Saturday, March 3, 2012

We were one tree and not two...

Family Photos, November 2011

This morning I woke up feeling so thankful for all of this beautiful-ness in my world. My family. The love that surrounds me. Opportunity. The ability I have to make changes, to move forward, and to live how I'd like. Freedom. And I got to thinking about how this one go-round is all about relationships- the connections we make with others- and I thought about all of the people in my life I consider the closest. So naturally I thought about Hank. I thought about what a good man he is, how kind-hearted he is, what a good father he is. I sat there for a minute, thinking about this husband of mine, lost in these lovely thoughts...and spilled hot tea all down the front of my chest. Ow. All happy thoughts flew out of my mind as a few curse words came flying out...but for a moment it was a beautiful. ;) Somewhere in there though I remembered this quote. I came upon it a few years back and I revisit it from time to time. It's about true love, and to me, it's perfect. And I think you'll like it too.

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."

-Louis de Bernières

28 comments:

  1. That quote is absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quote & that picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous morning - well, except for your tea accident! I know how you feel... Jen is like that for me. We're... Us. We're soul mates. In fact, though we're legally married, we also want a handfasting. WE know we are soul mates, but our handfasting will also legally bind our hearts, souls and spirits together. Some people think it's silly, some think it's serious... We think it's perfect.

    Also, AMAZING photography. Such a pretty pic!

    I hope your chest is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful quote, Captain Corelli's Mandolin is one of my favourite books.
    Love the picture, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used that quote during our wedding vows :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quote! Thanks for sharing this, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, what a beautiful quote! It made me smile and think of my love. :) Also, loving that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to start the day. This really puts love and life into perspective. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really is a perfect description of love! So glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love this. REALLY love this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we read that quote during our wedding ceremony. so true. lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quote is just lovely. Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quote and photo! Thanks for sharing,Danielle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post and love the quote :) Have a wonderful Sunday lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the quote is so inspiring... 'love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely quote! It made me feel all squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... I so needed to hear this quote today! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a beautiful quote, thank you for sharing it! i hope you're okay after your hot tea incident haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing quote! I am such a quote person and I've never read this one before so THANK YOU for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post - everything from the photo to your cute moment to that lovely quote! Going to go hug my hubby now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post made me tear up :) Love the quote and your words about Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Love isn't an act, it's a whole life. It's staying with her now because she needs you; it's knowing you and she will still care about each other when sex and daydreams, fights and futures -- when all that's on the shelf and done with. Love -- why, I'll tell you what love is: it's you at seventy-five and her at seventy-one, each of you listening for the other's step in the next room, each afraid that a sudden silence, a sudden cry, could mean a lifetime's talk is over."
    Brian Moore

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quote! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love everything about this post.

    thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips