Thursday, April 26, 2012

Literate & Stylish: Jess from TART

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 








from Jess, of TART

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games is a trilogy that snuck up on me even though everyone assured me that I would love it. It's the story of a girl who has to grow up too fast, make decisions one should never have to make and do whatever it takes to ensure her family and friends are safe. You'll have no choice but to fall in love with the characters and cheer on even the worst of them at some point or another. With heroes like the struggling girl next door, the stylist/activist and the pitiful drunk. With villains in the form of a hegemonist, a materialistic society, a man with the power of life or death by button and unique mutations. With unexpected humor, inevitable sadness, real and palpable love instead of fairytale fluff and so much more, this book is one that pulled me in and still won't let go long after my eyes ferociously scanned the last sentence of Mockingjay. Don't let all of the Hollywood hype fool you into overlooking this story because if nothing else, it's an entertaining and easy read that is sure to stir up enough emotion that you just have to finish all three books! May the odds be ever in your favor...


23 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a feature! Can't wait to see if some other girl's favourite is the same as mine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I hear about it, the more I think I need to read The Hunger Games! Awesome feature:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed- I'm on Mockingjay right now, but I've flown through these books. I really hate 'jumping on bandwagons', but these books are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I'm loving your layout at the moment!

    Those are such gorgeous photos of jess! i just started hunger games this week actually, really enjoying it.

    love the new feature! :)

    barnicles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, once a book becomes a huge movie, I tend to get turned off. But your description has given me some second thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her pictures :) I have only read the first book, but I am in the begining of the second one. I LOVED the first one! ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess is the shit! Love her. And the Hunger Games. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your literate and stylish posts! I'm working on book #2 of the HG. And that shirt is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to be a part of this series you are doing! It's so great! I have finished the Hunger Games series and was a mix of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally with you! Don't let Hollywood's hype ruin the story for you!! I got an HG tattoo - maybe a regret later, but whatever - the story is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I resisted The Hunger Games for so long. I'm typically opposed to hyped up teen-books-turned-movies... but several friends assured me I was wrong. Promised me I would like it. And told me it was NOTHING like Twilight (apparently, this book was actually good)... so I gave it a shot... and i LOVED it!! I ended up reading all three books in three days!! I couldn't put it down haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this new segment you are doing!! So fun to see what other gals are reading!

    Krista F

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hunger games ? How unoriginal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      If you continue to read this series you will see a wide variety of books, from more popular novels like these to obscure ones, scholarly ones, etc. I don't invite these women to my blog to receive judgment or criticism- only to share what their favorite book is. The Hunger Games may be a popular book, but I definitely wouldn't call it unoriginal. We all like what we like, and just because something is widely read doesn't make it any less great or "unoriginal" to share.

      Thanks,
      Danielle

      Delete
    2. Danielle,

      I am always in awe of your tact. Classy, as always!

      Delete
  14. Ok, after reading "Don't let all of the Hollywood hype fool you into overlooking this story because if nothing else, it's an entertaining and easy read that is sure to stir up enough emotion that you just have to finish all three books!", I wanna read it too. haha!
    LOVING this feature! Well done! ;)

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome feature! I'm constantly devouring tons and tons of books, so I'm looking forward to finding some new favorites here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED Hunger Games - so much that I choose finishing the books over sleeping and eating (luckily they were a quick read!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great books! Also would love to know where she got her iPad cover...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for having me Dani! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore this feature, and the Hunger Games series. It really does suck you in and chew you up before spitting you out somewhat gently. :p I really love the concept of the world Katniss lives in, it's amazing (and freaky).

    Thanks for sharing with us, Jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Before watching the film and reading the book, I couldn't understand why there was such a hype around this story. But now that I know the book, I simply love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Jess! I'm always curious what her favorite book was.


    (btw, has it really been this long since I've read blogs?!)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips