Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kiddo/Adult Meal Idea: Broccoli & Cheese Quiche!

recipe post for blog

I get a lot of requests on Instagram to share some of the food I give to Henry, so I thought it would be fun to post recipes of all of my favorite kiddo/adult friendly fare. Henry is luckily a great eater and will try most anything, although he does LOVE to utilize a strong "no" even for his most favorite foods if the mood strikes. However the recipes I'll be sharing have been pretty successful in our house, with either Henry and me, or with the whole family! Hank is vegetarian and doesn't eat eggs (so no quiche for him), but the recipe I'm sharing next week is veg-friendly.

I love, love, love quiche and one of the best parts about it is that the ingredients are totally up for interpretation. Most veggies work wonderfully- imagine doing a Gouda and asparagus version? Yum. You can also add in meat - sliced ham, turkey, sausage- or even vegetarian meat like Boca crumbles or sausage. And for your picky eating kiddos, quiches are PERFECT for hiding all those "gross" veggies they might otherwise refuse, and also using up any and all extra produce in the fridge!

I previously posted this recipe, but my method has changed a bit so I thought I would update it, and share it with newer readers too. Enjoy!

Quiche recipe on blog

Here's what you'll need:

1 pie crust- I prefer spelt!
8 egg whites + 2-3 yolks
raw broccoli
shredded cheese

Quiche recipe on blog

When I make pie I typically make my own crust, but for this one I got the frozen version from our local health food store's freezer section. I think the nutty taste of the spelt is such a delicious combination with the cheesy egg flavor. The cost was about $5 for two crusts, but you can always go the less-expensive route and make your own, or buy a simple, generic crust.

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 and set out one frozen pie crust.

2) In a large mixing bowl, mix the white of 8 eggs with 2-3 yolks depending on your preference. I used to leave the yolks totally out, but I've come to learn that there are so many great benefits from them in moderation that now I almost always keep some in when cooking.

Quiche recipe on blog
Quiche recipe on blog

3) Add in your broccoli. I use raw broccoli and just break off the tops from the tough bottom ends, leaving me with smaller pieces.

4) Add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and lightly mix together all ingredients.

Quiche recipe on blog

5) Pour the mixture into the pie crust. You may have to gently mix it a couple times with a spoon once its in the crust, as the broccoli and cheese may pool on one side.

Quiche recipe on blog

6) Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Depending on your oven you may have to go a bit longer. You'll be able to tell once the top and crust get a bit golden brown and a fork, when inserted into the middle, comes out clean.

7) Enjoy! Henry and mama approved! ;)

Picnik collage1

I'll be back next week with a vegetarian friendly, super healthy meal idea the whole family can enjoy. Bon app├ętit!

28 comments:

  1. Yuuum this looks so easy and yummy! I totally want to try this with my little one.

    - Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good and super easy. I always thought quiche was so complicated so I've never tried to make it. I am going to give this a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I will have to try next week for my little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I love quiche! Super good. Great for leftovers too haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love making this garlic cauliflower quiche, which uses breadcrumbs rather than pie crust: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/breakfast-brunch-recipes/roasted-cauliflower-quiche-with-garlicky-green-beans

    Quiche is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so good! i can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! Bet my 8 year old would love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog and I love it! I read older posts as well and I love your honesty on many topics. i'm going to enjoy making & eating your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum yum! I love quiche and broccoli and cheese quiche is the absolute best!!

    I have a friend who makes a quiche with kale, toasted pine nuts and feta... you should try it sometime! It's absolutely divine!

    Happy Thursday pretty mama!

    <3
    Mrs. Biscuit

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quiche looks so yummy. I've used a whole wheat tortilla as the crust before too. The tortilla gets a little crispy, but still holds in all the yummy egg and cheese. I'd love to try the spelt crust too.

    Can't wait to see more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks good, love those spelt crusts. only suggestion: you could have used a bit more filling! i learned from a baker to fill them as full as you can without spilling over the sides. quiches love to be big & beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I wanna try it now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i had quiche for the first time a few months ago at a wedding. i usually hate egg-y things, but it was amazing. i'm so glad you posted this so i can make it for myself, and my parents!! :)
    xoxo, lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I love serving quiche to my family for the same reasons! It's really easy to add whatever veggies I have on hand, which makes super convenient. Also, my kids love the to say they are eating "egg pie."

    Vang :)

    www.mylovelylist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quiche looks so yummy! Definitely gonna try this one, it's so easy to make and so nice to serve. Hopefully I can find a crust like that here in Holland!

    xo Sari

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so yummy and would be perfect for Easter breakfast. Thanks for posting this at such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious! This is quite similar to one I have done in past but oddly enough broccoli slipped my mind I'm so excited to add this lovely item into it thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so very yummy, thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. i had a pretty torrid love affair with quiche last year while living in seattle. it was a very intense but very rewarding relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these types of posts! Looking forward to the vegetarian recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Quiche! SO easy, so healthy and toddler friendly, you can put literally anything in it. I see Henry is using his fingers, it looks like you did BLW with him? I just wrote a blog post on BLW, interested to know your thoughts too??

    Louise xo

    http://cominghomesoon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Danielle! I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i've been super into quiches and pies lately...after watching the waitress for the 100th time : ) so good. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. if you put some milk in it it will come out lighter and fluffier. My mom makes this for me, oy, it's my comfort food.

    Also, on a day when you don't have a crust handy I like to make an 'egg pie', which is the same as quiche except it has 1/2c bisquick in it. Here's the link in you wanna try. I promise this is not spam, haha.

    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/impossibly-easy-broccoli-and-red-pepper-pie/90aa15a7-e9d6-4e12-9c74-99df168e396d?WT.mc_id=taf_recipe_BC

    ReplyDelete
  25. Quite Yummy, if i do say so myself. Fabulous post dear. Thank you so much for sharing
    xoxo
    Morgan
    http://thesocialboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great recipe! I'm going to make it crust-less and then voila, it's gluten free. =]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicious! I can't wait to try it! And, I can't wait for your super delicious vegetarian recipe coming soon! :) Thanks for being such a great blogger. I LOVE reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm making this for dinner tonight! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips