Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Currently.

Untitled
our little shopping buddy, mesmerized by the birds chirping inside Lowe's.

Reading: The Lucky One. All of the classic and non-fiction books I love aside, I have a confession. I LOVE Nicolas Sparks books. Like really, really love them. These are the "fun" books I used to treat myself to in college and grad school when I got sick of the heavier reading, even though most of his books leave me crying into the pages. I like Sparks though because I know what I'm going to get, and I especially enjoy that his books usually get turned into movies I almost always end up loving too. This particular one is good too, so far! I'm only on Chapter 4 but enjoying it- his writing totally speaks to my sappy, cheesy side which, let's face it, makes up much more than just a side.

Watching: GOSSIP GIRL. I wrote about this last time (and maybe the time before too) but whenever I get a moment at night while Henry is asleep, and Hank is at class, gym, or practice, I indulge in some me-time and watch some GG. I honestly can't get enough. I'm currently in on episode 6 of Season 4 and I still can't believe I never watched it before this year! Other TV shows I refused to watch but then got into them much later: Gilmore Girls, Glee, and Desperate Housewives. Although I stopped watching the latter of the three in Season 4 or 5- it got too wacky for me.

Working on: getting as healthy as I can. I got my blood work back the other week and my doctor informed me that I was showing symptoms of hyperthyroidism. She believes this was brought on post-pregnancy, and because my symptoms are mild we are hoping my levels regulate themselves. I had more blood work yesterday to see where my levels were, and because I'm feeling pretty great I'm hoping it's close to getting resolved. But a lot of things make sense now; the weird night sweats I was having, the feeling of being light-headed...and apparently acne can also be a symptom! Crazy.

Thinking about: how much a certain change has really affected my outlook on blogging. As you guys may have read in my last "Currently" post, I recently stopped a particular writing obligation. I can't even tell you how much happier I feel writing and blogging here, and only here. I'm inspired, excited, and I'm really loving it again. This is not my job. It's a hobby, but it's important to me to keep doing it because I love it and not get caught up in trying to do more and more and more. Having to write when I didn't want to took the fun out of it for me. I once again feel happy and motivated about it, and I love that all of the things I would have previously published there are now in one place I call my own. One day I might find a place I enjoy contributing to where I feel like my time and effort is appreciated, but until then I will just focus just on my little corner right here.

Anticipating: my 30th birthday. It's in a little over a month and I couldn't be more excited. I know something is being planned, but I don't know what, and I'm really looking forward to spending that time with all of my best girlfriends, all in one place, wherever that place may be! 30 is kind of a big deal to me, but not for the reasons you may think. I'm actually really excited about turning 30. My 20s were so good to me, but I feel like the 30s are going to be the best yet; a time to enjoy all of the things I've learned over the past ten years and to focus on the important stuff. In the meantime, I'm enjoying pressing 2-9 on all the cardio machines for one more month, checking any and all boxes that say under-30, and calling myself a twenty-something whenever I can.

Listening to: Metric's Plug In, Plug Out Acoustic EP. Trust me and just download it or load it into your Spotify. It's not new, but it's new to me and I'm so in love with every song. If you haven't heard it yet, and end up getting it, let me know what you think!

Eating: I'm currently in such a cooking and baking mood. I've made something new every other day or so (recipes to come) and I've been enjoying trying new things and new meal ideas. Next I'm trying to "vegetarian-ize" a recipe for quinoa buffalo chicken bites! ha. Hank is excited so I really hope it works out. We'll see though- I'm using some plain Quorn chicken which neither of us particularly love, but we have some leftover in our freezer so I want to use it up. If the recipe works, I'll share it soon.

Wishing: that Cadbury mini eggs were calorie free. After my whole no-sugar thing I am still really watching the amount I ingest, but I just cannot say no to these things. Luckily I only have one of the small bags left so that should get me through the weekend. Or next hour, whatever. ;)

How about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments! And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

50 comments:

  1. he's precious. i just did a sort of "currently" post called "right now..." inspired by yours! it was a lot of fun.
    link: http://blog.kellychristinephoto.com/?p=4077

    btw, love your writing. i really enjoy reading it!
    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the hyperthyroidism is very mild and will likely straighten itself out. I think I mentioned it before, but I battled that condition for years. So, feel free to hit me up with questions or use me as a sounding board if the need arises.

    Also, I cannot take how handsome Henry is right now.

    One more thing. Speaking of books, I recently read an AMAZING blogger memoir that I think you would enjoy: Rurally Screwed. I wrote about it in a recent post. Kindle it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your health is getting sorted out! As it happens, I am on a Gossip Girl Season 4 kick, too! I stopped watching it a while back and I am so enjoying getting to catch up. Henry is cutie patootie in that pic, too! ♥

    www.boxandbrownie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently started watching Gossip Girl and am surprised by how much I am enjoying it. http://themeredithtolsma.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, if you could make those Cabury Eggs last for a weekend then you wouldn't be human.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 30 is definitely a big deal. I used to hate the idea of turning 30, but lately, it seems more and more okay. I agree that things are going to get better with wisdom and experience. Plus, I'm pretty proud of what I have accomplished in my 20's. No regrets. :-)

    http://where-is-my.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thyroid issues run in my family (dad, sister, aunt, both cousins) it's scary but controallable. I hope things mellow out soon. Just a thought but you may want to let your sister know it couldn't hurt if she had a blood test done too.

    Here is my "currently", thanks for the idea.
    http://www.valleygrownblog.com/2012/04/currently.html

    jenn from valleygrownblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for telling us about the band Metric. I listened to them and love them now. The acoustic songs are so pretty. The Lucky One is worth the read. I just read it and it's a good one. I plan on seeing the movie now that I have finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy hump day :)

    http://carolynandbetty.tumblr.com/post/21358854122/currently

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband is dealing with thyroid issues too, its intense. Sorry you have to go through that. Your posts always inspire me so much, heres my currently post:

    http://boatsnbirds.blogspot.com/

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first time taking a crack at this one and weirdly, this was a bit harder than ordinary blog writing - it's tricky to find the right balance of backstory and over/under explaining! Also, anticipating was especially hard as we've got some family changes on the docket for this summer that I'm not ready to go public with, though they're taking up hell of brain space! ANYWHOOO. Here I am. Over explaining my link.

    http://whuffling.com/2012/04/18/currently/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes!! I love Nickolas Sparks, he is one of my favourites, the sappy writing always gets me!
    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must have missed the last one. I'm happy that you're happy. I have a good friend that has her own blog and also blogs for Babble and she's always exhausted and stressed. The whole point is creative outlet for me and I can totally understand your decision. Can't wait to read more of what you wrote.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I have hypothyroidism and it's no piece of cake! But let's hope your hormone levels normalize. ;)
    I'm listening to the metric ep you recommended and it's pretty interesting.
    Yay for the almost birthday girl!
    Great post as always! :)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Henry looks so grown up in that photo! What a cutie!
    Love these posts - and did one of my own again.... http://athinaj.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/currently.html

    xo athina

    ReplyDelete
  16. What if the big Cadbury Creme Eggs were as good for you as real eggs? My life would be radically altered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Danielle - I finally wanted to take a moment to let you know that I really love your blog! It's so upbeat and positive, and it really puts a big smile on my face.

    I'm also turning 30 this year, and it does feel like a big deal. It seems like this landmark age, a crossroads where you can really be true to yourself and be comfortable in your own skin. I hope that I do more of that in my 30s versus my 20s (which were not half-bad because I met the love of my life during those years too!).

    Keep it up! I look forward reading more about your adventures :)
    All the best,
    Nisha

    PS - You inspired me to do my own "Currently" posts, which I'm calling "Presently." Here's the link to my blog called "Eastern Standard Times": http://www.nishaksquared.com/. I hope you'll check it out and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Gossip Girl, I need to start watching it again i stopped in the middle of last season and never picked back up. Also those Cadbury eggs are so yummy I still have a huge bag of them I probably never should have bought. Sorry to hear about your thyroid issue hope it clears up. I know some people who have found success with diet and essential oils. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh man, if cadbury eggs had no calories, they would be my main food group! i treated myself to a few over easter and since i only have them that one weekend of the year, they are such a delicious treat.
    sarah dessen is my go-to guilty pleasure read. she writes more for young adult and her books are so easy to read and remind me of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Danielle, I've been reading your blog which has inspired me to start my own over here in Brisbane, Australia. You write beautifully and I hope I have half the positivity that you have. It puts a smile on my face every day.

    I've just posted my own 'Currently.' - I'd love for you to read it. http://grownupnotold.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/currently.html

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just started to get back into Gossip Girl, and I am hooked.

    A few days ago you posted a picture on twitter of a veggie lasagna that looked to die for...you should post the recipe!

    Cadbury eggs don't have calories at my house...at least that is what I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have you all tried the Gardein meatless chicken? I'm a vegetarian and don't use the meat substitutes very often, but the Gardein brand ones have been pretty tasty and don't have a scary ingredient list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love to read your Currently posts! They always put a smile on my face and inspires me to do post about myself on my blog more often.
    I've been reading your blog for a while now and I love your writing.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xo Sari

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these post and I love coming up with my own. Thanks for sharing:)
    http://thewoodsonway.com/2012/04/19/currently-2/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to see The Lucky One. I haven't read it though. I used to read a lot of Sparks books. My grandma does too which I think is really cute :) I'm going to put Metric's Plug In, Plug Out Acoustic EP on my Spotify & give it a listen. ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh Nicholas Sparks. Love his books. I read The Lucky One a couple of years ago. I've been trying to find it, but I'm pretty sure it's in a box somewhere from moving a few times in the last couple years. I want to reread before I see the movie.

    And Gossip Girl! I've been catching up on it. My husband and I watched it regularly for the first 2 seasons or so and now I'm catching up on the rest while I clean and get ready for a yard sale this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just finished reading The Lucky One. In prep to see the movie with weekend with a friend. I thought it was one of Nicolas Spark's best novels. I'm such a sap so they all get to me but I actually really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I definitely have to start working on becoming healthier. Summer is almost here and I need to say bye bye to my extra pounds! hahaha. :-)

    xoxo
    Ida

    You can read my Currently post here :
    http://asplashofida.blogspot.ca/2012/04/i-am-currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love gossip girl! I haven't watched in years. Putting that on my to do list! I did a currently post too. wideopensunset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I love these kinds of posts!

    Here's my 'currently' post: http://tabihappy.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    xo, Tabi

    p.s. Don't tell anyone, but I've been 29 for 4 years now. Shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  31. GOSSIP GIRL!!! Ah guilty pleasure number 1. I'm halfway through re-watching season 3 which i my very favorite season. Season 4 is my second favorite I think, and season 2 might be my least favorite, although Season 5 is trying to edge two out. I love them all though. So well written. It seems like every episode, someone says something that I have totally said. I totally love your public admission of loving that show!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a handsome little man :)

    Thanks again for the inspiration. Here's my currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/04/currently_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved reading your post, and I decided to join in once again... http://www.kelliewinnell.com.au/?p=9162

    ReplyDelete
  34. Was writing for HG a bad experience (time & effort not appreciated)? Just wondering!

    Also, I can't wait to see The Lucky One!!

    Link to mine: http://ohhmerp.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooks!

      I totally should have rephrased that. It wasn't bad at ALL. It just wasn't worth it for me to give my time and energy for free! <3

      Hope that clarifies- it was a great experience. <3

      Delete
    2. That makes total sense! Thanks for the reply and comment : )

      Delete
  35. oh wow, I was recently dealing with hyperthyroidism out of nowhere as well.... my last results showed that it corrected itself, hoping the same for you my friend,

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi danielle,

    Thanks for the inspiration. Just started this new blog of mine.

    http://solosingaporean.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/currently/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just found your blog and I love it! Thanks for all the delicious recipes! Can't wait to try them out! And your little boy is super cute! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm with you, 30 will be the best yet!

    I started my own currently series last month (thanks for the inspiration!) and just did another one. It's pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome blog idea.

    http://sheneanigans.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/currently/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I turn 30 soon too! When is your birthday? Mine is May 25th. I'm excited about it too. Husband has a little something plannned, and we're also going camping.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Linked up with your Currently post and did my own on my blog, check it out! http://flightofcara.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    Thanks Danielle! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really like this post idea :). And I also treat myself to Nicholas Sparks from time to time, just because they're nice--and that's the only way I can put it. It's like wrapping yourself up in a book blanket , even though as you mentioned, there is the problem with tears. So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome post as usual, if the recipe works out you'll have to share :)
    Just a heads-up that Quorn isn't actually vegan! Not in the UK at least!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I also just watched GG this year. Netflix convinced me ;) It's really addicting and now I'm all caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just did my first "currently" post! Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://girlwithkaleidescopeeyes.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    -Desiree
    www.walking-contradiction.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips