Monday, April 30, 2012

Currently.

Untitled
 I have a thing for self-portraits & clouds, I guess. I have about 3 or 4 photos just like this.


Reading: In Zanesville: A Novel. I just started this book so I'm only on page 14 (I actually just put my Kindle down to type up this post), but so far so good, if I can even judge it yet. It was a random book that Amazon recommended to me, and I've had good luck with their recommendations before, so I'm hoping this one follows suit. I think it's something about the summertime, but as soon as May rolls around I always find myself reading more than ever.

Watching: Rosemary's Baby. Again. This movie is in my top three movies of ALL TIME and I watch it often. I love everything about it- the story line, the architecture of the old buildings, the clothing (oh, the clothing!), and of course, Mia. And what I wouldn't give for a first edition copy of the actual novel, from 1967. If you haven't seen this film, rent it tonight! I know you'll love it in all of its creepy glory.

 
Thinking about: lots 'o blog stuff. I read an amazing post recently and it was everything I needed to hear- it's probably the best post about blogging I've ever read.  So seriously, if you have a moment, check it out. It started a whole series of thoughts, especially since I'd already been thinking a lot about how I enjoy it most when I don't care or think about numbers or hits or page views and just write, and that's what I've been doing. I also really loved what Ryan said about negative comments and/or criticism. I used to get so bent out of shape by stuff like that but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. And not even the pretend "it doesn't bother me at all" then go obsess about it for 30 minutes kind of thing I used to do. I've evolved/grown up, whatever you want to call it, and I don't mind the negative stuff at all. If everyone agreed with me or loved me, that would be pretty boring, and I think it was important for me to come to the conclusion that if I put it out there, I am opening myself up to whatever may come, good opinions or bad. I'm happy to just go with the flow and it's awesome to have this sense of peace with it...I am almost 30 after all! Ha.

Loving: hot yoga. I've been going 3-4 times a week for the past few weeks and I am so in love with it. My sister, Mom, and a couple of my girlfriends had been going down in Phoenix for awhile and I'd wanted to try it forever. I attended a class of a friend up here and loved it, then ended up checking out a different studio with another friend of mine and really, really fell in love with it. It's been by far the best thing I've ever done for myself physically, and the benefits extend to my spiritual and emotional self too. I was scared to try it at first- all new things (especially new things in 90+ degree heat) can be a little intimidating, but if your local studio is anything like the one I go to it's absolutely worth giving it a try. And if you do, let me know what you think!

Anticipating: the month of May. There's always so much excitement going on- Mother's Day, Shirley's birthday, my birthday, our anniversary, and Hank's birthday (even though his is June 1st).  Lot of love, lots of celebrations!

Listening to: Gaslight Anthem's new song from their album that will be released this summer. They are one of my favorite bands, and although I liked it I wasn't the hugest fan of their most recent album. From the sound of this song they have returned to their roots, and I am really excited to hear the rest of the tracks. This one is great!



Eating: salad. I'm on the biggest salad kick. I have a favorite homemade dressing I make that I've gotten all of my friends obsessed with too, and it makes every salad that much better.

Feeling thankful for: lots. Hank and his ability to snap me out of any bad mood I find myself in. Henry and his new "scaring everyone" game that leaves us laughing so hard we cry. Mexican food (always). The simple but often overlooked things- our home, enough food, etc. And for being able to spend free time exercising...this one is huge and I'm so grateful Hank and I make it a priority for both of us to get in gym/yoga time throughout the week.

How about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments!

46 comments:

  1. Oh, this post made me smile big.
    congrats on all the upcoming celebrations!
    You're always sweet!
    Man, I LOVE Rosemary's baby. A lot.
    I'll be the first one on the line to try hot yoga as soon as it comes to Brazil!
    Oh, how I would love to make/taste your salad dressing, but unfortunally some of the ingredients are pretty hard to find here, oh well! Haha! Someday...
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on a huge salad kick too! Everyday I've had a salad. I usually just use ranch, watered down, but what I really love about salads is all the stuff I put in it. Tomatoes, avocado, artichoke hearts and sometimes I take a piece of frozen garlic bread we have for spaghetti and cut it up and use it as "croutons". So yummy!


    I've been wanting to try your salad dressing, but haven't been able to find jalapeno mustard. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do yoga at home and really enjoy it. A friend of mine just started doing yoga for the first time and she jumped right into the hot yoga thing. She wants me to come to a class with her and I would LOVE to try it but I'm so worried about feeling dizzy/nauseous/dehydrated what have you in such high temperatures. I know you can't speak for anyone but yourself but I'd love to know if you had any concerns about any of the above and how you've felt during/after class. Thanks so much! (I love your Currently posts, as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet is such a weird place! Regardless of how big or small your space on the internet is it takes effort to stay connected to why you started the whole thing in the first place. Sometimes you just have to put on blinders and do your thing. Frecklewonder just wrote a great post sort of in line with the one you linked to. It motivated me to whittle down my reader, twitter, instagram. And now after reading the Pacing the Panic Room post I've got deleting twitter on the brain! Sometimes it takes someone else putting words to your feelings to really figure out what you need to do.

    Also- just tried hot yoga a couple months ago after years of being intimidated by it and it is SO AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the dressing recipe! I was just thinking today that I want to find one to make...I,too, am on a huge salad kick. I like bacon, avocado, romaine, one hard boiled egg, and homemade garlic croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that blogging post, it makes a lot of good points. Thanks for linking to it!

    Also, I wish I had the money to go to bikram all the time. I tried it once but never went back, since we lived so far away at the time. Now, it's down the street but funds are short! What is life, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing your post recently including hot yoga made me wish I had more friends that would join me doing hot yoga. I love the feeling afterward, yeah you are all sweaty but you feel refreshed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemary's Baby is in my top three too...alongside The Exorcist and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Such an amazingly good movie!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you read Mia Furrow's autobiography? Pretty good! I'd love to see a post about the spiritual and emotional benefits of yoga you've felt...I've never understood what the deal is?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading that blogging post. Thanks for linking to it! It really made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is our favorite salad. We make it all summer long. You will LOVE it: http://acollectionofpassions.com/blog/grilled-veggie-salad

    I adore this feature by the way.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been reading, a bunch. I've been traveling the US while my husband is in BASIC for the Air Force, and so I've been devouring my way through loads of books, and since I'm in Florida now (just left Colorado), I've been hitting up the beaches, and other exciting places. Harry Potter World next week! www.apassionateadventure.blogspot.com is my blog if you want to check it out.
    God bless,
    Aj

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://sincerelyhailey.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html

    i did one! and changed it up a little. :) i love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading this great book that's helping me think more positive. Did I share with you? I can't remember. Add More ING to your Life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen Rosemary's Baby and it scared the bejesus out of me.

    I am recovering from a really severe back injury and am thinking about starting to do Bikram to replace my old running routine that is now no longer/never again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Currently post... I did one of my own!

    http://anunordinaryhello.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've done yoga for a while, but over the past year I began Hot Yoga as well - I can't get enough! I can understand why most of us are apprehensive to start, but I also agree the benefits have been TOO good not to try it out. Unfortunately, none of my closest friends have been willing yet. Have you read: The Science of Yoga by William Broad: http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697650/the-science-of-yoga-the-risks-and-the-rewards

    If you check it out, let me know what you think :)
    - Sara (justmadforasentence.tumblr.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That picture rules and I really wanna try hot yoga.
    I have been meaning to...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hot yoga - now that's something I need to try! Love your currently post. Such great things coming up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that Gaslight Anthem song! I hadn't heard it yet; I'm so glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this kind of post, so nice to see a snapshot of your life :) I really, really want to try hot yoga but I don't know of anywhere close enough to me that does it :(

    I posted my own 'Currently' over on my blog Just Listen
    http://dontthinkorjudge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/currently.html

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heart yoga. Do you do Bikram, or heated Vinyasa? I do a heated Vinyasa class 3 times a week and I'm borderline obsessed with it :) Also - can't remember if I already asked, but when it your birthday? I turn 30 on the 25th! I'm quite excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. here's mine from last week :)
    http://dailydoily.typepad.com/peaceloveandcupcakes/2012/04/currently.html

    I couldn't find that mustard :( bummer! I'll have to try it with regular or some other kind?!?! I tried Bikram yoga once + barely made it haha. I had to just lay down.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rosemary's Baby is my favorite movie too. I have also read the book and of any movie based on a book I have seen, this one is the best.

    I ordered 50 shades of grey from amazon this week. Has anyone read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just finished mine now, although I should have been working on a paper: http://www.shortgirllongisland.com/2012/05/currently.html

    I really need to try hot yoga - there is a studio two miles from my house. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

    Regarding a first edition copy of Rosemary's Baby - check on amazon.com - I got a 1967 book club edition for under $7 with shipping. A few years ago, I snagged a first edition of The Stepford Wives. It was a library book, but I didn't care.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for posting that link to Ryan's blog, what he says is so profound and true, really makes me think about doing things differently, or at least shifting priorities. I really enjoy reading your currently posts, thanks for sharing : ) Amy Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm on a salad kick too!! Anticipation of the summer maybe?! I make a spicy honey mustard dressing & have it with leaves, sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes- yum. I've done my 'currently' too.. it's bliss reading your blog! http://kittybandits.blogspot.co.uk/ :)x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing that Pacing the Panic Room post. I recently went through something remarkably similar with my own blogging and have started afresh after taking a month long break and changing my priorities. My second post on my new blog was a "currently" one, so thanks for the inspiration as always!

    http://wellandcheaply.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. So fun fun! I posted a currently post on my blog as well! http://flightofcara.blogspot.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these posts you do!
    Here's mine - http://athinaj.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/currently.html

    xo
    PS: Happy almost birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always enjoy reading your posts! I have just posted one on my blog :)

    http://beautiful-littlethings.blogspot.ca/2012/05/currently-toronto-trip-part-ii.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this series. Such a positive idea to stop and think about the moment.

    http://mundanecstasy.com/look-ahead-may-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll be honest the idea of yoga makes me sleepy, is hot yoga more exciting then regular yoga? The Gaslight Anthem totally brings me back to high school, so good!

    I decided to give your Currently post a whirl, http://thepeachdiariess.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Took me an extra day to have a free molar-free moments! Writing it makes me realize that currently, I'm kind of in a lull - not really specifically *into* anything right now, which is a bit of a weird place to be.

    http://whuffling.com/2012/05/02/currently-2/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've always wanted to try hot yoga. I might have to check around to see if anyone hosts classes.

    I did a currently post today... I think it's my first one, actually. Fun!
    http://andshecamealive.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I did my very first currently post. I think I like it. :)

    It is here: http://jamieandsam.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently-i-am.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love Rosemary's Baby <3 . I watch it all the time too. Haha. But it does scare me to death. I always end up watching it when I'm alone in the house too and the walls of this building are so thin, I always end up hearing my neighbours creaking around at night. Oooooh, spooky. :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just love these posts you do! In fact, I decided to do one of my own, too! http://www.brockpaperscissorsblog.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes! I love Rosemary's Baby, one of the best horror films. Ever. I'm pretty sure my copy of Ira Levin's book is a first edition- paperback, though. Loving these "Currently" posts!

    ReplyDelete
  40. i love reading your currently posts! so i did one of my own too :)

    http://chanelpaulk.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you again for the inspiration. Here's my currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/05/currently.html

    And thank you for the motivation to get back into yoga and the suggestion... I'm on the Gossip Girl train. Still in season 1 but enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love these posts! It's fun to be able to look back on them and see what was going on in your own life at the time. Here's mine!

    http://giveitgrace.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love these posts so much, thanks for the invitation to give it a try! I love the idea of looking back over a year and remembering all the little things that were going on. Here's my shot at it!

    http://www.dearlyashleigh.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your currently posts! :) Here's mine:
    http://notsoaveragemomma.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently-4512.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Danielle,

    Your currently posts have inspired me, this is my second one now:

    http://grownupnotold.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/currently.html

    I'm moving towns soon and will definitely be checking into hot yoga, it sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. better late than never? http://erica-castillo.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips