend on ever making the commitment. Its just not for me. I'm indecisive, prone to changing my mind and a needle whimp! Haha But I just want to say that your tattoo is the most beautiful one I have ever seen! E v e r! And I think its terrible that that older lady was so rude once she saw your tattoos. Why are people so mean and why do they think their opinions about your own body matter?! Meanies!
    Also: that first photo in the striped dress is lovely!!! :)

  36. That is one of the most beautiful and feminine tattoos I have ever seen!

  37. I absolutely love these tattoos. I kept seeing the pictures of your tats on Pinterest and google. It's awesome to see the person behind the tattoos :P

  38. Why people still use to read news papers when
    in this technological globe the whole thing is available on web?

    Here is my webpage waist to height ratio ranges


Blogging tips